Pachter Saying PS is Doomed

LegendExeter

I wanted to check and see if anyone else got this gaming news?  If so have you had a chance to read, and your thoughts on what Pachter said in regard to the playstation being doomed from console wars buying up exclusive studios.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/pachter-playstation-is-doomed-and-will-cease-to-exist-in-ten-years/#:~:text="I think Playstation is doomed,have no chance of competing."

It’s 10x more likely that Sony/Nintendo would just concede and allow Gamepass to be an app on Playstation/Switch than either exit the market.

That’s Microsoft’s end game, they want more Gamepass subscribers, selling Xbox hardware is the hard way to get those currently.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 1

Obviously that particular random prediction is bullshit, however Sony/Playstation have stopped even trying to innovate really.  Where Nintendo/Microsoft have taken pretty significant risks that have mostly paid off between the handheld/console hybrid and Game Pass just dominating their portfolios, Sony has gotten very complacent just riding their exclusives and branching out as little and as risk averse as possible.

To say they'll just up and disappear is ridiculous, but I'm not really sure where the Playstation brand is heading at this point.  And that stagnation and uncertainty is probably where these dramatic opinions come from.  They aren't as unstoppable as they think they are, and I'm not sure how the landscape looks if they realize that too late.

EDIT: I'm also of the opinion that PSN is about as poorly built as a service of its caliber can be, from an outsiders perspective.  Things like how difficult and poorly implemented name changes were (once they finally got around to it), show it was designed with virtually no forethought and makes you wonder where other bottlenecks might be.  As the digital age requires more and more out of these services, I think PSN is going to have a harder and harder time keeping up.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I have followed Michael Pachter for years now.  He's had his own show called Pachter Factor on a YT channel called SIFTD Games for years.  I find him as a competent voice in the gaming industry and I'm always interested in listening to his opinion.  That said, and as many above have commented on, he's been wrong with many of his bold predictions in the past. 

I'm rather surprised that he would make a comment like this because a statement saying Playstation is doomed and will cease to exist as we know them in 10 years seems to be pure speculation.  Without substantial evidence and analysis such as declining sales/market share, poor decisions that has led to expected declining sales, lack of innovation, ignoring current trends, or even a huge spike in competitor sales or market share, there's no expert in any field that can accurately predict a business collapse of a very successful and profitable business in 10 years time. 

He uses the example of the quick expansion of Game Pass.  I would agree that Game Pass has a lot of steam behind it and it's been extremely successful for Microsoft.  And yes, Sony should pay serious attention and come up with a plan to counter it or at least make their offerings more attractive in the future.  Absolutely.  But to boldly predict that Playstation is doomed in 10 years, a business that has been incredibly successful for the past decade, has continued to release profitable and popular games on the regular, continue to innovate and upgrade at all levels (system UI, PS5 controller, new paths of revenue on PC and eventually mobile, etc.), and a company that consistently sits at number one over competitors in sales and profitability seems to be a major stretch and, in my opinion, irresponsible comment as he's a major voice in the industry.  In most cases with any industry, it's extremely unlikely that 10 year predictions will be accurate by any expert analysis.  

I haven't seen this info myself other than the article posted by the OP so I want to look into this further to see if there's more to these comments than Game Pass.  No matter the response, I stand by my comments above; 10 year predictions are pure speculation, at best.

Edited by Paperclip1776

20 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

That is the most important question here. Who is this Pachter and why should I care what he says?

He's a market analyst for Wedbush Securities.  I can't remember if he works on Wall St. or not, yet high up the financial markets.  He used to be on a podcast I would watch years ago, can't remember if it was on gametrailers.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tLP1TfIijcpKisyYPTiz81MzkhMzVEoSEzOKEktAgCJzwnL&q=michael+pachter&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS957US958&oq=michael+pachter&aqs=chrome.1.69i59j46i131i433i512j0i512l7.4152j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7 minutes ago, Paperclip1776 said:

haven't seen this info myself other than the article posted by the OP so I want to look into this further to see if there's more to these comments than Game Pass.  No matter the response, I stand by my comments above; 10 year predictions are pure speculation, at best.

I agree with you, I was pretty surprised as well when I got this suggested article this morning.  I don't see how Sony is just going to fall off the map, unless he is suggesting that due to the recent and past acquisitions by Microsoft they are holding all the cards, or some high money makers.

