How does gear work?

Thomas2400

Just got to be the second area and beat the first boss and got a trophy for it but now every main mission and side mission is a higher level than me had and I'm struggling in them 

When it comes to gear what should I be focusing on, so far I've got been using whatever has the highest defence power and not really paying attention to the equipment level 

Am I doing it right? Should I be focusing the level more? 

Is there any other ways to get my defense and attack levels up, I know I could get a few levels but I'm seen a lot of people saying it comes down to equipment more anyway and that levels provide a small boost 

34 minutes ago, Thomas2400 said:

Just got to be the second area and beat the first boss and got a trophy for it but now every main mission and side mission is a higher level than me had and I'm struggling in them 

When it comes to gear what should I be focusing on, so far I've got been using whatever has the highest defence power and not really paying attention to the equipment level 

Am I doing it right? Should I be focusing the level more? 

Is there any other ways to get my defense and attack levels up, I know I could get a few levels but I'm seen a lot of people saying it comes down to equipment more anyway and that levels provide a small boost 

there are special sets that have stats that grant you either extra ki damage or other with questions marks. Those you can mix and match but you have to look at the weight. Golden rule is under 69.9% or below. Other sets have the same name so you’d have to farm, in case you want to use that set for those specific abilities. Since you’re very early, I say mix and match. Focus on putting leveling points to the weapon you’re actually using. Magic is OP in this game. Lastly, lots of patience ?? if you’re doing it solo, you’ll need it

Yep just make sure you don't exceed 70% weight, because then your character will be slower and stamina regen will be less. So just mix and match for now, try to go with high defense if it isn't too heavy. It isn't worth doing a lot of gear optimization until NG+ because you're constantly getting better gear.