Could somebody explain to me what the difference is between save rollback vs chapter select etc?

I'm playing through the game and missed an outfit in chapter 12. I'm not using a guide or anything, it's just that the game stupidly won't allow me to drop to a platform to reach the outfit even though this drop would not, logically, kill me. It's frustrating because I can see the missed collectable and it won't allow me to get back to it because I've apparently gone past the point where I can, and the game has closed off the exit behind me. Thus, my only option is to replay chapter 12. However, when I replay chapter 12 it sets me back to literally where I was at the point of that chapter in terms of ability points and skills. The only thing it has saved is my outfit/s I found in chapter 12. Is there any way to restart chapter 12 with my abilities and skills, compendium up to date?

I've seen all this talk about "save rollbacks" and it just seems needlessly convoluted for a game like this, and I don't want to spoil the story by checking the guide.

4 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I'm playing through the game and missed an outfit in chapter 12. I'm not using a guide or anything, it's just that the game stupidly won't allow me to drop to a platform to reach the outfit even though this drop would not, logically, kill me. It's frustrating because I can see the missed collectable and it won't allow me to get back to it because I've apparently gone past the point where I can, and the game has closed off the exit behind me. Thus, my only option is to replay chapter 12. However, when I replay chapter 12 it sets me back to literally where I was at the point of that chapter in terms of ability points and skills. The only thing it has saved is my outfit/s I found in chapter 12. Is there any way to restart chapter 12 with my abilities and skills, compendium up to date?

I've seen all this talk about "save rollbacks" and it just seems needlessly convoluted for a game like this, and I don't want to spoil the story by checking the guide.

If memory serves you can logically go back to the previous chapter and work your way through your collectible get to a check point then chapter select back to where you left off but you may want to just remember the location And go back after you beat the game just in case

I do remember going back to farm kills before I finished the game but I dont remember having to recollect any collectibles so I dunno how that would work

1 minute ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

If memory serves you can logically go back to the previous chapter and work your way through your collectible get to a check point then chapter select back to where you left off but you may want to just remember the location And go back after you beat the game just in case

I do remember going back to farm kills before I finished the game but I dont remember having to recollect any collectibles so I dunno how that would work

Not sure I'm understanding you but you can't chapter select without completing the chapter first.

Also, when you went back to farm kills before completing the game how did you get back to the point you were currently at? Did you simply press continue?

Ok, I figured it out for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation on their first playthrough:

Basically, if you replay a chapter for a certain outfit all you need to do is collect the outfit and you can quit to the menu as soon as you obtain it. No need to replay the entire chapter. Your skills/abilities will roll back to what they were the first time you started the chapter but don't worry as this isn't permanent.

If you wish to continue your campaign as normal simply press 'continue' from the main menu and you'll be thrown into the chapter you're currently at (in my case, chapter 13). Replaying a chapter doesn't erase your progress; chapter replays are independent of your current campaign so you're safe. Your skills and abilities will also be up-to-date. Additionally, any of the character mementos you've found already won't be erased either. It may appear as unlocked in the 'items' tab until you speak to the related team mate in the ship.

Lastly, replaying the chapter appears to have glitched for me in a good way: I got a trophy called 'Fully loaded' when reactivating Gamora's ultimate power for the second time even though I hadn't invested in all skills at that point (was one teammate short)

I'm assuming that the 'save rollback' feature, on the other hand, allows you to erase progress from the point at which you select and essentially continue a fresh campaign from then onward but not sure.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,
The difference is detailed in the platinum trophy guide I wrote for the site. In a nut shell the differences are as follows:

Chapter select allows you to simply replay a chapter. Your progress (including collectibles costumes and galactic compendium entries) are all reset to where they were during your previous playthrough. If you are in New Game this will likely mean you will still have some missing abilities. However, once you complete the chapter you are returned to the main menu. If you make different choices while in chapter select they will not be persisted when you play subsequent chapters via chapter select. Because each time you use it, it always resets to the progress you were at during your previous play through.

Save rollback is a variant of chapter select. It also resets your progress back to where you were at during your previous playthrough. However, it actually modifies your save file and actually resets it back to that point in the story. This means that the changes you make will actually get carried forward and you will be able to play on past that chapter you selected.

So let's use a real example here to make things concrete. Let's say you spent too much money in chapter 6 during your first play through and you were unable to pay your fine in chapter 9. With chapter select you could replay chapter 6 but your different choices wouldn't be carried forward when you selected chapter 9 afterwards. However, with save rollback you can reset your save to chapter 6. Then you can not spend all your money in that chapter. Then you can play through chapters 7 - 8 and then pay your fine in chapter 9. The benefit here is that you can avoid replaying through chapters 1-5 and save a bit of time.

Anyways, I really hope that helps.

Edited by grim_fendango
  • Like 1