Dead multiplayer

AJ_Radio

It seems to me that I cannot find too many randoms playing in multiplayer. Most of the DOOM players have moved on to Doom Eternal, which is the newest game in the franchise and has a bit more going for it.

id Software/Bethesda didn’t even bother to take out the Season Pass in-game advertisement that would of given you all the unlockables in multiplayer if you paid money for it. That has long since been removed as update 6.66 requires you to unlock the various weapons, armor and demons naturally. The link just brings out to the official DOOM page on Bethesda’s website that just talks about DOOM Eternal. 

When I boosted the base game online trophies the online was a lot more active. But that was before DOOM Eternal released.

Now it seems like most people just play on European/Asian servers. The North American servers were completely dead and I was on around Friday at 7 PM PST. Occasionally you can get two, sometimes three randoms, but due to how the matchmaking works you can search endlessly. 

There is no jumping into an active match from what I saw which sucks. 

So unfortunately, this is already a game where you have to boost, even if you’re just doing the base game online trophies.

• Like 3

Hey AJ! I 100%'d DOOM 2016 about a year ago and helped a friend with it a couple of months ago; the servers are still really thriving and tons of people still play it (Eternal's multiplayer is shit so no one plays that thankfully) but the servers are dodgy and sometimes you just can't find matches, and the busy-ness of the regional multiplayer tends to circulate through the day. Sometimes they'll be having server troubles but you just can't connect to a match so it seems like the server is dead; if that happens I recommend retrying a few hours later ? 

My friends and I would join EU servers until they got quiet, then we'd move over to NA servers, then Asian servers, then back to EU - the ping can get a bit fruity but all you really need to do is earn EXP so as long as you're playing matches you'll eventually get the levels you need. Just need to circulate your play sessions alongside all the dads that play it after work and you'll queue into matches immediately

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mertkaykay said:

snip

This is good to hear. 

I understand this is old school style multiplayer, which I prefer over the more complicated Destiny type multiplayer which never appealed to me. 

How exactly do you unlock armor? Both the weapons and demons unlock at higher levels, but for armor I don’t understand Echelon. Do I need to hit some level cap and go over it?

I think it's got tons of appeal with old Quake fans - I never played the original myself but apparently they're mirror images of each other! But yes I've never touched Destiny either ?

Echelons are Prestige levels: the max is Echelon 10, so tenth prestige. There are 50 levels per prestige, but levels don't ask for scaling EXP which is good so you can do an Echelon roughly every couple hours - an hour if you're really solid, but for me I think it was about 2-3 hours per prestige depending on game success.

You unlock armour at specific levels, such as Echelon 5, level 20, or by doing their associated challenges. Since you need to level anyway, I wouldn't concentrate on challenges too much until later. Just play and the trophies will unlock naturally as you go.

The latest armour in the game unlocks at Echelon 10, but its associated (fairly easy) challenge unlocks during Echelon 8, so you can mindlessly grind the full 10 Echelons if you can't be bothered with the challenges, or you can do the challenges if you want to get it done early. 

Hopefully that has been useful, please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to help ?

I'm bitter about this game. I bought the season pass...but because I didn't have the game downloaded when they removed the pass, the game treats me as though I never had it (I got whatever bonuses there were for having it, but none of the stuff that the pass unlocked was unlocked) Completely my own fault I know, but at the time I didn't know I had to actually load up the game to get my unlocks. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I'm bitter about this game. I bought the season pass...but because I didn't have the game downloaded when they removed the pass, the game treats me as though I never had it (I got whatever bonuses there were for having it, but none of the stuff that the pass unlocked was unlocked) Completely my own fault I know, but at the time I didn't know I had to actually load up the game to get my unlocks. 

I don't think that's your fault at all, it's essentially a DLC thing and DLC things shouldn't be taken off you just because they updated how the game works. I'd be bitter too 

• Like 2

I finished up the MP just last month. I usually found people on US servers around 6-8 pm Eastern on weekdays. On weekends, around 8 am, I would play on the EU servers and change to the US ones later in the day. 

It took me around 26-27 hours to reach Echelon Rank VIII and complete one of the challenges to get the last armor piece needed.

I played the online in this one a lot and I was able to get all of the online trophies circa late 2020. The game was still fairly active around them. Can't compare it to Eternal because I haven't gotten to that one yet, but I thought the multiplayer in this one still had a decent amount of activity on it for a game released in 2016. However, as another poster mentioned above, the servers are dodgy and it sometimes seems as if no one is playing the game when in fact there are multiple matches going on. I played on the NA servers too and would often have to search multiple times until the game finally decided to put me in a lobby with players. Don't get discouraged if you don't find people at first, keep searching until the game puts you in an active lobby.

I had a very bitter experience with the campaign in this game. I know most people would disagree with me but, quite frankly, I thought this was the worst DOOM campaign design-wise as of yet despite the cool music. The multiplayer, however, came in expecting nothing and found it to be remarkably fun. Matches have a very old-school FPS feel to them and the shooting is fast-paced, frenetic, and intense with all the jumping and maneuvers you have to do and all the power-ups. It felt good. Hope you have a nice time with it as well, AJ. :D

• Like 4

Well I'm in a group for boosting, thx once again guys and it's great that people actually send messages if they're available. Idk if there is one for purely gaming experience but that would be great solution for finding gaming buddies if there are none around.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:36 PM, Floorkiller74 said:

The reason you still get the bonuses is because patch 6.66 gave all the DLC away for free. I don't remeber the DLC just giving you stuff though, just new cosmetics that you have the ability to unlock.

