56 posts in this topic

Darkside Detective 

The Yakuza series 

Trigger Witch

The South Park games 

All LEGO games

Maneater 

On 18/03/2022 at 4:01 AM, da-Noob123 said:

Yakuza Like a Dragon is one of the funnier games I have played recently. The main character Ichiban, is a lovable goofball with delusions of being a video game hero in real life which makes for some great dialog and cutscenes. Also, the game in general has a ton of tongue in cheek references to games like Dragon Quest and Pokémon. 

Was going to come to say this too. I had never played any other Yakuza game and I started that game without knowing anything about it and thought the box and characters in it looked boring and generic as heck but so glad I did tho because it ended up being one of my favorite games ever and I giggled almost all the way through it. 😀

Katamari Damacy can be a funny game to play mainly due to the amount of random things and people you'll be rolling up in levels, which had me chuckling when I reached the final level. Also, the story  doesn't take itself seriously with its humorous moments. 

Eat Lead a game that makes fun of itself and video games, Far Cry Blood Dragon a must play and Brutal Legend action RTS game with Jack Black.

If you like raunchy comedy and have access to a ps3 PAiN is a good one. Get the bundle with everything included if there is one, cause there is a lot of dlc. 

RjKaFsA.jpg

Even some of the trophies pushed the limits.

biogp6r.jpg

And the game itself is actually really fun. My friends and i played local co-op on this one for years.

The writing and characters in Undertale are very funny. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 has some genuinely hilarious bits.

The Shenmue series is unintentionally comedic gold.

Cat Quest 1 + 2 ha some funny Easter Eggs and is unashamedly full of cat/ dog puns. 

Overcooked/ Moving Out are hilarious if played co-op (but also may cause fights).

Untitled Goose Game is probably the funniest game I can think of when watching someone else play. 

Apart from the games already mentioned, try Dungeon Keeper. It's quite old, PC only and the gameplay might turn you off, but the voice overs before each level are comedic gold. 

Also, Conker Live and Reloaded, but I think it's Xbox only. It's a very funny game though from what I remember. 

I found the humor in Flipping Death, Broken Age and Deponia pretty fun.

Donut County made me laugh a couple of times with how the characters interact with one another. Also, it's a really chill and easy platinum

Day of the Tentacle is one funny motherfucker xD 

So I've recently just finished Red Dead Redemption 2 and came across this forum and was the first thing that popped in my head. Arthur Morgan not only goes down as the best protagonist I have ever played as, but also the guy is absolutely hilarious and the game is just a masterpiece. 

Other than that few games that I played long ago but still come to mind are Portal 2, the Borderlads series and the Saints Row saga. Serious Sam and Shadow Warrior can also be consider but in a more stupid childish kind of humor, which is the best kind imo. It truly depends on what you are into and what makes you laugh.

4 minutes ago, Abraniell said:

... the Borderlads ...

They sound like a funny bunch :)

Some great suggestions here and I've noted down a few for personal pursuing too. I think good humour in games is really hard to nail, but certain games deliver different types of joke and comedy so well, and often goes unnoticed or shrugged off.

Have to start with Guardians of the Galaxy. Absolutely brilliant writing - the humour is just like the films and brings the same energy too. All of the characters work well with each other. It was a joy to playthrough the game again for the platinum after a blind playthrough.

Also have to reiterate the South Park games. I have only played the Fractured but Whole, but South Park's comedy is second to none, really funny.

Notable mentions from me are for Undertale, Tales from the Borderlands, most of the LEGO games (some turn away from these for being childish but some of the jokes are brilliantly written), the Sam and Max episodes on the PS3 and the Ratchet and Clank games.

I'd second Grim Fandango, its the first one that came to mind. That game has charm that never dies.

Also agree with Donut County, Undertale, and Untitled Goose Game.

This is only for someone into chill JRPGs, but I find that Atelier Sophie 2 actually has quite a few funny moments. The way music deliberately cuts in or out in some scenes made me laugh a good bit. 

UnMetal

King's Quest

Randal's Monday

The Fall (also part 2)

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

UnEpic

The Messenger

Posted (edited)

I am very glad Duke Nukem Forever has not been mentioned so far.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

I’m a big fan of the Borderlands series. It’s not really laugh out loud humour, but it’s consistently silly and juvenile which makes for a considerably lighter tone than most games I play, and this combined with the frantic FPS action means I always have a blast with each game.

I’m also casting a vote for South Park. Hilarious all the way through.

I always found the disgaea games to have some good humour. Also Tales series have good humour in their skits

because I haven't seen anyone else recommend it

lollipop chainsaw 

:) 

Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Armed and Dangerous

Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Sunset Overdrive

Saints Row 3 & 4

The Behemoth games like Battleblock Theater and Pit People

A lot of LucasArts games like the Monkey Island series

south park had me choking my internal organs out with laughter, first one anyway didn't play sequel yet.

Posted (edited)

On 17/03/2022 at 6:22 PM, LegendExeter said:

I think Comedy gets underapapreciated a lot in vid games, so I'm wondering...loosely of course what are some games that afterward you were like "that was a funny game" or had a lot of funny moments, or perhaps the interaction between two characters throughout the game was funny?

Humor is subjective so to each there own, I just appreciate games that add in some humor even if it isn't the main story arc of the game, it adds some depth IMO.

Both South Park games, if you have a good sense of humour, these are a must, also the GTA series has a lot of funny missions or cutscenes, specifically GTA5, some of the cutscenes had me good there.

Beyond those, I don’t think there’s a big chunk of games you could say are comedic by nature, more so funny parts or characters, like Hurk from Farcry or some of the Borderlands characters etc; but these aren’t really funny games and I wouldn’t recommend them for this topic unless they’re in your backlog already, I’m sure people have posted a bunch of indies im yet to discover but definitely play those South Park games, I’m hoping they do another one at some point

Edited by Shmeefly

On 20.3.2022 at 11:00 AM, the1andonly654 said:

Apart from the games already mentioned, try Dungeon Keeper. It's quite old, PC only and the gameplay might turn you off, but the voice overs before each level are comedic gold. 

Also, Conker Live and Reloaded, but I think it's Xbox only. It's a very funny game though from what I remember. 

I have also completed the whole game called Dungeon Keeper and it sure is fun strategy game. Try it. There is also DK2 but not sure of that. Other games you could try is Donkey Kong but it is a Nintendo only game.

On 15/04/2022 at 2:27 AM, VegaMan-X4 said:

The Messenger

Absolute banger of a sound track and really funny NPC interactions. I found the gameplay to be excellent :)

My rec would be Disco Elyisum, it's very dark and thought provoking in places but I had plenty of laughs due to top tier writing,

Point and click games such as Grim Fadango or Day of the Tentacle are the pinnacle of good games with comedy from the beginning until the end.

Yakuza series with their substories provide such a bizarre yet hilarious humour that only Japan can pull it off.

Borderlands is also a series with plenty of comedy in the midst of so much action going on.