Which Vita?

tonkie18

So my Vita has sadly died. I think it was the memory card reader. The shop has refunded the console and the extra memory card I bought. So I need to purchase a new one. Which model would be best? Unfortunately they don’t put the model numbers on, but I have the choice out of 

Vita WiFi  (think this is the original model - it’s the one I had with no internal storage)

Vita 3G

Vita Slim 

They have discounted versions of all these models, but that’s what my partner did last time and I’ve since found out discounted means poor condition but fully working. This time I don’t mind paying a bit more so I’m swaying towards the slim with 1GB storage even though the price is a lot steeper (£120).. but you do get 24 month warranty and if it does mess up they refund you straight away which is good. I would like to know your opinions before I buy. Thanks ☺️

I recently managed to get my hands on a BNIB original fat Vita - and I have to say, I'm leaning more towards the slim version. The screen is still fantastic and having a slightly lighter handheld system means a lot. Not to mention you can charge it with a normal USB cable, unlike the OG Vita!

The original and 3g have a better screen, but a proprietary charging connector that you’ll want to have some backups for. 
The slim is lighter and has onboard storage and uses a standard micro usb connector for charging. 

While I really like my model 1000 Vitas, I’d recommend people go with the slim at this point unless they’re also willing to pick up a couple charging cables. The longer we go, the harder they’re going to be to find if one breaks. 

3 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

For the charger, I bought one on Aliexpress to have it at work and it works wonders, no need to worry about that.

The charger or the cable? I have no problem with chargers, but have gone through three original cables. 

• Like 1

I’ve opted for the slim version, mainly due to the internal storage - it was a nightmare when no memory cards would work and it was completely useless on my fat version. Knowing I can use other cables on this is an advantage also. I’ll see what the screen is like when I get it, I can always exchange for the fat one again if I don’t like it. Just dying to get my hands on it now! 

Hopefully my card will work (the shop didn’t test it in something else) otherwise I’ll have to wait even longer ? 

• Like 1

Vita 3G is completely useless since you pay more for something that is not sued anymore. The question between the other two is what you value more from the system.

Do you want a prettier looking color with an OLED screen that shapes the graphics nicely? Pick the original Vita

Do you want an internal storage on a system that lasts longer and does not require a specific Vita charger for it? Pick the slim Vita.

I have a Japanese Slim model for a while, and I am very happy with it. The LCD screen doesn't bother, and I much rather have external save for my save files. 

Edited by MarcusPunisher
mistake

44 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

I don't agree with Helyx as the newer slim version has a worst screen (LCD) than the original (OLED). I'll go with the wifi one if possible. The 3G is just useless. 

I definitely like the screen on the older models (I have an OLED Vita), and I agree the 3G is useless. The decision really comes down to storage for me, since when my memory card dies, I won't be able to use my Vita at all without purchasing another ridiculously priced memory card. That's really the only reason I'd recommend the newer Slim model Vita over the original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

The charger or the cable? I have no problem with chargers, but have gone through three original cables. 

Just the cable, I plug it on the computer!

40 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I definitely like the screen on the older models (I have an OLED Vita), and I agree the 3G is useless. The decision really comes down to storage for me, since when my memory card dies, I won't be able to use my Vita at all without purchasing another ridiculously priced memory card. That's really the only reason I'd recommend the newer Slim model Vita over the original.

That's true, price of the memory card is ridiculous! 

I have to buy a slim one just to have a backup.

Yeah the slim version won due to the storage aspect. It was horrible not being able to play anything at all as no memory card would work in it. Just praying this memory card still works for when the vita comes. 

I’m tempted to buy the original one as well in the hope I get one decent machine. Will see what the slim one is like when it comes. 

Thanks for all your help guys ☺️