Trophy thoughts?

-SK

Its list looks like every other AAA mainstream game trophy list these days. Do everything the game has to offer or close to it, get all collectibles, and some easy misc. trophies. Different game, same crap. 

I loved The Evil Within games and Ghostwire looks interesting enough that I will eventually play it but for now I'm skipping it. I'm too fatigued and bored with modern AAA games to be bothered with this one right now. 

• Like 1

I'll always check ACG about games and he uploaded his and doesn't seem all to positive about the game.

End verdict: "wait for a deep, deep sale"

I'll probably get it when I finish up Tiny Tina as there isn't that much new stuff coming up lately anyways

18 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

I'll always check ACG about games and he uploaded his and doesn't seem all to positive about the game.

I'll probably get it when I finish up Tiny Tina as there isn't that much new stuff coming up lately anyways

I waited for his review to see if its worth buying. I'll wait for a deep sale i guess. 

On 21/03/2022 at 6:26 PM, Deluziion90 said:

I don't really like his reviews, he's too negative and always sounds like he's more complaining than actually reviewing, but that's just my opinion, tastes are different (I know he has a lot of fans). 

I watched the Before You Buy video from Jake Baldino (gameranx) and he wasn't that thrilled either. He said the game gets dull after a few hours and that it is "good but not great".

I still think I'll give it a try on the weekend.

14 hours ago, anotherfangirl said:

I don't really like his reviews, he's too negative and always sounds like he's more complaining than actually reviewing, but that's just my opinion, tastes are different (I know he has a lot of fans). 

I watched the Before You Buy video from Jake Baldino (gameranx) and he wasn't that thrilled either. He said the game gets dull after a few hours and that it is "good but not great".

You're right, of course, it's all about subjective taste, but one thing that always irks me in games discourse is the general notion that "good but not great" is a negative thing. 

If a game has a general consensus of "7/10" you see most people label it as trash as if a 7 is a bad score. Not everything needs to be (or realistically can be) an amazing masterpiece. What is wrong with a good/decent/solid game?

If you're THAT strapped for time and/or cash I guess I can understand someone only wanting "10/10's", but even then it just seems like a waste.

Edited by BENJAM1N_LINUS
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 6:29 PM, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

You're right, of course, it's all about subjective taste, but one thing that always irks me in games discourse is the general notion that "good but not great" is a negative thing. 

If a game has a general consensus of "7/10" you see most people label it as trash as if a 7 is a bad score. Not everything needs to be (or realistically can be) an amazing masterpiece. What is wrong with a good/decent/solid game?

If you're THAT strapped for time and/or cash I guess I can understand someone only wanting "10/10's", but even then it just seems like a waste.

Another thing is that people who can, should definitely go for a game that tries to do something new with the perception being great/good rather than going for the same safely played, low-risk 10/10 products

I wasn't too optimistic but I went for it and I greatly enjoyed the 2 hours that I spent, they really flew by. In absolute awe of the world design. My only wish is that I hope it doesn't get too repetitive. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ViKed_ said:

Another thing is that people who can, should definitely go for a game that tries to do something new with the perception being great/good rather than going for the same safely played, low-risk 10/10 products

I wasn't too optimistic but I went for it and I greatly enjoyed the 2 hours that I spent, they really flew by. In absolute awe of the world design. My only wish is that I hope it doesn't get too repetitive. 

Absolutely, especially because a game like this is bound to REALLY appeal to a niche group of people despite its flaws. I always think of reviewers as providing information for the majority, and maybe this game isn't super appealing to the majority, but you never know. It might be something you specifically end up being super into. Especially with how new and different the style is. 

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 9:48 AM, anotherfangirl said:

I stopped watching ACG when he endorsed the launch state of Destiny 2 as a 'Buy'. Demonetisation all those years ago made him come off shaky about annoying publishers for review copy privileges.

9 hours ago, JhOnNY_HD said:

Disgusting collectible fest.

it take me 10h the main story with some side content.

now almost 30h in 49% spirits and bunch of things to grab.

