Elden Ring sells 16.6 million so far

You

55 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

This is why Console exclusives suck for not only developers but also for customers. Imagine how much higher the number would be if there was a Switch version of the game...

if it wasn't for consoles funding Demon's Souls as a console exclusive, becoming a niche console fan fav, leading to other publishers seeing it and wanting to replicate what the console publisher did, you would've never had Dark Souls which led to Elden Ring, if it wasn't for consoles funding some of these games, we would have nothing, so how does this suck exactly? how does devs receiving money to make their games suck for them? I'm confused, how me as a gamer getting to play games that wouldn't have been made without the funding from console manufacturers sucks for me? I'm confused again, for me, it doesn't suck, it never did and never will, nobody is preventing consumers to buy that console, if you chose not to, that's up to you, nothing stops me 

you need to look into how some of these things started, the biggest games, GTA, COD, FIFA, aren't the biggest and selling anywhere from 30-40-100+ million because they release off console, GTA, COD and FIFA could easily drop PC today and they will be just as big with no difference, without Switch too, PC is not a factor for game sales, countless iconic huge franchises like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and others release on 3+ platforms and none of these franchises had a single game in the last decade that sold more combined on multiple platforms than a game like God Of War sold on PS4 alone, another example, the Arkham games, which sold very well, on 3+ platforms each, got outsold by Spiderman in a few weeks on PS4 alone

this remarks of "if that game wasn't exclusive bla bla bla", good games sale, on one platform or 10, the amount of platforms a game is on, has nothing to do with its sales, if Elden Ring was PS4/5 exclusive, it would've sold just as much, in fact, the version that the journalists reviewed, is the PS5 version, that is the version that got a 97/96 meta and led to its popularity among the casuals, not the PC version

and Switch has never showed signs of being a sales factor also for any game outside Nintendo games, and in a game like Elden Ring, that already has performance problems on PC, PS4, PS5, to make that run on Switch would be an effort for the studio that they clearly aren't prepared for, like most devs aren't prepared for, Switch is too weak, plain and simple, no amount of sales will get the AAA devs to release current games on it, just like it doesn't get them to release games on mobile, which is bigger than Switch and some phones stronger too

Edited by THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, THE ONE WHO KNOCKS said:

this remarks of "if that game wasn't exclusive bla bla bla",

Anyway.

Elden Ring wouldn't have sold 12 million if it wasn't multiplatform, and Bloodborne would have sold way more at launch and more sales in its entire lifetime if it was multi-platform.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Bloodborne would have sold way more at launch and more sales in its entire lifetime if it was multi-platform.

how much more? 12 million in a few weeks? you think that the audience for souls game is the same today as it was when Demon's Souls released or when Bloodborne released?

when Demon's Souls released, it was a rough game, but some people liked it, and that made Bandai contract From for their own style of Souls games, Dark Souls, which was an improved Demon's Souls, so more people liked it, the audience grew, then Dark Souls 2 came out, and it grew the audience again

then what happened? Bloodborne came out, this put a spotlight on the Souls type gameplay with its more action fast focused style over the shield focused gameplay, and this change not only raised the mindshare stock for the Souls type games, but it also vastly refreshed the formula with Dark Souls 3 adopting more Bloodborne style gameplay and increasing the audience again

and so on and so on till Elden Ring, it's a gradual increase, of which two major steps are two console funded games, one being the very start of it, another being a turning point, which was needed after Dark Souls 2 put some doubts in people, which the Bloodborne adopted Dark Souls 3 restored faith in people

why didn't Dark Souls 2 (2.5m sold in 1 year) which released on 3 platforms sell 12 million in a few weeks? why didn't Dark Souls 3 (10m sold in four years) do it? why didn't Sekiro (5m sold in 1 year) do it? all of them are on as many platforms as most games

why didn't that strategy work for Guardians of the Galaxy? why didn't that game which released on 5+ platforms sell 12 million in a few weeks? why didn't Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, outsell Spiderman PS4?

and tell me, anyways, how exactly does a game that was never going to be made, get funded by a console manufacturer, sucks for me or the devs? and how am I unable to buy that console to experience it?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Bloodborne would have sold 0 copies if it wasn't a console exclusive...

...because Bloodborne wouldn't have existed if it wasn't a console exclusive.

Of course.

However, the fact that it wouldn't exist at all without being a console exclusive though doesn't negate the fact that it would have sold more if it was say for example, only a 1-2 year timed exclusive.

Like God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn, which now are selling even more copies since moving to multi platform. I think Bloodborne should eventually do the same.

