The worst collectibles trophy you've gone for

AJ_Radio

I actually enjoy getting collectibles most of the time but some are tedious and deserve mention here.

The Saboteur - the freeplay activities that absolutely litter the map. There must be over a thousand of them easily.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Not a terrible game but doing all the crimes in each district became a chore. When I first started I was stealthing them, hacking targets and taking my time. That changed to equipping a shotgun and blowing everyone away to get it done quicker and by the end I wasn't even killing anyone, I was just running to the bag to get the item that finishes the quest. Dumb.

Dark Souls III - getting all the rings was a bit of a headache. Not to mention the covenant item grinding, in particular the proof of a concord kept items.

Assassins Creed 3 - this gets an honourable mention for the stupid pivot game. Because, even though I collected all the damn pivots my trophy glitched and the game will forever be stuck at 97%

Strafe, almost suppressed the memory of them. Freaking 666 secrets to find in randomly generated levels, usually extra rooms hidden behind breakable walls, every run only giving you a few each that can all be tricky to see so you are bound to miss some, took quite a while to finish.

Edited by Dauersack

Need For Speed Payback - All In

Collect all of the Gambler's Chips

39L48ebc2.png

Maybe not the worst but there were a lot and a lot of them required annoying jumps to do which you can mess up pretty easily

Absolver - The Grandmaster

Master all attacks with one character

21L9a0b98.png

Very proud of this one

Anima: Gate of Memories - Ultimate Collector

Find all items, weapons and artifacts.

14L6bac5d.png

Kinda annoying in an otherwise pretty hidden gem game

Destroy All Humans!Probe-ation Officer

Collect all Probes.

2Lcb1fad.png

Another annoying one, this is the only reason I'm kinda scared to get the remake

Honorable mentions:

Amnesia Collection - Getting all notes throughout all 3 games were a bit annoying but doable

Lords of the Fallen - Multiple collectable trophies

Fe - Only because of bad controls/bad miniap and its very easy to get lost

Sniper Elite 4 - Getting all collectables requires you to loot enemies so you have to know which one had it

RAGE 2 - Drones, other people already mentioned it

Probably missed a lot but these are all I can think of right now

• Like 2

Final Fantasy 13 has a trophy (rarest one, and the platinum stopper for most) for collecting all weapons and accessories, it’s a lot of work, complimented by a terrible tacked-on money grinding system, high costs for upgrading weapons/accessories to a new form, grinding the same miniboss hundreds of time who has a low drop rate for the item you’re interested in selling, missable accessories that will force you to restart the game, and no way to check what you’re missing.

5 hours ago, Baranov_925 said:

Need for Speed Payback - how many times did I miss a few meters / points to get 3 stars? I do not want to know...

Strangely, I didn't find the collectables in Payback near as bad as I expected them to be. I found all of the billboards, ~70 chips and about 3/4 of the activities during the story and the only really frustrating thing about cleaning them up with the level 399 car was traffic.

I will agree with anyone who says there were too many, but I'm not getting the hate for the difficulty. 

9 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Worse than Lego City Undercover?

It's close. See, the problem with City is everything is spread out and fiddly to find, but the actual asks aren't too difficult, just time consuming. Marvel 2 has the issue of everything close together and overly difficult for no good reason. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

• Like 2

I just did the Lego DC Supervillian and I spent the entire day from 5am or so until 10pm just doing the free roam.  Mind you it didn't include any of the free play missions or the dlc.   I'm sure there are worse lego games for collectibles but this is the only one i got so it was bad enough.  I really enjoyed playing through the story of it but I'd never do another 100% completion of one.  shame it's so over the top with collectibles wouldn't mind doing some of them otherwise, especially the new star war one.  I hear it's worse.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Red Faction Guerilla

300 ore crystals

70 power cells

36 radio tags

With the exception of radio tags, there's no way to tell which ones you've gotten already. They don't appear on the main map but only the HUD minimap when you're near them.

Add in the 250 supply crates and 50 propaganda you have to destroy and it's a real grind. Plus the side missions that spawn randomly so you just have to drive around until they do and if you finish the main story then side missions you already completed can respawn.

I'll never forget it, and I had to do it twice because I'd played the Remastered version on PS4 as well.

I'm not someone who generally hates collectables...it's usually a game mechanic I never mind doing, but there have been a few games over the years that seriously over do it. 

inFAMOUS: Since the orbs only appear on the mini map for a few seconds when you send out a pulse...once you get down to the last 1 or 2, you end spending forever just trying to find them.  

