Save corruption on Ironman

AvariceInc

So I got close to restoring the Roman Empire last night but today when I started the game up it just had an error that said "Your save file was removed due to corrupted data." or something similar, don't remember the exact wording. Now my Ironman save I played for all day is just flat out gone. I tested the game a bit on non Ironman before that and those saves are seemingly just fine, just the Ironman save was removed. Just a heads up if any of you are playing this on Ironman, might wanna upload your saves in case the same happens. Anyone else had the same? Don't really feel like starting a new game either until hearing more about that or seeing a patch.

• Like 1

I lost my first ironman save too. But i figured out the problem, somehow ironman saves and the save game auto sync to cloud function (PS+ only) disturb each other and can make the save corrupted.

When the corruption happens the PS5 system deletes the corrupted saves and turns off auto sync function to CK3 and with the sync turned off, the corruption wont happen again, so thats why the other ironman saves are fine after the first.

For new players who start the game, i recommend NOT using Ironman mode until the developers patch the game.

Edited by gabor434
  • Like 3

I take back what i said... my second ironman save game got corrupted again... while auto sync was turned off.
Seems like the problem lies elsewhere and ironman mode should be avoided until they patch it.
Im not gonna risk ironman mode again until the patch, i lost many hours of playtime with these corrupted saves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gabor434 said:

I take back what i said... my second ironman save game got corrupted again... while auto sync was turned off.
Seems like the problem lies elsewhere and ironman mode should be avoided until they patch it.
Im not gonna risk ironman mode again until the patch, i lost many hours of playtime with these corrupted saves.

Aw heck, back to religiously uploading the save after every session then, hope that at least helps against it. Thanks for letting us know. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AvariceInc said:

Aw heck, back to religiously uploading the save after every session then, hope that at least helps against it. Thanks for letting us know. 

From my experience the corruption happens when you quit the game, so if that is indeed case then uploading saves wont help, because you might just upload the corrupted save.
For me both my saves got corrupted when i finished playing for the day and i went for the "save and quit to menu" option, but i played a few sessions before, where i quit the exact same way and there was no problem. When i got to the game main menu the save was gone and when i wanted to close application, the closing screen took a long while and then the system said that there was an error and the save game got corrupted and i should send a report to Sony.
From what i understand, you faced the corruption issue when you started up the game, but that could still mean that the corruption actually happened when you closed it last time.
Do you use the "save and quit" option in game? or just use close application?  (I always went for the save and quit)
It might be possible that just closing the app postpones the discovery of the save corruption until the next game startup.
Anyway i wouldnt recommend playing in ironman mode unless you go for trophies which can be completed in one play session.
I just started a normal game without ironman, because i want to play a long campaign and dont wanna risk losing the save.
If my normal save gets corrupted too somehow, im gonna be really mad!

For me an in game box in the main menu of the game popped up when I started the game up the second time the next day. I'm not sure how I closed the game before it happened to me and I tried a bunch of different ways to trigger the corruption again by just force quitting the game and console etc. to get a screenshot of it for everyone here and mainly to ask them on Twitter but I couldn't get it to corrupt the save again. Started a new playthrough after a few days as I just saw one other guy posting here so I thought it would be rare but kinda scared now, at least managed to get the gold trophy this time. ?

Well that is interesting. The only other thing i can add is that for me the corruption happened after i was playing longer sessions for 3+ hours. It could be just a coincidence tho.

But i can tell you for sure that this issue is not rare, i looked up the paradox CK3 bug report forum today and many PS5 players reported about save game corruption.
I just hope they will fix this soon...

Yeah got the same exact save corruption you described now, lost a lot of gameplay again and I don't really have the energy to give this crap another chance anytime soon.

To anyone that haven't picked the game up yet and is browsing this forum, avoid this game, it's almost unplayable right now. The one feature that should work flawlessly in a game of this type does not work at all. Also the trophies have hidden requirements that the descriptions do not always mention because they are most likely more or less copy pasted from Steam and the one that wrote them for PS5 wanted to keep them short but that's another thing.