Edited by skateak

4 hours ago, skateak said:

The reason you still get the bonuses is because patch 6.66 gave all the DLC away for free. I don't remeber the DLC just giving you stuff though, just new cosmetics that you have the ability to unlock.

The cosmetics you now have to grind hours and hours to unlock were initially part of the season pass. However, you had to log in to claim them. Since I didn't have room on my HD at the time, I didn't claim them before the change...hence I paid for them, but didn't unlock them before it was too late. Now if I care to get those trophies, I need to grind the armors etc when I should have had them unlocked for the paid season pass. 

18 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

The cosmetics you now have to grind hours and hours to unlock were initially part of the season pass. However, you had to log in to claim them. Since I didn't have room on my HD at the time, I didn't claim them before the change...hence I paid for them, but didn't unlock them before it was too late. Now if I care to get those trophies, I need to grind the armors etc when I should have had them unlocked for the paid season pass. 

They could still be claimed after the 6.66 patch, I had bought the season pass but hadn't installed or loaded up the game until after the patch dropped and it still gave the cosmetics. It's possible something changed sometime after that making it no longer an option

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can report that the online is still alive, granted it's numbers are low. I was able to get all of the online trophies just playing the multiplayer with randoms and its entertaining enough to go for the trophies. If you play too late at night you might not be able to find enough people to play with. Be warned, there is some weird server glitch that happens where even if you have a full lobby the match won't start even when the timer runs down. You either chill in the lobby until it will start, and hope no one leaves, or quit and research for a new match.   

On 8/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, Akirasolid said:

I can report that the online is still alive, granted it's numbers are low. I was able to get all of the online trophies just playing the multiplayer with randoms and its entertaining enough to go for the trophies. If you play too late at night you might not be able to find enough people to play with. Be warned, there is some weird server glitch that happens where even if you have a full lobby the match won't start even when the timer runs down. You either chill in the lobby until it will start, and hope no one leaves, or quit and research for a new match.   

^ second what he said 

if your sitting in a lobby with players and it won’t start, or you cannot find players to start the lobby with- back out to the multiplayer tab and change your region to eu, Na, or Asia depending on what time of the day it is. There is almost always 1 match going on, but be warned. The players are very sweaty. 
Because the population of the game is so dead, it leads to less xp gained making this trophy takes an extra couple of hours on top of the 20-25 hours it originally required. 

Edited by JokerSmile007

On 8/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, JokerSmile007 said:

^ second what he said 

if your sitting in a lobby with players and it won’t start, or you cannot find players to start the lobby with- back out to the multiplayer tab and change your region to eu, Na, or Asia depending on what time of the day it is. There is almost always 1 match going on, but be warned. The players are very sweaty. 
Because the population of the game is so dead, it leads to less xp gained making this trophy takes an extra couple of hours on top of the 20-25 hours it originally required. 

Sounds like boosting is the way to go.

Boosting this shit when I do it definitely at least 2 consoles as I find that's just easier to get a boost started with as sometimes you can be waiting a long time for players to join a boost and get things under way, so the more consoles I can run the better. It's a boring boost but with no double XP I feel I can't play this forever lol.

On 8/9/2022 at 4:03 PM, TheRetroManiac said:

Boosting this shit when I do it definitely at least 2 consoles as I find that's just easier to get a boost started with as sometimes you can be waiting a long time for players to join a boost and get things under way, so the more consoles I can run the better. It's a boring boost but with no double XP I feel I can't play this forever lol.

I know, that's why I gave up. But I'm too broke and poor to afford two consoles.

So after looking it's definitely dead, so boosting this is going to be needed. I just hate how you cannot create a gaming session on here because it says you don't own the game. Maybe some people don't want to start the game till they have their boosters, and then they start it up. It's always a risk having to earn a trophy just so you can set up a session, always hated this rule. Well, guess I'm on the hunt for boosters now to get this done and dusted.

Edited by TheRetroManiac

1 minute ago, TheRetroManiac said:

So after looking it's definitely dead, so boosting this is going to be needed. I just hate how you cannot create a gaming session on here because it says you don't own the game. Maybe some people don't want to start the game till they have their boosters, and then they start it up. It's always a risk having to earn a trophy just so you can set up a session, always hated this rule. Well, guess I'm on the hunt for boosters now to get this done and dusted.

You can just install the game to make it appear on your trophy list at 0% and then create a session without earning any trophies and still be able to delete the 0% if you don't manage to follow through with the boosting session.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You can just install the game to make it appear on your trophy list at 0% and then create a session without earning any trophies and still be able to delete the 0% if you don't manage to follow through with the boosting session.

I swear I tried this in the past and never had the option to create a gaming session unless something changed. It is 0%, but I thought games with 0% did not appear on this site until you earn a trophy on said game.

Just now, TheRetroManiac said:

I swear I tried this in the past and never had the option to create a gaming session unless something changed. It is 0%, but I thought games with 0% did not appear on this site until you earn a trophy on said game.

You just have to earn a new trophy since your last update on here. It doesn't have to be from the game you want to add. The site doesn't update your profile unless it detects a change in your trophies, or trophy points.

2 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

You just have to earn a new trophy since your last update on here. It doesn't have to be from the game you want to add. The site doesn't update your profile unless it detects a change in your trophies, or trophy points.

OK thanks guys that's useful information, I always ended up just deleting the list and moving on so that's handy enough, cheers.