I love Bloodborne, just like I do Elden Ring. So of course I want as many people as possible to buy and enjoy the game, of course this would be more money for From Software too, who wouldn't want to see Bloodborne in 60fps? I certainly would.

And the more money From Software have in the bank, the less they'd need to rely on stupid console exclusivity deals in order to secure funding to make a game. Well, after the success of Elden Ring, I doubt they will go fully console exclusive again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Of course.

However, the fact that it wouldn't exist at all without being a console exclusive though doesn't negate the fact that it would have sold more if it was say for example, only a 1-2 year timed exclusive.

Like God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn, which now are selling even more copies since moving to multi platform. I think Bloodborne should eventually do the same.

I love Bloodborne, just like I do Elden Ring. So of course I want as many people as possible to buy and enjoy the game, of course this would be more money for From Software too, who wouldn't want to see Bloodborne in 60fps? I certainly would.

And the more money From Software have in the bank, the less they'd need to rely on stupid console exclusivity deals in order to secure funding to make a game. Well, after the success of Elden Ring, I doubt they will go fully console exclusive again.

That's true - though I wouldn't count it out in the current climate.

With the heavy focus on console manufacturers outright buying studios, I suspect that any studio that they can't outright acquire, the next best thing will be seen as being tying up console exclusive games from them, with probably some very enticing business deals...

...after all, if it's a choice between FROM making their next multi-platform game, or FROM making their next multi-platform game and taking Playstation / Microsoft's money and hiring up to make a console exclusive game at the same time, that isn't really a negative thing for anyone.

Remember - Bloodborne wasn't all FROM were working on at the time - it was made in parallel with Dark Souls II, and I suspect without Sony's money, they would have had just have fewer staff, and been working only on Dark Souls II at that point. :hmm::dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

of course this would be more money for From Software too

Bloodborne could go on to sell 20 million more copies at $70, From will see 0% of that, all that money is going to Sony, Sony 100% owns Bloodborne, they contracted From to do it, one time payment, it's done

having money doesn't stop anybody from making exclusive deals, a lot of the Elden Ring money doesn't go to From either, it goes to Bandai/Kadokawa, if Sony wanted it, they could go tomorrow to Kadokawa which owns From and buy them for the right price, you think Bungie didn't make money with Destiny 2? more money than Elden Ring will ever make? what happened? Sony bought them

• Like 1

Yeah I think Bloodborne could easily sell a few million more if it went multiplatform, especially since it's very similar feel to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 (according to a friend) so fans of Elden Ring will be like, "Oh wow more Elden Ring style gameplay? Sign me up for that!"

As much as I love Elden Ring, I think Bloodborne is probably the ever so slightly 0.01% the better game.

I mean, the art style and horror style graphics are just soooo good. Some of the cities in Elden Ring do feel a lot like Bloodborne actually.

Now if Bloodborne was the size of Elden Ring, then wow.
We can only dream that an openworld multiplatform Bloodborne 2 comes out ?

For me though, I have not played Dark Souls 1, 2, or 3, or Sekiro, at all. So I might end up checking those games out after Elden Ring.

I mean From Software make awesome games, not shit easy and piss ones or yearly recycled franchises.

Certainly best to reward the developers that are actually making an effort to make great games.

8 minutes ago, THE ONE WHO KNOCKS said:

Bloodborne could go on to sell 20 million more copies at $70, From will see 0% of that, all that money is going to Sony, Sony 100% owns Bloodborne, they contracted From to do it, one time payment, it's done

There is a 0 percent chance that the contract was written as “one time payment” and nearly 100% chance that every sale of a copy of Bloodborne still kicks a percentage over to the developers. 

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

There is a 0 percent chance that the contract was written as “one time payment” and nearly 100% chance that every sale of a copy of Bloodborne still kicks a percentage over to the developers. 

so by that logic, you think that FromSoftware also gets a cut of the Demon's Souls PS5 Remake?

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

This is why Console exclusives suck for not only developers but also for customers. Imagine how much higher the number would be if there was a Switch version of the game...

What would it even play like on the Switch? I imagine they would have to scale it back a lot

• Like 4

I had planned on waiting at least a year before stacking the PS4 version of Elden Ring but ever since I platted the PS5 version I just can’t get the game out of my system. As such, after 3 more completed games I’ll be getting the PS4 version because I don’t want to wait any longer than I have to to play it again. The only reason I’m not going to play it as soon as I finish Horizon Forbidden West is that I’m making a certain platinum trophy #16,000 and I don’t want to change away from that. I spent 115 hours playing it on PS5 and I will most likely spend even more time on the PS4 version. It’s fantastic to see it doing so well and it deserves all the praise it’s been getting. My only hope now is that From Softwares next game is Elden Ring 2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, THE ONE WHO KNOCKS said:

so by that logic, you think that FromSoftware also gets a cut of the Demon's Souls PS5 Remake?

