Ur-Dragon Defeat: How'd You Do It?

flashpool23

If you've played DRAGON'S DOGMA by now, you probably know that the UR-DRAGON is the hardest battle in the game. You've probably also had the experience of facing it, but were you one of the Arisen to defeat it?

I managed to defeat the Ur-Dragon by bringing in a mage pawn to heal me, a strider to help distract it,and my own main pawn as a warrior to attack in those moments the Ur-Dragon was down. Meanwhile,I was a strider who varied my attacks on the Ur-Dragon accordingly.

At first, I grabbed onto the Ur-Dragon and struck at it with my daggers until only the wings remained, then I used my bow and arrow with Fivefold Flurry to aim at the wings(although that took forever) but eventually I was able to bring the dragon down.

As a note, I did this in offline mode since its health was supposedly much lower although I can't attest to that. Would you say offline is better, or online since the goodies are supposedly much grander?

And how'd you do it?

I'm asking because there are many ways to beat the Ur-Dragon and it might help players strategize better upon the Ur-Dragon's arrival once it leaves the first time or more.

I was a mage archer, had a warrior with war cry Only to destract it, and 2 other rangers. I climbed on it with leg strength and arm strength and any other ability that allows you to hang on longer. Use 100 kisses on every spot but its wings. Use the bow to finish off the wings with the light arrows. Offline, you can kill him without him leaving. Also bring some healing items and liquid vim for stamina.

Mage archer here too, the auto aim its a big plus...it was fairly easy...then I killed it again as an assassin, with the assassin's augments and skills this enemy is a joke, easy to do it solo...

btw this is the guide I wrote here a while ago:

Not so hard on offline, but rather lengthy. The trophy can also be achieve by defeating the Ur-Dragon online, but it's a hard feat to accomplish not to mention that you will need a huge amount of luck to deal the final blow. So with that in mind this guide is for the offline Ur-Dragon.
I wouldn't recommend trying this if you are not level 45 , so I strongly encourage you doing NG+ first to finish up some other trophies.

The beast can be found on the Everfall chamber (post-game), or by accessing the riftone (NG+) at Starfall Bay, located within Cassardis. When you arrive to the location you'll see 3 random pawns (probably pawns that you have used) they are being controlled by the Ur-Dragon, kill them, they are not strong. After you kill them wait a couple of seconds and the Ur-Dragon will appear thus the battle will start. The Ur-Dragon has glowing purple spots all over its body, this is where you have to focus your attacks, see it this way, if you attack and you see purple blood, you're dealing damage, if you see black blood you aren't dealing any damage at all. The purple spots will glow red when they are being attacked then white temporarily when destroyed and then that spot will turn into rotten flesh, which mean its time to move on to another heart/purple spot. The Ur-Dragon will leave if you haven't killed it within 10 minutes, don't panic, simply get out of there, go to rest in an inn and go back again, it's health bar will be as you left it, it will keep leaving until you kill it, that's why its such a lengthy battle, just don't leave before it does.

Recommended Class:
Magick Archer; not only you'll have the bow that is capable of tracking the Ur-Dragon and it's hearts but you'll also be able to equip a staff to deal thunder, fire and ice damage. Apart for that you can equip daggers and climb to the most difficult spots and deal a lot of damage too.
Assassin; Assassin's have the most powerful augments on the game, simply play around with your equipment (don't forget a bow) and use the following augments/skills: Bloodlust,Autonomy/Invisibility,Gale Harness.

You can defeat the Ur-Dragon with other classes too but I suggest you use the ones I mentioned above the first time you face it.

Pawns to take with you:
You'll need holy light skills so take a Mage that has holy affinity enchantments and of course heal ability (not just for you but for the other pawns) better if this pawn has medicant inclination. Another must have pawn is a Ranger to help you with the "hardest to hit spots" on the Ur-Dragon. And finally but not less important a Warrior or Fighter, you will need one of these with scather or challenger inclination and with a huge amount of health as you will want him/her on the Ur-Dragon all the time keeping him busy and dealing the most damage on the easiest spots.

Final notes:
-Take a lot of healing items with you, also mushrooms and liquid vim.
-Maker Fingers won't kill the Ur-Dragon, instead if aimed to a heart it can deal a huge amount of damage.
-Be careful, the Ur-Dragon can use Petrification on you and on your pawns so take some curatives to use against this attack.
-Sometimes the Ur-Dragon will grab a pawn and take control of it, this pawn will attack you and the other pawns, simply kill him/her and revive him again. This can be stopped by attacking him continuously until he let go of the pawn
-When he stands up and you see a blue ball of fire on its mouth it basically means to RUN. Stay as far away as you can and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps!
Good luck and remember to have fun! ^ ^

Edited by King of the Jungle
  • Like 2

If you've played DRAGON'S DOGMA by now, you probably know that the UR-DRAGON is the hardest battle in the game. You've probably also had the experience of facing it, but were you one of the Arisen to defeat it?

