This is the end of the road for Elite Dangerous - No new Content

Shorah-

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.

With regards to what is coming next in Elite Dangerous, we look forward to sharing further news in due course.

David Braben

Had to happen.

Was a blast till it lasts.

• Like 4

i was expecting at least another trophy set for Odyssey but well, for me this is a good news since I don't want to come back to this game anymore. It just sucks that I have about 5 billion of credits and won't need them at all now.

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

The servers will probably also be shutting on console within the next year or two so maybe anyone who was ever interested in getting the trophies should consider it now. 

Yeah, makes me wonder how long the game will be supported at all on PlayStation. I read somewhere that when they made a similar decision for Mac, the servers stayed on for about two years before they pulled the plug. (Didn't fact-check this.)

I'd probably best get back to this, I still have a bunch of trophies to get. At least some (well okay, a whole lot) CQC grind... and racking up the credits for the carrier. Plus at some point need to get a few pilots together for the full wing trophy, haven't really played the game with other people. 

• Like 2

As long as they give me enough time to get the platinum i'm not that fussed. The spaghetti code in this game when it comes to trophies is crazy... unfortunately i haven't benefited from any lucky trophy pops, but i've seen people get cqc rank 50 pop when they've only played a couple matches, heck someone even got "visit Sagittarius" from a team deathmatch.... Unfortunately I've been on the opposite end of the spaghetti code and need more wins and kills for trophies than stated.

Also, if this end of updates to console includes community events, it'll make the platinum unobtainable for those that don't have the 10 community event trophy, of which I'm only 1 event away from.

Edited by t-H-3_d-O-u-G
  • Like 2

I only got into Elite last November and feel like I started to reach a good place now. I have a Carrier, a decent fleet (Anaconda, Cutter, T9, etc.) properly outfitted and engineered, some disposable income (around 2bil); even visited Sagittarius A and Colonia last month. I was really looking forward to what Odyssey was going to eventually provide us, since that's one element I felt the game was really lacking. But alas, no soup for us...

• Like 1

Has there been any word on if Community Goals will still continue on console, or are they just stopping major content development? Genuinely concerned about this as if they stopped it would make Elite Dangerous the first game on my profile that I can't 100%

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Solarus755 said:

Has there been any word on if Community Goals will still continue on console, or are they just stopping major content development? Genuinely concerned about this as if they stopped it would make Elite Dangerous the first game on my profile that I can't 100%

They're only doing Critical Updates from now on for the console versions, which sounds to me like they will only release an update if a gamebreaking bug is found but don't quote me on it.

11 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

They're only doing Critical Updates from now on for the console versions, which sounds to me like they will only release an update if a gamebreaking bug is found but don't quote me on it.

But I’m not sure if that just means for major content updates or not. We can still instance with PC players and all the horizons content is active, so I’m wondering if CGs will still continue on consoles. If they’re not, then that means 100% for me is now impossible and I’ll probably just stop trophy hunting altogether

By my count i only need 1 more community goal, so would be incredibly frustrated if there is no more available. I have had conflicting information, one from a elite dangerous community discord mod saying that Fdev have confirmed community goals will continue until they're only odyssey related, but then i also messaged Fdev on facebook and they said they have no news currently to share about community goals on console.

My current concern is that I have 40 cqc wins and still havn't got the 25 win trophy... so maybe regardless of community goals my platinum chances are screwed.

Edited by t-H-3_d-O-u-G

2 hours ago, t-H-3_d-O-u-G said:

By my count i only need 1 more community goal, so would be incredibly frustrated if there is no more available. I have had conflicting information, one from a elite dangerous community discord mod saying that Fdev have confirmed community goals will continue until they're only odyssey related, but then i also messaged Fdev on facebook and they said they have no news currently to share about community goals on console.

Ohhh no, another case of unclarity :( I hope it's gonna still be supported...

Please keep us updated if anything else would come up!

Edited by Sydoki

7 hours ago, t-H-3_d-O-u-G said:

My current concern is that I have 40 cqc wins and still havn't got the 25 win trophy... so maybe regardless of community goals my platinum chances are screwed.

Fingers crossed that the mod is correct... That would be a huge relief. I don't mind no lifing the last 100 or so hours needed to get 100% ASAP as long as that's an option by having community goals still be supported. I think I'm at 5 or 6? I guess we'll probably find out tomorrow when the expected CG reset happens...

Edited by Solarus755

3 hours ago, Solarus755 said:

Fingers crossed that the mod is correct... That would be a huge relief. I don't mind no lifing the last 100 or so hours needed to get 100% ASAP as long as that's an option by having community goals still be supported. I think I'm at 5 or 6? I guess we'll probably find out tomorrow when the expected CG reset happens...

If you havn't played the last month or two you've missed 6 or so super easy material delivery CG back to back the last couple weeks.

On 15/03/2022 at 8:44 PM, Solarus755 said:

I would assume they will be staying. Will need to find the faq they made again but it seemed to read that only future version updates would stop but they would not be stopping service completely. I'm assuming that service indicates community goals as well since they shouldn't need much at all to plan.

For anyone curious I also recall them mentioning an option for save transfer will not be available either. So if you want to continue on PC. Know you will need a fresh account.

8 hours ago, t-H-3_d-O-u-G said:

If you havn't played the last month or two you've missed 6 or so super easy material delivery CG back to back the last couple weeks.

Yeah noticed that. Unfortunately I’m making my way back from Sag A. It’s a long slog. Long from any possibility of doing any CGs. Just kade colonia and going to hop on one of the FCs back to the bubble and begin actually playing the game again… assuming that CGs continue anyway. If they don’t I’m hanging up my trophy hunter hat and calling it a fun 10 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kavatus said:

@quickfoozlle

https://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals/

Use this for cg related (and almost every other) info. Unless Fdev separated console and pc already. 

I believe consoles are still supposed to be instanced with PC, but it would be grest if someone could confirm that they’re able to successfully pick up the goal. I’m still slowly making my way back to the bubble…