Depends on if any of FromSoftwares original code was used in the Remake. Was FromSoftware mentioned anywhere in the splash screens or credits on the Demons Souls PS5 Remake? If so then they absolutely are getting some kind of cut for it. 

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Depends on if any of FromSoftwares original code was used in the Remake. Was FromSoftware mentioned anywhere in the splash screens or credits on the Demons Souls PS5 Remake? If so then they absolutely are getting some kind of cut for it. 

Yeah, the staff from the original game is credited near the end of the credits in the remake, as per this timestamp

48 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

in the PS2/early PS3 gen, Ueda had a team within Sony Japan, he made Shadow of the Colossus, since then, that team is long gone from Sony, in 2018 Shadow of the Colossus was remade by Bluepoint for ps4, every single one of the original devs is credited for their work on the original game on PS2, do you think any of those people saw any $ from the 2018 remake of Shadow by Bluepoint?

you seem to have a very wrong perception of credits, they are a courtesy, nothing more, often game credits include the names of pets and babies of the devs, the names of fans on social media, or more often, they leave out hundreds of people that actually worked on the game because of x reasons, look at the Demon's Souls PS5 case, show me where on the case you see the FromSoftware logo

I will guarantee you that none of the original devs from Shadow got paid from the remake, just like nobody from the original team that made Demon at From got paid for the work that Bluepoint did with the remake, the Demon/Bloodborne IP, original work, code and assets, 100% belong to Sony, not From

Dark Souls 3 Director Talks Franchise's Legacy, Possible Demon's Souls Remaster, More

GameSpot: You've said you don't want to remake Demon's Souls, is that set in stone? If fans showed support for it would you (or From Software) reconsider?

Miyazaki: It seems like there was a misunderstanding in a previous interview in relation to a remake or a remastering of the game, so let me reiterate here.

The Dark Souls series is Bandai Namco Entertainment's IP, and Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is Sony Interactive Entertainment's IP. Hence, the decision to do a remake or remastering is under their jurisdiction.

For me and for From Software, I don't think we'll be involved with their happening, but it could happen through another developer.

I think a lot of people are confused on who FromSoftware are, they are not a publisher, they are not a big AAA dev, they are a mid level 100% Japanese dev studio owned by Kadokawa that needs to partner with other publishers for their games, like Bandai, Activision, and have also done 2nd party deals with Sony, they are not like CDProjectRed where they had Witcher 3 as a huge success so it jumped them from a small EU based dev to a huge AAA studio, even if From has a huge hit, most of that money doesn't go to them, it goes to Kadokawa, their parent company, and to the publisher, Bandai for ER

interesting article on From

Like most big games, it looks like Elden Ring's expansive world came at a human cost. FromSoftware employees have complained about a number of issues on Japanese company feedback website Career Connection, stating low wages and crunch (one review says employees are "breaking their bodies" working so much) as problems with the work environment. FromSoft has earned a 2.6 out of 5 rating for employee satisfaction as a result. According to the survey, FromSoftware employees earn roughly 4 million yen, or $29,000, a year. Those wages are a stark contrast to the $1.415 billion that FromSoftware parent company Kadokawa Corp. has made in the last 9 months

4 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I hope you do realize that the PC ports for Horizon and God of War were not made in the hope of making big money on PC but marketing moves to get these games to PC players so that they become a fan of said franchises and then hopefully go on and buy a PS5 to play the sequels.

Just like Uncharted came to PC to widen the audience for the movie. And that's why some other Sony exclusives like for example Bloodborne or Killzone are not on PC yet - there's nothing happening with those franchises right now so there's no need to present them to a wider audience.

That being said, there is technically a way to play Bloodborne on PC: PlayStation NOW.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THE ONE WHO KNOCKS said:

you seem to have a very wrong perception of credits, they are a courtesy, nothing more, often game credits include the names of pets and babies of the devs, the names of fans on social media, or more often, they leave out hundreds of people that actually worked on the game because of x reasons, look at the Demon's Souls PS5 case, show me where on the case you see the FromSoftware logo

Each and every thing appearing in credits for every piece of entertainment, from TV shows, Movies, to Games, is negotiated and part of the overall contract for that piece of work. Far from mere courtesy.