Chalice dungeon before ending or in NG+?

Vault-TecPhantom

Hi, 

I don't usually do this for a first playthrough but I've been following both guides as I really don't fancy doing a second full playthrough.

Both guides advise doing the chalice dungeons before facing the final boss but seeing as it's suggested that you be at least level 120+ to do the chalice dungeons (at least the first one with the shortcut) how am I supposed to reach level 120? I'm level 71 now and predict I will be about level 80 at the most by the time I'm ready to do the dungeons. Do I have to farm areas first?

2 minutes ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

If I remember right, Chalices don’t scale in difficulty with ng+.  They start out really easy because your meant to play them as you unlock them in the game so you will smash through most of them.

Yeah, the guide says it doesn't scale but my concern is that the chalices require material for rituals, some of which are missable if you don't get them before doing NG+.

You unlock the materials by doing the chalices though.  Either through drops or by unlocking them from the Bath Messengers.  If you really want to save some grief though, just look into the chalice codes which you can use to bypass most of it.

edit:  Basically I’m suggesting you stay in NG and do the chalices before NG+.

Edited by Mr_Stkrdknmiblz

10 minutes ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

You unlock the materials by doing the chalices though.  Either through drops or by unlocking them from the Bath Messengers.  If you really want to save some grief though, just look into the chalice codes which you can use to bypass most of it.

edit:  Basically I’m suggesting you stay in NG and do the chalices before NG+.

Yeah, I plan on using the bypass codes and by doing that, according to the guide, some of the materials needed will be in the dungeons I'll be skipping.

OK, if I stay in NG which I predict will take me to about level 80 before the final boss how do I reach 120?

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out the first dungeon doesn't really need to be that high, and the bypass method has some echoes farming tips that should get me to 120.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom

21 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Yeah, I plan on using the bypass codes and by doing that, according to the guide, some of the materials needed will be in the dungeons I'll be skipping.

OK, if I stay in NG which I predict will take me to about level 80 before the final boss how do I reach 120?

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out the first dungeon doesn't really need to be that high, and the bypass method has some echoes farming tips that should get me to 120.

If you want to farm really fast, there's also a notorious glitch which allows you to consume a certain item infinitely in the Hunter's Dream. You can select any potion which gives you blood echoes and drink it as much as you want

It's a bit hard to explain here, but you can definitely find it out on youtube

I’m not even sure you even need to be level 120.  Your only doing the chalice for the required weapon and the Queen boss right?  You can get both of those using the codes.  And if you need specific materials for those chalices, there are codes for the materials.  Just a case of making what you need as you need it.

Edited by Mr_Stkrdknmiblz

28 minutes ago, ShinySpidey said:

If you want to farm really fast, there's also a notorious glitch which allows you to consume a certain item infinitely in the Hunter's Dream. You can select any potion which gives you blood echoes and drink it as much as you want

It's a bit hard to explain here, but you can definitely find it out on youtube

Is that the one that requires you to run into the storage box while pressing triangle , touch pad and X? The timing on that is so fussy that I just prefer to acquire the echoes legit instead. The other glitch , which is better, requires the game to be unpatched but I'm playing the patched version.

32 minutes ago, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

I’m not even sure you even need to be level 120.  Your only doing the chalice for the required weapon and the Queen boss right?  You can get both of those using the codes.  And if you need specific materials for those chalices, there are codes for the materials.  Just a case of making what you need as you need it.

Yes, but I read that you need to be at least 120 for the queen boss and that you need to do all 3 layers in her dungeon to get to her as well even with the shortcut.

I'll check out the codes for the materials. Know where I can find those codes?

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Yes, but I read that you need to be at least 120 for the queen boss and that you need to do all 3 layers in her dungeon to get to her as well even with the shortcut.

I'll check out the codes for the materials. Know where I can find those codes?

Depends on your ability I guess.  If your doing the Queen the legit way it can be hard with half health, but using the reverse chalice you would be at full health.  

If your doing the DLC too, that’s way more difficult than the Queen.  And if you are, chances are you would have enough souls from doing that anyway.

There a reverse chalice where you literally spawn at the lantern, take a few steps forward and receive loads of souls for an enemy dying elsewhere in the dungeon that you can farm endlessly for by warping back to the lantern and repeating.

20 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Is that the one that requires you to run into the storage box while pressing triangle , touch pad and X? The timing on that is so fussy that I just prefer to acquire the echoes legit instead. The other glitch , which is better, requires the game to be unpatched but I'm playing the patched version.

Exactly. The timing is actually not that hard but you have to put some practice in it and get used to it. I didn't know about the other glitch with the game unpatched. Anyway I'm glad you got the platinum! 

The DLC is really hard, but it's worth it in my opinion, because the boss fights are amazing and ultimately very fun

Edited by ShinySpidey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShinySpidey said:

Exactly. The timing is actually not that hard but you have to put some practice in it and get used to it. I didn't know about the other glitch with the game unpatched. Anyway I'm glad you got the platinum! 

The DLC is really hard, but it's worth it in my opinion, because the boss fights are amazing and ultimately very fun

Cheers. And yeah, I just couldn't be bothered to learn the timing - the main game isn't too hard so levelling up was reasonable, especially once you find good farming spots (Witch's Abode has a really good one mid game) so I was happy to just go through it naturally. .It was just going from level 80 to 120 would have been a grind but thankfully that excellent dungeon farming tip on the other thread helped. The other glitch is the one in  powerpyx guide but you would need an unpatched version first since it was patched out in 1.02.