Avoid the game my advise

Damn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

I love this game 3 hours in, hope only a patch for better frame rate on performance mode is good, but not solid 60 fps... 

An IGN video talks about this issue and how you can solve it yourself from the In-game setting.

I'm Starting the game myself today as well. Looking forward to see how goo this really is.

• Like 1

Played it for around 13 hrs now and tbh its so much wasted Potential. The Combat with only 3 Attack Spells feels really boring to me. The Open World is again Bloated with symbols everywhere at least i can turn Markers on and off.

The Trophies itself are typical Open World Stuff with Tons of Collectibles.

Sad i was really hyped for this Game and Shibuya itself looks soooooooo good. Story had a lot of Potential which is absolut not used. Glad i didnt payed full price due to ps+ Discount and a Amazon giftcard which i used for a psn Card.

Dunno what they doing at Tango Gameworks. Its same like Evil Within. Great Start but dropped really hard really fast.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:42 AM, JhOnNY_HD said:

Disgusting collectible fest.

it take me 10h the main story with some side content.

now almost 30h in 49% spirits and bunch of things to grab.

Avoid the game my advise

I agree the story was short, so you will spend the bulk of game time doing collectibles. The worse one is the 240,300 Spirits. They all look the same; nothing interesting about them, so it feels like excessive busy work. You could easily do the story in under 10, so they inflated the playtime with 1000s of things to collect. 

On 20.03.2022 at 4:06 PM, mega-tallica said:

Its list looks like every other AAA mainstream game trophy list these days. Do everything the game has to offer or close to it, get all collectibles, and some easy misc. trophies. Different game, same crap. 

I loved The Evil Within games and Ghostwire looks interesting enough that I will eventually play it but for now I'm skipping it. I'm too fatigued and bored with modern AAA games to be bothered with this one right now. 

thats strange complain consindering Evil Within plat req. you to get all collectibles as well, and had 3+ playthroughs(also on pretty much sadistic difficulty tbh). at least Ghostwire is only 1 playthrough on any difficulty

4 hours ago, Voland44 said:

thats strange complain consindering Evil Within plat req. you to get all collectibles as well, and had 3+ playthroughs(also on pretty much sadistic difficulty tbh). at least Ghostwire is only 1 playthrough on any difficulty

Evil Within having a difficult trophy list doesn't make it worse by default. Whereas Ghostwire more follows the status quo with most modern AAA releases with a relatively easy trophy list and that doesn't by default make it better either. That's my point. Most modern AAA games all have the same trophy lists, nothing remotely challenging, just play the game once to completion (or in a game like Horizon 2, only 50% completion) and you're gifted a platinum. It's made trophy hunting much easier compared to the past but also much more boring. 

At the end of the day, you can play games however you wish for trophies, I don't care and I'm not trying to tell people what they should play, but from my perspective and opinion, it's much more rewarding getting trophies that are challenging and require skill and effort to get and I think modern AAA gaming has lost that by making everything so easy and it's really dumbed down the whole trophy hunting lore to the point where people just expect every new game to give them an easy platinum trophy and don't hesitate to complain the second a game doesn't follow that status quo. Where any trophy that requires anything over a moderate challenge or effort will spawn numerous vent/rant threads on these very forums complaining about it. 

• Like 1

Got the Plat just now! My save says 31 hours, so a good price to pick up this game for would be 30 bucks (1 per hour) in my eyes.

Very straightforward as the poster before me said. It's just a 'do everything' where difficulty setting doesn't matter. There's some RNG with getting all types of food (I had to run through town for a while to pick up all the grocery bags in the hope an RNG riceball would spawn at 1/50 chance, and one with drawing an unlucky fortune that's 1/100 chance.

On 28.03.2022 at 4:34 PM, mega-tallica said:

Evil Within having a difficult trophy list doesn't make it worse by default. Whereas Ghostwire more follows the status quo with most modern AAA releases with a relatively easy trophy list and that doesn't by default make it better either. That's my point. Most modern AAA games all have the same trophy lists, nothing remotely challenging, just play the game once to completion (or in a game like Horizon 2, only 50% completion) and you're gifted a platinum. It's made trophy hunting much easier compared to the past but also much more boring. 

