The worst collectibles trophy you've gone for

AJ_Radio

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/161-katamari-forever/5-completist

This is mine for sure. I used to have in a trophy cabinet but later on it just didn’t fit. Looking up on GameFaqs no fewer than 100 times (there’s a individual thread for each one of the 100+ trouble items, this is out of ~4000) is a sure sign of an excessive count. Could have been worse. They could have just made them all Cowbears ?‍♂️ 

• Like 3

Killzone Shadow Fall

Finders Keepers "Get 25 online collectibles" was quite annoying to do

You have to find 25 yellow crates during online matches and only one crate spawns per match. There is up to 70 different locations where it can spawn which makes it tricky to scavenge. The crates resets every 2-3 hours according to the guide

• Like 1

16L629860.png

This.

Pin Collector in Tiger Woods PGA 14. It has a 5.17% rarity on PSNP and I hear you say “wtf, that’s not even Ultra rare,” but that’s not even the whole story. 
In order to achieve this trophy, you have to earn 18 pins for one course in the game. There are 20+ courses In the game! At one time, you could microtransaction this trophy and buy EA credits until you got it, but no such luck when I played. In order to earn enough credits to buy a pin pack, you needed to play five rounds of golf. So five rounds would equal an hour plus change, and you could earn a couple pins per pack. It’s completely RNG on your pins but the kicker is, you could get doubles! :shakefist:

I must’ve wasted dozens of hours waiting for one F’ing pin on a random course, only to get doubles on something I already had. The masochist in me made me finish it for the plat, but it was hell.

To put it in proper perspective, 747 achievers have this on PSNP, but only 40 have attained it in the last 7 years since the micro transaction easy cheese method closed down. 

• Like 1

For me, it's the 200 pigeons in GTA IV.  I was doing the 100% completion run, and the pigeons were pretty much the only thing I had left to do.  So I sat down with my trusty Strategy Guide (yes, I used to buy those!) and started finding and shooting them, and then, more often than not, having to escape from the cops.  Got all the way up to 199 pigeons, and then arrived at the spawn point for the 200th pigeon, and..... it wasn't there.

I reloaded the game, and.... it wasn't there.

Reloaded 8 more times, across 2 days, and..... it wasn't there.

The little bastard clearly glitched out on me and, as it was the very last thing I needed for 100%, I got screwed out of 100% on that playthrough.  So, I ended up doing the full run all over again, because I was determined to get that platinum, as it was (and likely still is) considered one of PS3's finest accomplishments.  Looking back, I wonder what in the hell possessed me to be crazy enough to do it all again; I certainly wouldn't do it now.

• Like 2

Nice thread! The worst collectibles trophy in my mind goes to Borderlands 1: The Claptastic Robolution collectibles. Throw in approximately 50 or so collectibles that have between a 2-5% chance of dropping with each claptrap enemy with a short DLC and you get grinding during the final boss either actively if you have the correct weapons, passively with my console chilling while Claptraps are being slaughtered by the boss, and then having to go through and hope that the correct collectibles dropped, and you get the collectible trophies from that final DLC. RNG-based collectibles combine a few of my least favorite things in games and just grinds my gears!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xh117 said:

MHW crowns by far, put me off finishing iceborne. I don't mind collectibles as long as I don't have to glue myself to a guide to not miss any like in Rime. 

Oh man, I actually really enjoy hunting for crowns in MHW and in Iceborne. I'm just finishing up Iceborne now actually with only 2 large crowns left to go.

Back on topic, Assassin's Creed II and Infamous are two that were pretty bad for me. Anthem was pretty awful as well with how the collectibles spawned in that game. I have also shelved RDR2 since I finished the story and the online at launch as I've dreaded the collectibles. That gets an honourable mention here even though I haven't got around to it yet.

The person who commented earlier about Star Ocean though, I think they win. That sounds like such a slog.

• Like 2

I did most of the collectibles mentioned in this thread and I would say Thief was the worst by far. 

Few reasons:

- There is no tracker of the collectibles

- Most of them are missable

- There are also secret areas that you can understand you trigger them by a very short 'sound' and if you didn't explore enough you may not triggered them

- If you die after you visit a secret area it will be missed too, you need to go again and remember what you did

So, I had to follow a complete playthrough for it (around 70+ areas and 80+ collectibles) and it was no fun since you just repeat what another person is doing. I still enjoy to collect things like in RDR2 and AC Unity while I am playing the game normally and when everything is finished I can do the clean up, but this game needed full focus.

• Like 3

I think for me it is this trophy, potentially 100-200 hours of basically doing the same type of stage over and over and unfortunately having to put full concentration into playing and having the sound due to cheap one hit deaths that almost every boss in the game will do to you if you're not careful

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/8238-warriors-orochi-4/46-weapon-master

And since it's RNG based you might finish the final stage of a tower taking 30 mins and get such an awful drop rate that it's quicker to just XMB close the game and do it again since the game doesn't let you save mid stage.

• Like 1

Probably the 450 synthesis items in White Knight Chronicles (when there were like 453 recipes total), and some required 1% drop from lengthly quests. Oddly enough, 800 synthesis trophy in WKC2 was not hard because a sheer number of extra recipes from DLC quests and gear.

• Like 2

One that I found annoying was 
https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1613-one-piece-pirate-warriors/35-were-running-away-we-stole-some-gold

To activate all the skills you have to collect coins that are awarded randomly upon level completions.

