Brutal Uncharted vs. Akumu ?!

Sk1pper_Oz

If you have played both. What is worst?

I've just 100% the 3 Uncharted games. Was considering to give this a try. Brutal was meant to be super hard.. but wasn't really imo. Of course you die a lot but nothing that made me destroy a pad (and I have destroyed plenty ?).

If you have played both, witch one would you consider the hardest?

Akumu is easier in my opinion but is not easy in any regard.

You'll die to less bullshit in Akumu compared to Brutal in Uncharted 1 for example. It's easier to prepare for each chapter since everything can be controlled much better than uncharted where random gunshots from anywhere almost one-shot you (I haven't played Uncharted in years so I might be wrong). I only used a guide for certain parts of Akumu, but that's probably because I played the game around 4 times before doing Akumu so I had the game pretty much memorized. It's mostly annoying once you get to zombies with guns around chapter 11 if I remember, other than that the game is manageable since most zombies use melee.

I had much more fun doing Akumu than Brutal (mostly on Uncharted 1 cause it's the hardest) and solidified Evil Within as one of my favorite games.

Edited by Burstawesome
  • Like 1

Akumu, no doubt about it. You essentially have to be flawless, you get one-hit KO'ed on akumu. Even Uncharted on the highest difficulty still allows you to get hit a few times and is much more forgiving in that regard.

I only attempted the first chapter in the first Evil Within and didn't get very far before frustration set in and gave up shortly after as I found it basically impossible. This was right when the game was released, I'm sure now there are plenty of strategies to be found online to make it easier and more doable. It's still tough though, much tougher than Uncharted IMO. 

In the 2nd one, I believe there's cheats you can use to make it easier and it doesn't disable trophies. Also likely why it has a higher platinum percentage compared to the first game. 

Edited by mega-tallica
  • Like 1

This depends a little, Uncharted trilogy on brutal with cheats would be pretty trivial(I’d imaginen, never used them tbh)

But based on my personal perspective.

Akuma > Brutal 1-3 

Akuma is a much more fair game and is highly based on skill and your overall knowledge of the games mechanics and enemy/level design.

But with all that, Akuma is harder then Brutal, even without cheats, due to Akuma being a low key no damage run, we’re the game resets you back to your last check point.

For these reasons I consider it more difficult.

Brutal for UC 1-3(no cheats) is mostly just bullshit, but there is still some skill involved.

If your the type that has good awareness and a nice shoot when it comes to headshots, then you can for sure overcome even the most difficult sections of the trilogy.

Just know there are more then a handful of parts that you just dying until rng has mercy on you.

Hardest to easiest games in order are 

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

This depends a little, Uncharted trilogy on brutal with cheats would be pretty trivial(I’d imaginen, never used them tbh)

But based on my personal perspective.

Akuma > Brutal 1-3 

Akuma is a much more fair game and is highly based on skill and your overall knowledge of the games mechanics and enemy/level design.

But with all that, Akuma is harder then Brutal, even without cheats, due to Akuma being a low key no damage run, we’re the game resets you back to your last check point.

For these reasons I consider it more difficult.

Brutal for UC 1-3(no cheats) is mostly just bullshit, but there is still some skill involved.

If your the type that has good awareness and a nice shoot when it comes to headshots, then you can for sure overcome even the most difficult sections of the trilogy.

Just know there are more then a handful of parts that you just dying until rng has mercy on you.

Hardest to easiest games in order are 

I don't want to be that kind of person who correct others, but why you call it "Akuma" when it's clearly "Akumu"? 

And to reply to the topic, I too have to vote for Akumu. I haven't played it yet but it sounds a bit unforgiving with "insta-death" of the tiniest mistake,  Uncharted games were more forgiving than this for sure.

Edited by Kiyan-13
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Don’t want to be that person, but I’d worry more about actually obtaining said trophy before you worry about how it’s spelled.1f60a.png

You could just answer to my question, no need to be sarcastic. 

About Akumu trophy, I'm not really worried at all. I have more demanding trophies than this, it's just a matter of time.

Ive done Akumu 3 times. You have to be careful but you can cheese it. Look up Jigsaw on YT. The man is a god and can do Akumu blindfolded. He has great tips for all things Evil Within, including a straight beginning to end plat run for PS3 and PS4. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Ive done Akumu 3 times. You have to be careful but you can cheese it. Look up Jigsaw on YT. The man is a god and can do Akumu blindfolded. He has great tips for all things Evil Within, including a straight beginning to end plat run for PS3 and PS4. 

I second this. There are literally parts of the game you can glitch though, I still remember firing an RPG at my feet to fall through a locked door in one of the sections - all learned and followed through his youtube channel.

I've done it a long time ago, and perhaps my memory serves me wrong...but outside of a few annoying parts of the game, it wasn't that bad. I do plan to replay it from scratch and get 100%...so I'll see if my brain just decided to conveniently forget about all the struggles.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Will definitely go have a look when it comes to the Akumu playtrough ? Thank you very much!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sydoki said:

I second this. There are literally parts of the game you can glitch though, I still remember firing an RPG at my feet to fall through a locked door in one of the sections - all learned and followed through his youtube channel.

I've done it a long time ago, and perhaps my memory serves me wrong...but outside of a few annoying parts of the game, it wasn't that bad. I do plan to replay it from scratch and get 100%...so I'll see if my brain just decided to conveniently forget about all the struggles.