At the end of the day, you can play games however you wish for trophies, I don't care and I'm not trying to tell people what they should play, but from my perspective and opinion, it's much more rewarding getting trophies that are challenging and require skill and effort to get and I think modern AAA gaming has lost that by making everything so easy and it's really dumbed down the whole trophy hunting lore to the point where people just expect every new game to give them an easy platinum trophy and don't hesitate to complain the second a game doesn't follow that status quo. Where any trophy that requires anything over a moderate challenge or effort will spawn numerous vent/rant threads on these very forums complaining about it. 

welp, you should have been more straighforward and say that you miss "diffculty option" trophies. but thing is, not every game NEED "over the top" difficulty. some can be fun just as it is. its better have freedom, rather than forced unbalanced crap like "brutal" in uncharted remasters or "uber" in wolfenstein 2 without deaths. difficulty should be DESIGNED for the game, like FromSoft games or Ninja Gaiden. 

apart from that, this platinum is pretty much want you to actually complete game to 100% with doing everything, and not 50% like horizon you mentioned. btw sony intended making platinums "easy" for better sales.

Edited by Voland44
  • Like 1

1 missable from two enemy types that run but there are 3 of each(?) so as long as you know them its easy, just super super time consuming... 21hrs and im at 50% spirits.... Everything at my stage is just a long grind. I can and probably will platinum it, but we shall see. Too many collectables/full data logs...

spirits, skills, enemy types, max level, magitama, outfits, music, tanuki, shrine gates, side quests, and even still i am probably missing a few from this list lol. 

18 minutes ago, Voland44 said:

welp, you should have been more straighforward and say that you miss "diffculty option" trophies. but thing is, not every game NEED "over the top" difficulty. some can be fun just as it is. its better have freedom, rather than forced unbalanced crap like "brutal" in uncharted remasters or "uber" in wolfenstein 2 without deaths. difficulty should be DESIGNED for the game, like FromSoft games or Ninja Gaiden. 

apart from that, this platinum is pretty much want you to actually complete game to 100% with doing everything, and not 50% like horizon you mentioned. btw sony intended making platinums "easy" for better sales.

That's my point, many games are leaning towards easier trophy lists and not just 1st party titles, it's now 3rd party titles as well like this, to the point where most AAA games being released nowadays have platinum difficulties less than a 5/10 with many being far easier than that. From the PS3 days of trophy hunting, trophy lists have become incredibly dumbed down in comparison to how it used to be difficulty-wise. Which is fine as again, I don't care how others value trophies and the difficulty source they get them from, I'm simply pointing this fact out. Modern day trophy hunting is incredibly easier than how it used to be, no need to be defensive over it. 

19 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

That's my point, many games are leaning towards easier trophy lists and not just 1st party titles, it's now 3rd party titles as well like this, to the point where most AAA games being released nowadays have platinum difficulties less than a 5/10 with many being far easier than that. From the PS3 days of trophy hunting, trophy lists have become incredibly dumbed down in comparison to how it used to be difficulty-wise. Which is fine as again, I don't care how others value trophies and the difficulty source they get them from, I'm simply pointing this fact out. Modern day trophy hunting is incredibly easier than how it used to be, no need to be defensive over it. 

old days developers simply "i wonder what else we can add to keep busy players more and more AND MORE". which usally ended up with online boosting, situational nonsense, unbalansed difficulties, grind and other crappy trophies designed for cheap extending playertime. not a meaningful challenge.

again, this is depends on the game. for example ninja gaiden designed for challenge, so it should have difficulty trophies. or we have uncharted, which is story driven blockbuster, so combat not designed as some hardcore survival shooter. as for Ghostwire, we know long before release, that it wasnt supposed to be some hardcore game. just some AAA casual "spiritual" action. 

TL;DR nowadays platinum become some sort of "roadmap" for games, which is much better attitude, i think. 

Edited by Voland44