All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with 700+ games and more value than ever

58 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

So does this mean PC players no longer have access to play PS Now games after the change? What happens with people who purchased a yearly PS Now subscription and only play on PC?

It seems like it's available, but only in the Premium tier:

PlayStation Plus Premium**

Benefits

• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations 
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.*** 
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

For people who are purely playing on PC that's a lot of money, just to play mostly old games. Especially since you have no use for the PS+ benefits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Now will be converted to the highest tier and you'll continue playing on PC.

1 hour ago, Lojtana said:

It seems like it's available, but only in the Premium tier:

For people who are purely playing on PC that's a lot of money, just to play mostly old games. Especially since you have no use for the PS+ benefits.

Ah ok great, missed that part. Thanks for confirming. Not that I'm in this boat, but would suck for PC players if they ended up getting stranded (although not sure if many will want to pay this new price but we'll see...)

I'm gonna subscribe to the Ultimate tier. Hope we get trophies for the classic games, but it's not a given. I'll still play them regardless. I would like some Vita games added. Vita games that could run on a PlayStation TV should be fair game for trying to emulate on PS Plus Ultimate. Persona 4 Golden and some others would be nice. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XXIIlII said:

No download for PS3 games = L

It would require a massive amount of work on Sonys end to get the PS5 to be able to emulate PS3 games properly because of how much differently the processor on the PS3 functioned. Hopefully they’d be able to get that working one day, but until then they can only offer streaming sadly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

It would require a massive amount of work on Sonys end to get the PS5 to be able to emulate PS3 games properly because of how much differently the processor on the PS3 functioned. Hopefully they’d be able to get that working one day, but until then they can only offer streaming sadly

We are so far past the point of this being really true.

The RPCS3 team have got their emulator running really well and on hardware far less powerful than a PS5.

If they can do it, Sony sure as hell can.

Everytime someone says 'oh the cell processor is far too complex to emulate' it just gives Sony a pass to not do the work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KyuTrophies said:

The RPCS3 team have got their emulator running really well and on hardware far less powerful than a PS5.

Everytime someone says 'oh the cell processor is far too complex to emulate' it just gives Sony a pass to not do the work.

"running really well" is absolutely a subjective opinion on this matter since the bar for "running" is quite low for the folks running and supporting the RPCS3, however we aren't going to derail this conversation about the new PlayStation Plus service service with discussion about third party PS3 emulation. Create a new topic if you want to discuss that.

5 minutes ago, KyuTrophies said:

You can't compare people working for free/donations to people that are getting paid salaries the work within budgets.

Sony can't put out something as incomplete as RPCS3 or any PS3 emulator with poor game support rates and high number of performance issues.

They would be razed to the ground for lazy, incompetent work.

54 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

they've filed a patent for something that will bring trophy support to older games, but it's probably a long way off so hold off on going past the second tier till they do.

The most recent patent was an extension of the patent they first filed in January 2016 (https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US201395089&_fid=US320326875)

If they were going to do anything with it, we would have seen it by now.

4 hours ago, BlindMango said:

People who work on such things are saying that it's completely possible to do, they'd just need a team dedicated to it and the theoretical millions to pay them.

I can't find it off hand, but there was postings from the RPCS3 guys saying they were able to get their emulator bootable on a PS5 dev kit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

People who work on such things are saying that it's completely possible to do, they'd just need a team dedicated to it and the theoretical millions to pay them.

I really feel like that last part is the major problem with actually doing it, the last roadblock or hurdle really.
Especially since I'd imagine that as many people as there are that might benefit from it, it still wouldn't be nearly enough to warrant the investment and they'd lose a lot of money.

Regrettably and relatively few people when we're speaking in the grand scheme of things really care about this kind of stuff, unfortunately. I'd still greatly appreciate it regardless.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

If they're going to keep relying on the PS3 streaming, hopefully they flesh out their PS3 library. Tons of PS3 exclusives like Infamous I'd love to play.

They also majorly need to fix their streaming quality though because the compression is ugly.

Infamous has been on Now for years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

I really feel like that last part is the major problem with actually doing it, the last roadblock or hurdle really.
Especially since I'd imagine that as many people as there are that might benefit from it, it still wouldn't be nearly enough to warrant the investment and they'd lose a lot of money.

Regrettably and relatively few people when we're speaking in the grand scheme of things really care about this kind of stuff, unfortunately. I'd still greatly appreciate it regardless.

Oh yeah, the major problem is the cost. I've said in other threads about this that I'd doubt the full BC we want would return the investment into making it. Particularly so when companies like Nintendo exist and have upselling older games as a major business practice, any market annalist would agree that just repackaging the winners is the better money making strategy. Doubly so when there are jerks like me willing to buy the Ratchet & Clank collection for a fourth time, you know the cash is just waiting to be caught.

• Like 1

I'm glad the bottom tier is remaining at the same price. In saying that though, I wouldn't mind an even cheaper option which just let me play online and didn't give me free games, I would switch to that straight away. The free games lately haven't really been worth it for me personally.

The top tier doesn't interest me at all. I have no desire to play older games from PS1/2/3 eras. They had their time to shine. I enjoyed them and moved on. Too many new and exciting games to play to dwell on old games.

• Like 2

If they're going to add old PS1/PSP titles, then I'd want them to add Star Ocean: The Second Story (it galls me how SOSS is the only SO title previously released on PS not available on PS4/PS5). It was never made available on Vita, and while I still have PSP its battery went kaput and I haven't been able to find a replacement so both the handheld and its games are sitting in storage gathering dust.

While we're at it, add Trails of Sky FC & SC (again, not available on PS4/PS5- released for PSP, but still playable on Vita), along with Xenosaga trilogy. Oh and toss in the dotHack quadrilogy too.

• Like 1