100 percent. He recently figured out you can skip turning values entirely by reloading your gun right before. It's amazing how much he loves and can take apart the game.

• Like 1

Ok, I haven't got the plat yet, but I've finished the Akumu run.??

What can I say after this, is that IMO; @Burstawesome & @gamercris066 were right this was easier then brutal Uncharted.

but just for one reason, and here is were I have to say THANK YOU to @Startyde! With Jigsaw Killer guide, Akumu is legit a breeze. I died just 50 times more then the survival run. And mostly for traps or silly weird circumstances. This guide makes Akumu feel easier then the first run honest to god. SUPER USEFUL. ?Thanks!

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 3:05 AM, Sk1pper_Oz said:

Ok, I haven't got the plat yet, but I've finished the Akumu run.1f389.png1f389.png

What can I say after this, is that IMO; @Burstawesome & @gamercris066 were right this was easier then brutal Uncharted.

but just for one reason, and here is were I have to say THANK YOU to @Startyde! With Jigsaw Killer guide, Akumu is legit a breeze. I died just 50 times more then the survival run. And mostly for traps or silly weird circumstances. This guide makes Akumu feel easier then the first run honest to god. SUPER USEFUL. 1f44d.pngThanks!

Glad to help. Jigsaw is a legit artist with TEW, you can tell his passion as he works to better himself each and every day years and years later. It's amazing watching him. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Brutal mode has a lot of respawn RNG deaths throughout the trilogy which makes it difficult for the sake of making it difficult. We have the developer to thank for that. EW makes you learn the game in order to progress. 
UC has cheap deaths while EW has frustrating deaths which are more rewarding when you progress. I enjoyed EW more for this reason.
I would say brutal mode is harder only because of respawn deaths if that wasn’t a thing then EW would take the trophy IMO. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brutal was poorly designed and was an unfair challenge across all three Uncharted games. Haven't played The Evil Within so I can't comment on the actual game, but I can imagine Akumu is much more fair and well designed. Not as many bullshit segments when compared to Uncharted, which falls down to pure luck on many occasions.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/06/2022 at 8:07 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Brutal was poorly designed and was an unfair challenge across all three Uncharted games. Haven't played The Evil Within so I can't comment on the actual game, but I can imagine Akumu is much more fair and well designed. Not as many bullshit segments when compared to Uncharted, which falls down to pure luck on many occasions.

Is just as shitty although Brutal mode is more infuriating I think. 

Akumu mode isn't that far behind,  tho, it puts "gotcha" traps in the most cruel places, like for instance there's a moment when you're leaving the sewers, running away from enemies after a stealth section and all of a sudden now there's an invisible (because it's very dark and can't see through sewer water) bear trap underwater in the exit ready to one-shot you. Literally the only way to avoid getting killed there is to crouch and move slowly so you can get the prompt to disarm it as you're being chased. It's super cheap. 

The difference is that Akumu was coded that specific way (I'm not bad,  I'm just coded this way -  TEW) whereas Brutalcharted is a lazy difficulty that was just poorly coded and never tested by Bluepoint.

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

BUMP! ?

Brutal is wayyy harder than Akumu, couldn't complete any Uncharted trilogy game because of that, but I'm fine with being one trophy away from 100% because I'm not very good at shooters to be honest (and never managed to make cheats working ?) and it's just unfair bullshit.

Now I'll explain a bit why Akumu is easier imo, not just because I cleared it.

The most important thing is you can upgrade Sebastian, meaning increasing his running / stamina and also the weapons / ammo stocks. Gathering keys from statues is worth it in this run! And Evil Within has a very useful tool, it's called Agony crossbow!

I won't lie by telling the earlier stages (2+3) can be tricky because you don't have a lot of stuff to help you and have to be careful when dealing with stealth kills, the enemies are more aware and you have to crouch from quite a distance in order to achieve a stealth kill without any other haunted running (yeah, they are damn fast) or throwing stuff at you.
As long as you have an idea where you're going and stay at a safe distance, most enemies can't do anything to you, can't say the same with Uncharted as they all have ... guns ?

One hit death is not a real problem as you have a decent amount of checkpoints. Chapter 6 is obviously the highest hurdle you'll have to conquer on your Akumu run.

Once you're done with the Sentinel, you can take a well-deserved breath, the worst is behind you. I'll just add chapters 11 (construction site) and 12 (ambushed bus with Kidman and Joseph trying to help you shooting foes from above) can be frustrating. Yeah, when Joseph is around, expect shitting on yourself ?

Spoiler

Did you know you can smoke the boss from chapter 14 with only 5 (max level, 200% damage) Magnum bullets? ?
And evade from nearly all those slow (but tough) Alteregos in the same chapter?

Adding beatraps for Sentinel (chapter 6) and Laura's revenge (chapter 10) bossfights was nasty for sure! ?

Overall, I think 9/10 is overrated for Evil Within, maybe it was true when the game released, but you can find several players uploaded their Akumu runs, and one method can be really helpful if you happen to be stuck at one moment. 8 or 8.5 would be more accurate. I died around 250 times and clear time was 18 hours.
I'm actually wondering if Classic mode for second game wouldn't be harder because of no upgrades + very limited saves (7 ?) you are allowed to have. ?

• Like 4