I don't know if you have the Dark Souls Arisen content, but the offline Ur-dragon isn't the hardest battle (at least for me). Anyway, my arisen and main pawn are rangers with the tenfold arrow attack and have blast arrows equiped. Both have a complete set of Oblivion armor, Revenant Wail bows and Framae Blade daggers (everything is gold rarified). I also use liquid vim so I don't run out of stamina.That's usually enough to beat it in 5-7 minutes. The Online version is something else. I use 2 rangers, 1 mage for healing and fire/holy buffs and 1 warrior that serves as a tank.

If you (or anyone else) is having trouble defeating the Ur-dragon, send me a PSN friend request (blank request will be deleted). When I accept it, you can hire my lvl 200 pawn for free. Also take a look at this thread for more free pawns: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/10519-pawns-request-thread/

-Sometimes the Ur-Dragon will grab a pawn and take control of it, this pawn will attack you and the other pawns, simply kill him/her and revive him again. This can be stopped by attacking him continuously until he let go of the pawn

Wow mate, that's an impressive post that covered most of the info :yay: . I do have one thing to add though: I noticed it's easier to interrupt his mind control by attacking the hand that's holding the pawn.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

I had a level 200 and 85 pawn in my party and the level 200 is from Dragon-Archon and like he said, it's fucking overequipped lol. She doesn't die often. :P

Took me 5 runs or so and I was only level 42 then.

About the mind control attack, shooting the hand it's probably the easiest way indeed.

Oh but I did die about 7 times lol.

Wow I just read what Entimecago said, excellent post mate! I should try to beat the Ur-Dragon a second time and might even try out the Magick Archer class. :)

Edited by MrCostari
  • Like 2

I was a mage archer, had a warrior with war cry Only to destract it, and 2 other rangers. I climbed on it with leg strength and arm strength and any other ability that allows you to hang on longer. Use 100 kisses on every spot but its wings. Use the bow to finish off the wings with the light arrows. Offline, you can kill him without him leaving. Also bring some healing items and liquid vim for stamina.

War cry? Is that the ability where they bang on their shield to distract the enemy? Cause my warrior didn't really help with distracting once the wings were left, it just kept going for the already dead hearts on the legs and body.  

War cry? Is that the ability where they bang on their shield to distract the enemy? Cause my warrior didn't really help with distracting once the wings were left, it just kept going for the already dead hearts on the legs and body.  

Yes, it stops the dragon from moving as much so it's easier to attack...When the wings are left, just pull out the bow and let the arrows fly!

Take this advice from a veteran hunter of the online Ur Dragon -- either bring Sorcerer pawns for the wings or load up on Blast Arrows.  The former should be using High/Grand Bolide or High/Grand Gicel (depending on whether or not you have upgrade rings from Bitterblack Island by way of the Dark Arisen expansion), or you should have archers using Blast Arrows and a good set of ranged skills (Strider/Assassin/Magic Archer/Ranger).  There's no way to target the wingtips short of ranged attacks.

• 1 month later...

Offline! Online I wasn't putting a dent in the dragon & it would fly away after awhile guess it got bored lol!! When I would come back it would either loss health or be the same & don't let it fly off again OMG now it coming back with more health like he went & took a nap! Honestly I think its way easier to beat offline but thats only my experience! I was a strider my pawns was2 striders & magi

Barbeque ur-dragon any one!? :P

Online I wasn't putting a dent in the dragon & it would fly away after awhile guess it got bored lol!! When I would come back it would either loss health or be the same & don't let it fly off again OMG now it coming back with more health like he went & took a nap!

The online Ur Dragon has a massive pool of HP and you generally won't see any noticeable change in his HP bar during an attack round unless you're very high level with very good equipment, very good strategy and tactics, very good support pawns, et cetera.  Even if you have all of that, the online Ur Dragon isn't something that one person is ever going to kill on his own.  Typically, it takes the world community several days working together to bring the online Ur Dragon down to zero health.

It seems to me that you have little-to-no understanding of how the online version of the Ur-Dragon works.  Rather than go into detail here, I'd refer you to any number of other sites and wikis that do a better job of explaining the process and/or tracking his health so that people have an idea of when he might die and go into "Grace Period" for everyone else to get their own kills on a particular generation of the online beastie.

• Like 1

It seems to me that you have little-to-no understanding of how the online version of the Ur-world works.  Rather than go into detail here, I'd refer you to any number of other sites and wikis that do a better job of explaining the process and/or tracking his health so that people have an idea of when he might die and go into "Grace Period" for everyone else to get their own kills on a particular generation of the online beastie.

Yeah I didn't have a understanding to the online world at all, going into the fight i had confident of my abilities but boy was I wrong!

• 2 months later...

I won't lie, I was about on level 96 with a lot of points stored up.  I ended up grabbing two rangers on a level much higher than me and ended up having them take care of most of the dragon.  I was a magic archer myself and my pawn was a healer. After the other two pawns got most of the spots, I stepped in and took care of the rest. :D