Assassin's Creed: Unity: WAYYYY too many damn chests to open. 

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: Not only do you need to collect 1166 Kyber Bricks...but you more often than not have to do a puzzle and jump through hoops to get them. It literally got exhausting by the end of it. 

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse: While I enjoy the Xenoverse games overall...I've never seen a game rely so heavily on RNG. So with this game you have to collect all Supers and Ultimates, which requires you to replay all the Parallel Quests in the game that have a Super and Ultimate in it. Problem is these dropping for you is RNG based...but usually you needed to get an Ultimate Finish, which requires you do certain things in a specific order but even triggering the Ulitmate Finish when you did everything was RNG based, but let's say you did trigger it...then you usually had to do something there to trigger the Super/Ultimate to drop, which was also RNG. You had RNG on top of RNG...which usually required you do these PQ's 30-40 times for just ONE move to drop, and if it had more than one? You could be doing it that many times again. I gave up on the Plat at one point and only went back to it because a friend needed quick help with it and decided to go back to the PQ's and got it done. Xenoverse 2 is the same way....but luckily the drop rates are much MUCH higher, so you go from needing to do a PQ 30-40 times, to just 3 or 4. 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:40 AM, jonesey46 said:

Cyberpunk 2077 - Not a terrible game but doing all the crimes in each district became a chore. When I first started I was stealthing them, hacking targets and taking my time. That changed to equipping a shotgun and blowing everyone away to get it done quicker and by the end I wasn't even killing anyone, I was just running to the bag to get the item that finishes the quest. Dumb.

All of this...I did the exact same thing. 

Edited by Viper

On 9/12/2022 at 0:40 AM, jonesey46 said:

Assassins Creed 3 - this gets an honourable mention for the stupid pivot game. Because, even though I collected all the damn pivots my trophy glitched and the game will forever be stuck at 97%

This trophy was a pain in the ass. The way you had to go about it was bad, and there’s a particular spot where if the pivot spawns there, you are unable to get it. 

Glad that Ubisoft took it out of the PS4 remaster.

Sorry but ALL OF THEM! I hate collectibles and for the most part don’t bother. I remember L.A Noire being really annoying trying to use every vehicle. Back in the day before I used YouTube, getting the intel of Call Of Duty. I started to attempt Alan Wake remastered but I enjoyed the game too much to ruin it by obtaining them all, I want to play it again this winter but PS4 version this time around.

assassins creed 3. I got every collectible and trophy beside one. Which glitched! Furious! Last one I needed was the tent lockboxes and didn’t know you had to wait for a certain spot to take the items. I would of loved to have that platinum but I got robbed of it :( 

Edited by FocusDR

I actually had to think about it even though I hate collectibles in general. I don't get their point actually. 30 years ago, sure. But now? If you want to get them all, you play the game with a phone in your hand/a laptop on your lap and pause every 30 seconds to see where's the next one. If you don't care about them, you just don't collect them. There are ways to make collectibles feel ok but most of the time they're just a lazy form of extending the playtime for people that want to get them for whatever reason. 

Anyway. Uncharted games. The collectibles just ruin pacing, the overall experience and because they're 1 - completely useless 3d models (why would you even look at them, really?) and 2 - they're made by a developer that otherwise tries to make their games as detailed and thought out as possible, the collectibles stick out like a sore thumb.

The Last Guardian. Hints as collectibles. It literally makes you stop playing the game so you can get a collectible. Who thought that would be a good idea? And it's finicky, or glitched, I don't know. I remember spending 20 minutes looking at a wall from different angles just to get one hint. I didn't get it. 

Some Need for Speed game, I don't remember which one. Collectibles. In a racing game. As absurd as it is by itself, some of them were in the air. And you couldn't look up. 

What's weird to me is that it's really not that big of a deal to make collectibles ok. Check if collectibles are not something ridiculous in the genre of your game. If they are, don't do them. If they're not, have them serve the gameplay. Lore and information in Prey or lore and weapon parts etc in Tomb Raider. Then lower that 100% requirement to 90% so people don't have to stop playing your game just to look up every single stupid thing but are actually rewarded for exploring. And don't make any collectibles missable, no matter how long your game is. Seriously, this would make me not hate collectibles and at times even like them. 