To make it worse, certain coins can only be unlocked on certain stages or by playing with certain characters and for the life of me I could not find any guide that was clear about what coins were unlocked how. I ended up trying to piece together information from 3 different guides originally written in Japanese to try to find the best method to unlock the elusive coins that were holding me back from unlocking this trophy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I guess this counts as collectible, but getting every crown in MHW and Iceborne ranks up there - even though I had some decent luck, it was still a lot of loading up a mission and measuring monsters legs or tails to see if they were the one.

13 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I was going to say this myself. Gold Crowns were a long and arduous task to finish.

I'll give up on those

so I would probably quote those collectible as my worst ?

12 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

You have to...measure monster tails?

yeah

monster have different dimension

and you need to catch a very small and very large dimension of almost each monster of the game

when you start a quest you can find the monster and seize it to discover if is big/small enough

and, if not, restart the quest...

so boring to do, since dimension is totally RNG

Edited by Namenick_Neku
  • Like 2

Two of my biggest nightmares:

Cross Edge (aka XEdge)

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/588-cross-edge/24-the-hikikomori

if you play JRPG games you know the deal: high end, farming, alchemy, etc. Hundreds of items to farm and create. I'd rather platinum Star Ocean International twice than do this tedium again, even if it takes way more hours.

Mafia 2

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/372-mafia-ii/42-card-sharp

Find 189 wanted posters. The problem here is they are posted at such insipid and boring places that it makes you feel like an idiot, thinking wtf are you doing with your life every 10 or 20 posters as you go with your slow ass car from the sixties around the city, definitely the game makes you think about what you are doing with your free time and not in a good way.

• Like 3

For me with collectibles it strongly depends on how they are done. as long as they are shown on the map (and its not a 7 layer map that doesnt give you info on what layer it is in) its fine.
Worst for me was
1. Infamous 1
I love the game but 350 shards and all you got to find them is a button push that shows you shard that are close to you. i used and online map and did 3 times 349. years later i managed to motivate myself to take another look. took me 5min to find a shard that was close to someone who would give you a quest and whose mappoint was covered with the questmarker......

2. anthem.
Holy fuck. dont know what to say to that. rondom collectible spawns that dont spawn when another random player is nearby without private lobbies and also only 1 person can collect it....its horrible.

i didnt remember uncharted 4 in any bad way but now that i play the legacy of thieves collection and almost everything that is not the collectibles is done i got rembered that it is a shitton of collectibles. and of course also missable optional conversations that require more than "go there and press a button" to be triggered. didnt even start and am annoyed already^^

honorable mentions
Enslaved odysee to the west
Great game, stupid collectible system

Motorstorm Apocalypse
why...its a racing game...why. doesnt even have an open world.

• Like 1

I'm ALMOST done with Tales of Symphonia's character titles. Even when you play 100% with a guide it takes several playthroughs... but I messed some things up which added even more. Gotta finish up some save scumming and battle grinding/cooking to affect a certain characters affection, play to the end to unlock two titles and trophies, then reload and finish the game another way... then replay 2/3rds of the game during a low level playthrough to get the last title and the plat.... only put 250 hours in so far...

• Like 2

I had already posted here mentioning Toy Story 3, now i want to mention some more:

Knack: Collectables are RNG based, but most of them can be "boosted" by having someone in your friend's list who has obtained them... Except for Diamonds, that are, of course, the rarest of them all. And you need to get 10 of them. This means that you have a lot of luck based grind to endure if you want to get the required number of Diamonds. Luck based collectables is very bad game design, to me.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Same as Knack, collectables are luck based, but this one is even worse: while in Knack the grinding method is somehow fast, here in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, to even stand a chance to have your prayers listened by the RNG gods, you have to complete long and hard missions while satisfying specific requirements. You can make this grind somehow easier thanks to a DLC that makes you clearly understand when you have higher chances for a desired drop, but again, making the game tell you how many chances you have is a grind itself, and even if you know you have an high drop rate, it doesn't necessarily means you will 100% obtain what you need. This luck based collectables system is what makes Dragon Ball Xenoverse a solid 100 hours Platinum, maybe even more if you really have bad luck.

Infamous: Collecting the blast shards is very tedious, because they are not seen on the map unless you keep pressing the R3 button, and even if you do, it only shows the ones nearby, not in the whole map. Some of these shards are harder to collect because they are in an higher position, so the map is not such a big help because you need to figure out by yourself how to reach the shard. If you know what you are doing and you have a printed map it is not too bad, but it requires a lot of patience.

Edited by KenjiCBZ
  • Like 4

The only one I gave up on was the GTA IV pigeons. Normally I don't mind collectables and I've done several of the ones mentioned in the thread (Mafia II, NFS Most Wanted, LA Noire, Infamous, Puppeteer), but I went through GTA IV twice with a map and still didn't get them.

• Like 1

Getting all weapons, magic and gear in Secret of Mana: missable and RNG dependant. I remember spending hours killing enemies over and over in the last dungeon because there was a certain piece of gear that would never drop. The orchids in RDR2 were annoying as well, although the game was so good I didn't mind them that much.

The chests in AC Unity weren't actually that bad, compared with the grindfests in Origins, Odyssey or Valhalla.

• Like 2

Assassin's Creed 2 and those feathers is one I'll always remember, being that it was my first plat and the first game I really focused on completing trophy wise.

Infamous and the shard collecting is another one from the earlier days of trophy hunting that always comes to mind also.

I don't mind collectibles so much, at least in respect to the number of them a game has. But games like the Soulsborne ones that require specific conditions be met or just plain luck aren't exactly my favorite.

• Like 2