Kitty_Paine

Mystery Visual Novels (With investigation segments))

17 posts in this topic

I'm interested in more if any know if any. I'll list the one's I've played/are backlogged.

Danganronpa Series

Ace Attorney Series (Includes The Great Ace Attorney)

Nonary Games Series

Gothic Murder: An Adventure that changes Destiny

I am also a fan of the Steins;Gate/Chaos series. I own most of the games available on Playstation in English.

I own a PS3, Vita, PS4 and a PS5. Please don't hesitate to reccomend games on them. If they are delisted and available physically please mention this, and I am only looking for games in English.

I think House of Fata Morgana would be right up your alley. It's more closer to Stein's Gate than Danganronpa, but it definitely has that mystery vibe going for it and definitely would be grouped with those games.

I would also say that L.A. Noire is very mystery-related where you solve murders, but just know that there's a mix between solving murders and gunplay so it's not all just reading and solving cases and puzzles like others you listed. I haven't finished it yet, but solving the murders has been my favorite part.

The only other game that came to mind was Heavy Rain. You play as a private detective and as an FBI agent and depending on how well your investigation goes can drastically change the ending. Really though, all the characters are doing their own "investigation," just going about it different ways. Definitely is a mystery game with a little bit of drama and romance mixed in. 

Of course, if you research any of these games, beware of spoilers. It's not fun having the ending spoiled before playing story-heavy games. xD

I am playing/reading Hermitage: Strange Case Files at the moment. I have only solved Case 1 so far, but it is a clear mystery story with some investigative parts. Not as interactive as Danganronpa since there is area to move in, but you have to gather clues through reading books/internet and questioning people before you ultimately have to make correct deductions to finish the case. Bad endings are possible if you fail a deduction.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, hbg said:

I am playing/reading Hermitage: Strange Case Files at the moment. I have only solved Case 1 so far, but it is a clear mystery story with some investigative parts. Not as interactive as Danganronpa since there is area to move in, but you have to gather clues through reading books/internet and questioning people before you ultimately have to make correct deductions to finish the case. Bad endings are possible if you fail a deduction.

I actually bought both versions as it seemed right up my alley. Haven't started them yet though. 

I did play L.A. Noire on PS3. Finding the cars was such a hassle lol. I also finished Heavy Rain on PS4 thanks to Plus. Haven't heard of House of Fata Morgana, I'll check it out. 

EDIT: OOH! There's a bundle and it sounds really good, thank you!

Edited by Kitty_Paine

I like these a lot, the ones I know in English besides those already mentioned are:

London Detective Mysteria on PS Vita, which is an Otome where you investigate mysteries with Sherlock and Watson, if you liked Gothic Murder it's basically a longer/better version of that. 

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark and Spirit Hunter: NG are VNs with a really beautiful art style where you investigate ghost stories/urban legends and find out what really happened. Highly recommend if you don't mind supernatural elements. 

Collar X Malice is another Vita Otome where you play as a police officer investigating a doomsday cult that has placed a bomb collar around your neck, it has a way better story and villains than a lot of non-dating sims which is crazy. 

2 minutes ago, DeadlyPerfume said:

I like these a lot, the ones I know in English besides those already mentioned are:

London Detective Mysteria on PS Vita, which is an Otome where you investigate mysteries with Sherlock and Watson, if you liked Gothic Murder it's basically a longer/better version of that. 

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark and Spirit Hunter: NG are VNs with a really beautiful art style where you investigate ghost stories/urban legends and find out what really happened. Highly recommend if you don't mind supernatural elements. 

Collar X Malice is another Vita Otome where you play as a police officer investigating a doomsday cult that has placed a bomb collar around your neck, it has a way better story and villains than a lot of non-dating sims which is crazy. 

I have all of those. I've only finished CollarxMalice so far. Thank you though.

Posted (edited)

AI: The Somnium Files (PS4), dialogue is text based similar to a VN & fully voiced in English. It's a murder-mystery with a nice gameplay twist, you get to jump into a suspect's subconscious & unravel the truth. I found it unique, funny, loved everything about it. Highly recommend. 

Death Mark (Vita & PS4?), horror VN that has excellent scares. Plenty of investigative elements as you have to figure out the back story of ghosts you face to exercise them. 

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (Vita), more VN then investigating if I remember right. I didn't end up enjoying it, but you might. 

Slightly off the mark suggestions:

Judgment (PS4), recently started this myself, but you play as a private eye looking into murders where Yakuza are the victims. 

