Free Returnal Update Adds Co-op + Game Mode

Maxemole

On 23/03/2022 at 0:49 PM, Fr_0zt said:

3-4/10.  First time will be difficult cuz many of us are probably super rusty.  I can get to phase 4 laughing now and the boss is super easy, specifically with leech rounds from the carvine. 

Edit:

10-15 hours to get all DLC trophies. 

I would say at the beginning5-6/10 because you need a bit of skills. Once you are comfortable with the game, it's a 3-4/10. Even a 1-2/10 for some people. It's a real learning by doing game. 

I am happy I didn't play the game for a long time, cause I had to die quite a lot of times before finally beating the phase 3 boss. But then it was so much fun and very doable. You just need some rusty period !

Btw at the end, I only had to beat the third boss once to get the final cutscene after going back to the hospital. 

Some few tips I would definitely give for those who have troubles : 

- The best defence is to attack, to be agressive and use melee also for the small ennemies. A good idea is to collect weapon upgrade as much as possible (since you can improve your health with resin and in other rooms). 

- Keep your protection shield item (a must have item for this dlc) for the phase 3 (as well as the special weapons) with the disgorgers (only use them if it's absolutely necessary or if you want to be safe for the latest and hardest phase 3 rooms. Don't use them at the beginning (unless you are about to die of course), since you can restore your health quite easily in the beginning. 

-Use the grapple / grappling hook, as much as possible, it can save your life.

At the end of phase 3 and for the later phases, if you get hit, even once, this can kill you so quickly... So having disgorgers is very important to move further.

Interesting items to progress beyond the phase 3 also include :

-The special item that can allow you to reuse your objects ; it' is also definitely a must-have! 

-The item that allow to grab more stuffs after killing the enemy, in later phases, resin is quite rare in my opinion

Good luck in Atropos ;) 

ps : some guy reached the 25th phase, that's just insane haha

Edited by KingOfGold
  • Like 1

Sharing some of the sentiments above. What a great game hey. DLC is fun and a bit of a challenge. The more you play the easier it seems. I can't really explain why I think this game is so amazing, but it is. I think I will plat this again on my alternative again.

• Like 2

On 25.3.2022 at 7:43 AM, Maxemole said:

Already beat Algos' final phase, died some way into Phase 4. This DLC is awesome and wow I missed this game.

100% agreed felt so good to get back to this one. I usually dislike dlc but i really hope Housemarque releases more content in the future i can't get enough of this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Patch 3.03 is now live.

Reminder that if you have the automatic updates turned on, the game will close while in rest mode in order to install the update.

Returnal update 3.03 will balance the difficulty in the Tower of Sisyphus. As a result of the update, the leaderboards will be reset.

Bug fixes:

• Tower of Sisyphus: Added Audio Log 94 to additional location in the tower

• Tower of Sisyphus: Fixed a rare issue where Algos might refuse to die, or die too early in the tower

• Tower of Sisyphus: Increased leaderboard scrolling speed

• Co-Op: Fixed several issues where a client or host might encounter a black screen or hang when moving between biomes during co-op play

• Co-Op: Fixed multiple minor gameplay bugs

• Co-Op: Fixed two rare crashes in co-op mode

Noticed some spawn changes. Like I get Broken automaton mad early now for example. In terms of changes heard, it seems to be a max shield vial in place(5) and enemy counter on hit is guaranteed to happen as a permanent. I need to work on my coilspine shredder now it seems. Enemy definitely got damage buffs I think for phase 4 on. I died with what I thought was a decent amount of health on one hit. Also I feel like the scoring changed some too(may be a mind thing lol). 

• 8 months later...

Just revisited this old thread to say that the Ascension update is probably one of the most enjoyable DLCs that I can think of (and it's free!), and to me, it even beats the main game gameplay-wise. It's only in the tower that I realized how many gun traits I hadn't unlocked in the main game and how much of a difference they make. I also felt much more inclined towards experimenting with different guns, while before I would mostly stick to one, maybe two guns I felt most comfortable with. If I could change one thing about the trophies, it would be a requirement for a high score (nothing too crazy), as now there is no real incentive to keep the points multiplier up, but playing with the multiplier in mind spices things up even more (it requires a whole new approach to attacking). But still, an absolute gem of an udpate and one that makes me feel like playing it some more after trophies.

As a bit of trivia, the first person on leaderboards is now at 1,200,xxx,xxx points (which is phase 59 or 60) - how mind-blowing is that (completing phase 3 is required for the final trophy). Apparently, though, some cheap strats are necessary to go that far (and a run may last upwards of 20 hours; it may also cause overheating of the console and crashes).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05.04.2022 at 8:18 PM, Lightsp33d1987 said:

Has anyone done the platinum in co-op or most of it? Any problems in co-op? Not talking about DLC just the trophies needed for the platinum like are there any trophies people have found won't pop in co-op?

Any info about this question? Is it faster or easier to get platinum in co-op?

On 3/3/2023 at 4:34 PM, DireIvan said:

Any info about this question? Is it faster or easier to get platinum in co-op?

No issues at all with trophies in co-op. I just did a run today online and got a survey trophy while in someone else's world. So it registered the last cypher I happened to find while playing in someone else's lobby. The first time I beat the game someone was in my lobby and I got the trophy for beating the boss, I believe they did as well. 

If you have a good partner and can chat with them it is much easier. However, if you are playing with a random it will be much harder. Good item management and gun rerolls make co-op better hands down. 

Edited by iamthedotcom
  • Like 1

On 07.03.2023 at 7:18 AM, iamthedotcom said:

No issues at all with trophies in co-op. I just did a run today online and got a survey trophy while in someone else's world. So it registered the last cypher I happened to find while playing in someone else's lobby. The first time I beat the game someone was in my lobby and I got the trophy for beating the boss, I believe they did as well. 

If you have a good partner and can chat with them it is much easier. However, if you are playing with a random it will be much harder. Good item management and gun rerolls make co-op better hands down. 

Thanks a lot. I want to complete this game in co-op without any issues with my friend. So we will try this game later

On 3/9/2023 at 1:16 AM, DireIvan said:

Thanks a lot. I want to complete this game in co-op without any issues with my friend. So we will try this game later

Happy to help. The host won't be able to perform a gun reroll, but the additional player will be able to.

For example, lets say you have a level 0 Hollowseeker and you sprint to Biome 3 and get the weapon proficiency item to instantly take your level to 8 or 9. You would throw down your weapon and your friend could reroll it directly to a level 8 or 9 Hollowseeker. They can only do it once per gun, but it is just a really good way to extend the life of a good weapon if it has become underleveled on your current biome. 

Great game, with pretty decent multiplayer mechanics for a game not originally released with the feature. Love it, but glad I'm done ??

Edited by iamthedotcom
  • Like 1