Sonic Racing Help

BucketsAndBombs

Hey guys, I'm getting really frustrated with this game.  It all started with checking the trophy guide and seeing this is a 4/10 difficulty.  I've beat 4/10 games pretty easily throughout my gaming experiences and can't seem to figure out this one.  I am on the first Grand Prix in the game and can't get past it on hard mode (I win every race on easy).  I've looked up builds for my vehicle and have the highest boost I can possible obtain.  I used a power character in Knuckles.  I pass off items most of the time to acquire team ultimate, wait til my cpu teammates activate the ultimate to activate mine, I slipstream them at every possible chance for boost and rarely hit any walls or obstacles. I also drift around every corner to acquire additional boost and even make sure I get the starting boost at the beginning of the race.  There are times where I feel like I run an absolutely perfect race and still come in 4th-5th-6th.  When I am in first and look like I have a race secured, they team boost past me and get 1-2-3.  And to be honest, this isn't even the hardest set of races for me! The daredevil challenge is even more difficult.

Although I'm not the best, I am not horrible at racing games and have actually platted a couple.  I don't understand what I am doing wrong.  I feel like if I could occasionally win some races, this would be a very fun game and fun platinum, but the opposing cpu has such an enormous speed advantage while my cpu's are absolutely atrocious, and it isn't fun losing every race. 

If anyone could give me some pointers or insight on what I am doing incorrectly, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Edited by BucketsAndBombs

Keep trying and keep using Knuckles. Give everything away unless you can directly use it to hit someone close. Wait to activate your ultimate till one of tails/sonic asks for it. Learn the shortcuts. And keep trying. It's frustrating at times, but eventually you'll get through. The first 2 championships were the most annoying to me.

The team work aspect of this game is trash if you haven’t got a real life team. Use a speed character (I used blaze) and race like it’s Mario kart. Don’t even bother playing as a team. The Grand Prix‘s are still very annoying and come down to luck.

I also always saved my team boost for the last half of the last round to bypass everything and be immortal just in case the game wants to scam me the last couple of meters of a race.

• Like 3

As others has said, i would add though collect rings as they increase your top speed(by alot). Also save team ult as half end of the last lap.. also i would recommend playing as power type racer(not bad i just don't recommend) finally add mods(upgrades) to your car it might help you find the play style you like..

• 2 weeks later...

I was using Knuckles as he is slow so the AI got better/faster picks and if possible use longer Ultimate time boosters before the tricky races. And send your teammates a lot of item boxes so they get even a better chances of winning and it will fill up the ultimate bar more quickly, and also driving behind them on their slipstream will. Maybe use rockets by yourself if possible and eliminate opponents with them. If possible save the last Ultimate team boost for the last half of last lap as sometime the game just decides to troll you with those rocket blocks at the end of the race. It got me out like that a few times.

A lot of races have a few different routes where one is a bit quicker and gives you quite a lot advantage, try different routes to find the most optimal one. 

Edited by elisir1986
  • Like 1

I recommend using special bonuses if you get them (like lighting or the rock coming from the ground thingy) and not give it away to your teammates(AI) from my experience even if they accepted it it does not go into affect.( tried maybe 2~3 times giving them the lighting them accepting it but no enemies getting zapped) one other thing is you can request items from you team(press O when you don't have any power ups) and giving it away just for ultimate charges. And overall learn the map to know optimal ultimate timing to not fall off/hit corners etc..

Wish you the best with your grind.

Edited by stay_coolXD

The most reliable way I beat the grand prixs was by sending items to my team and instantly requesting them back when they were sent. This allowed me to get more items while simultaneously boosting my team ultimate. By doing this I almost never lost a grand prix.

This is definitely harder than the guide suggests. 

The Ring Challenges are tough, but doable with enough practice. My main problem is rubberband AI, which feels worse than it did in Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing. Driveclub had some of this, but it was a much more polished and enjoyable game. 

I’ve done some stuff on Hard, yet the Grand Prix is basically the worst of the lot. AI is much more aggressive. Team Amy always finds a way to screw you. It’s best to leave team ultimate until the last lap of the race. At times the AI will practically be way ahead of you if you slip up and make a mistake. 

This is around a 6/10 in difficulty mainly because of some of the challenges and the rubberband AI on harder difficulties. Thank goodness you don’t have to fulfill all the objectives on Expert difficulty, because otherwise this game would easily be a 8 or 9 out of 10 on the platinum difficulty scale.