Detroit: Become Human (PS4), you probably have this, I didn't look at your list, but one of the main characters is an android homicide detective. So, investigations.

Honorable mention to Heavy Rain. 

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (Vita), this is a quirky one. Partly investigative like Death Mark, with battle elements. I'd watch some gameplay before jumping into this, it wasn't the fun/easiest platinum. 

Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games (PS3/4), I mean, that's gotta check off some boxes. Not a VN, though. 

Lost Dimension (PSV/3/4), close to Danganronpa where you have to figure out who the traitor in your group is. It has battle elements. 

These all are better than I make them sound, but it's Monday & that's all I can think of 🤔

Edited by Gretchen27

Root Film and Root Letter Last Answer. Both are mystery visual novels. Film is a linear story were you investigate murder cases and Letter let you search for a missing girl that was your pen pal 10 years ago (it has 5 different endings).

Also there are the more traditional mystery visual novels Worldend Syndrome (a dead girl and the local legend of returning dead people) Raging Loop (the werwolf game in VN form) and Yu No: A Girl who chants love at the bound of this world (VN about parallel worlds with point and click gameplay elements).

Also not per se mystery but in the same series as Steins;Gate there is the Robotic;Notes Double Pack.

For investigation parts there are games like The Sinking City (Lovecraft detective game with an open world) and Blacksad Under the Skin (Telltale like game in the film noir genre but I think the platinum isn´t obtainable in the US version).

Damn it. You guys know me far too well. You are reccomending games I have completed or have backlogged. 

For the record though the only part of Psycho-Pass I liked was the 2048 mini game. 🤣

Me sitting here making sure I jot down the ones I'm missing from my collection.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Not as interactive, but might be up your alley from a VN perspective

Silver Case/25th Ward: older games from Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacturer

For upcoming titles:

AI  Somnium Files : Nirvana Initiative - if you liked the first one

Enigma Archives Rain Code - from the Danganronpa creators

Seconding Root Letter. I've only played the original vesion (there's a remake that uses real actors) but I really enjoyed it. It was also interesting to see an actual world location from Japan used beyond the typical sites from Tokyo we often see (such as the scramble crossing in Shibuya). I believe it was even made in cooperate with the prefectural tourism board in Shimane. 

Some of the Wales Interactive FMV games might also fit the bill. I think The Shapeshfiting Detective and The Night Shift are the two stand-outs. Night Shift is more like an interactive film I suppose, and maybe more of a suspense tale than investigation, but Shapeshifting Detective seems on point for that style of play. 

If you can access the Japanese PS3 store and read Japanese they also have a version of Policenauts for the original Playstation. 

41 minutes ago, Gueeds said:

Me sitting here making sure I jot down the ones I'm missing from my collection.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Not as interactive, but might be up your alley from a VN perspective

Silver Case/25th Ward: older games from Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacturer

For upcoming titles:

AI  Somnium Files : Nirvana Initiative - if you liked the first one

Enigma Archives Rain Code - from the Danganronpa creators

Silver Case/25th Ward is that a PS3 game? Never heard of it.

Enigma 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Kitty_Paine said:

Silver Case/25th Ward is that a PS3 game? Never heard of it.

It's actually 2 games, and both are on PS4.

The Silver Case is a HD remastered version of an early Suda51 game: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP1063-CUSA07269_00-THESILVERCASEPS4

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case is a remake of the follow up to that game: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP1063-CUSA10995_00-25THWARDPS400000

Edited by Stevieboy

10 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

It's actually 2 games, and both are on PS4.

The Silver Case is a HD remastered version of an early Suda51 game: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP1063-CUSA07269_00-THESILVERCASEPS4

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case is a remake of the follow up to that game: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP1063-CUSA10995_00-25THWARDPS400000

Ooh ty! Also hi Stevie 👋👀

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Kitty_Paine said:

Ooh ty! Also hi Stevie 1f44b.png1f440.png

Hey Kitty. :wave:

No problem. I'm a big fan of Suda51's games, although I haven't played either of those ones yet myself.

Edited by Stevieboy

-Kotodama, you don't do any real investigation, but the story it's about solving the mysteries of a school where a girl has committed suicide. 

-428 Shibuya Scramble, police, virus, terrorism, girls in cat costumes... 

If Disco Elysium counts, I'd highly recommend that one. You're an amnesic police officer trying to solve a hanging while also trying to figure out how you lost your memory.