• Like 1

Any substantial collectible list that don’t have the locations appear on the map is always a major drag. Collectibles that are missable are bordering on criminal when there are lots of them.

id agree with the post above that Star Wars fallen order’s map made anything you were trying to find in that game pure tedium and frustration, but the hands down winner for me is Observer:redux on the ps5. The leathal combination of being missable and not spawning on any kind of map. And for added fun, some collectibles only spawning after certain in game actions are completed, which again are not signposted in anyway. To date it’s the only game I’ve stopped playing purely because of the collectible situation.  My idea of fun isn’t  instantly switching from a YouTube video to the game I’m playing back and forth every 5 seconds. This I think is only game I’ve ever played where you just have to do that if you want all collectibles. Hence the halt in play.

This is an interesting topic because I kind of have a soft spot for platformers/Collectahons. I find them relaxing and easy enough to just coast through. But there have been a few collectable games that made me lose my mind.

I've platinumed 8 LEGO games, including LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Enough said.

I don't know how often it's been said here but Ghostwire: Tokyo and the insane amount of spirits you have to collect is mind numbing.

And another one that comes to my mind that I never even completed, Alan Wake. Watching a guide or reading a guide doesn't make a difference. It's all a forest that you can easily get lost in.

Actually, collectibles in horror games are tough for me because I'm fucking terrified the entire time and it doesn't add to the fun.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but for me I think probably the Uncharted 3 DLC ones on PS3.

They were treasures that randomly dropped from kills across various online game modes, they could be doubled up so there was no guarantee a new treasure was the one you needed and, finally, once the servers were closed, that was it. No more.

One of the more annoying collectible trophies that I recall.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:56 PM, Borkinian said:

Knack 1 with the Diamond Knack pieces.

Collectables suck but making them a RNG collectable with an insanely low drop rate is a bit to far, and you need 10 of them.  Chapter select doesn't help since the collectables don't spawn and if you want to switch difficulties you need to start a new game.  While the full Knacks carry over, the progress towards them does not meaning starting on hard is a big problem if you need to farm later down the road (which you will) because checkpoints typically place you a while away from the collectables.  A ton of relaunching the game just to have zero luck sucks.  By the end of 1 play-through I had 1 out of 10.

Diamond Knack was my go to as well. And the other lesser gems you could get through the friend's list thing, but not diamonds! :'D It's like a tease, if it had allowed diamonds too it would've been perfect. I kind of get why they didn't, because it's an OP skin, but still ridiculous. At least let you get them via the friend's list thing on NG+. But that time has passed I suppose, there were just better ways they could have done that. Closing the game constantly and reopening it, back when the PS4's live area showed when people launched a game no less, was very funny. I'm sure my friend's list was very confused why I kept reopening the same game.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:54 PM, KenjiCBZ said:

Toy Story 3. Little to no guide was available at the time I was playing the game, so you had to rely on 10 years old posts from small forums or poor quality videos recorded with a 2010 phone on the TV. Also, the collectables themselves were inconsistently designed: no way to keep track of what you had and you hadn't, and they didn't even have an actual name, so when reading the (Poorly written) guides you had to rely on weird descriptions that often didn't match with what the collectable actually was.

I gave up on the collectable Trophies when I played the game on my Xbox 360 years ago, I still can't believe it I was able to get them all on Ps3.

I remember struggling to find the last collectibles in the Toy Box, it was such a nightmare. I think my last one was in the vehicle area or something. I rememberr people just posting the most obscure places they found them and that was basically all there was at the time.

Psychonauts was another that suffered from having no good guides when I was getting all the figments. And those stupid things move around. No idea if anyone bothered to go and do a good guide for them, but all I had were the PS2 clips and guides and the text guides would often be wrong. I remember I had two open at once and would flip between the two when one of them was either wrong or confusing as hell. 

This would have been on the Xbox 360, going for the achievements on the original Assassin’s Creed. I remember both collectibles trophies being buggy. One was for assassinating a bunch of Templar Knights, and the other for collecting a ton of different flags.

IIRC, both the Templars and the flags would randomly either disappear, change locations, or just not count as being picked up/completed, resulting in countless hours wasted. I must have spent a good week solid finishing both of those achievements, multiple guides in hand every step of the way.

Finally pulled off the 100% in that game, then only a week later my 360 encountered the Red Ring of Death. Yeah… lol

Not a trophy, but the achievement for collecting all of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows collectibles. Almost 2,500 of the fucking things, and they only show up on the mini-map once you’ve collected the first 1,000 (and they don’t show on the regular map at all). 

Edited by AlphaLiquid-X