I don't know about GamePass, I have heard of it within games, yet I don't know what the MS Gamepass does for gamers??

58 minutes ago, LegendExeter said:

I don't know about GamePass, I have heard of it within games, yet I don't know what the MS Gamepass does for gamers??

Game Pass is a Microsoft subscription model that allows gamers to play a large (and growing) catalog of games.  Games are added and removed monthly but the catalog overall is growing in size.  The most enticing feature is that all first party games are available to Game Pass subscribers day one.  Games like Halo: Infinite, Forza Horizon and the upcoming Starfield will be available day one, among others.  Game Pass brings a lot of value and is now the driving force for Microsoft's future success with Xbox.  They would rather sell a Game Pass subscription than an Xbox Series X/S because of the ongoing revenue stream a subscription service will bring.

If you've heard of a rumored Playstation service called Spartacus, the rumor from creditable sources say that it's planning to be a competitor to Microsoft's Game Pass and is expected to be announced spring 2022.  I have my very strong doubts it will actually be a competitor because I don't believe Playstation will offer first party games day one, especially since they've already come out and said so to the contrary.  Day one first party games is the number one selling point of Game Pass, that is why buying Activision and Bethesda is a big deal.  All of those games, like CoD, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, etc. will be available day one if you subscribe to the Game Pass service.

Game Pass is a Microsoft subscription model that allows gamers to play a large (and growing) catalog of games.  Games are added and removed monthly but the catalog overall is growing in size.  The most enticing feature is that all first party games are available to Game Pass subscribers day one.  Games like Halo: Infinite, Forza Horizon and the upcoming Starfield will be available day one, among others.  Game Pass brings a lot of value and is now the driving force for Microsoft's future success with Xbox.  They would rather sell a Game Pass subscription than an Xbox Series X/S because of the ongoing revenue stream a subscription service will bring.

If you've heard of a rumored Playstation service called Spartacus, the rumor from creditable sources say that it's planning to be a competitor to Microsoft's Game Pass and is expected to be announced spring 2022.  I have my very strong doubts it will actually be a competitor because I don't believe Playstation will offer first party games day one, especially since they've already come out and said so to the contrary.  Day one first party games is the number one selling point of Game Pass, that is why buying Activision and Bethesda is a big deal.  All of those games, like CoD, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, etc. will be available day one if you subscribe to the Game Pass service.

I didn't think Sly integrated in-thread ads yet, but looks like Microsoft paid to just plop one right there... huh.

On Topic: So this "Pachter" (Nope, I've never heard of them before) copied some rant any number of whiners posts here about Sony daily and somehow him pasting it somewhere else makes it news? Spoiler alert: Seems like the type of person to move the goalpost when the timeframe comes and goes and it doesn't pan out how they (vaguely) describe it today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

didn't think Sly integrated in-thread ads yet, but looks like Microsoft paid to just plop one right there... huh.

On Topic: So this "Pachter" (Nope, I've never heard of them before) copied some rant any number of whiners posts here about Sony daily and somehow him pasting it somewhere else makes it news? Spoiler alert: Seems like the type of person to move the goalpost when the timeframe comes and goes and it doesn't pan out how they (vaguely) describe it today.

I understand if you haven't heard of Michael Pachter before but he's not some random guy on the internet posting comments.  He's a video game analyst who works for Wedbush Securities that has relationships with top exec's within the industry.  He's been around for many years, probably decades (pre-dates PS3).  His comment makes the news because people in powerful, decision-making positions in the industry listen to him.  If you or I posted something like this, it would be a 'throw away' comment and no one would care.  But, people listen to this guy, even when he's wrong.  And, yes, he's wrong in this article, again.

Regarding the Game Pass description, where can I collect my ad revenue?  Probably on the wrong site, huh?  

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update

Yeah, I don't know who this guy is either, but based on his previous statements mentioned above, he seems to take recent news and extrapolate a lot without stopping to think for a second.

GameCube didn't sell well? Wii will flop too!

Mobile market grew a lot recently? Consoles will die!

People didn't like WiiU? Switch doesn't make sense either!

Xbox game pass is very successful? PlayStation is doomed!