• 2 weeks later...

camera got stuck and I couldn't move so I save & exit (only solution in ironman, it did say saving)

Click continue and notice I'm about 10 hours behind.

double check my saves, nowhere to be found.

Close the game to try again, it crashes and gives me the option to load the from online or console storage (both are the same save from 10 hours ago) 

This is so fucking frustrating...

On 4/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, Lonitx said:

camera got stuck and I couldn't move so I save & exit (only solution in ironman, it did say saving)

Click continue and notice I'm about 10 hours behind.

double check my saves, nowhere to be found.

Close the game to try again, it crashes and gives me the option to load the from online or console storage (both are the same save from 10 hours ago) 

This is so fucking frustrating...

I've had that as well. I don't understand why there is no patch yet.

Sorry for the double post, but I just updated the game. It fixed some issues... hut not the save corruption.

I played for 2 hours. Decided to save & exit. I wanted to load the same game right away, it didn't save. I didn't close down the game, I went from my game, saved and exited to the main menu and then pressed continue, which loaded up a non iron man game. It didn't save. And when I shut the game off in frustration, the game crashed. 

Still unplayable!

24 minutes ago, DoodgraverNL said:

Sorry for the double post, but I just updated the game. It fixed some issues... hut not the save corruption.

I played for 2 hours. Decided to save & exit. I wanted to load the same game right away, it didn't save. I didn't close down the game, I went from my game, saved and exited to the main menu and then pressed continue, which loaded up a non iron man game. It didn't save. And when I shut the game off in frustration, the game crashed. 

Still unplayable!

They stated with the patch that they're aware of the issue and aiming to fix it asap. Something to do with the cache. In the meantime, they suggest saving and quitting every 30 minutes or so.

Far from ideal but at least they're working on it. 

9 minutes ago, nickr_ said:

They stated with the patch that they're aware of the issue and aiming to fix it asap. Something to do with the cache. In the meantime, they suggest saving and quitting every 30 minutes or so.

I really want to start this game, have been waiting to play it since it got announced.

But, I'm not going to touch it before I see that 100% completion and platinum for multiple people.?
Once they fix it? Oh, I already know that I'm going to play this stuff for hundreds of hours :D

53 minutes ago, nickr_ said:

But saving and quitting doesn't work though. Because I did save & exit, but it didn't actually save the game. I lost all of it.

On 26/04/2022 at 7:33 PM, DoodgraverNL said:

But saving and quitting doesn't work though. Because I did save & exit, but it didn't actually save the game. I lost all of it.

Exactly, after a while your save simply becomes worthless...

The update didn't do anything to fix it, the changelog is pitiful to say the least, here it is: 

CHANGELOG:
- [Xbox only] Fixed an issue that showed an error message if players attempted to join a multiplayer session with the 'You can join cross-network play' set to 'Block'
- Improved the navigation of UI elements in case there is a missing option. The selection will now move to a valid button.
- The character radial menu can now be opened for unlanded characters, too.

People claim they're "working on it" but at this point, why update at all. It's almost insulting, the game has been out for a month now and instead of fixing the game breaking save corruption bug they move some UI around?

On 28-4-2022 at 0:37 PM, Lonitx said:

Exactly, after a while your save simply becomes worthless...

The update didn't do anything to fix it, the changelog is pitiful to say the least, here it is: 

CHANGELOG:
- [Xbox only] Fixed an issue that showed an error message if players attempted to join a multiplayer session with the 'You can join cross-network play' set to 'Block'
- Improved the navigation of UI elements in case there is a missing option. The selection will now move to a valid button.
- The character radial menu can now be opened for unlanded characters, too.

People claim they're "working on it" but at this point, why update at all. It's almost insulting, the game has been out for a month now and instead of fixing the game breaking save corruption bug they move some UI around?

I posted this message on another thread a couple days ago.

The best way for bugs to get picked up is through their official website and upvoting/responding to already present messages.

For, example... this one for the trophy that is not unlockable

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-achievement-not-unlocking.1519234/

And, this one for the save corruption.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-ck3-playstation-5-save-data-corruption.1519268/

The more people upvote those and "Spam" messages to get their attention, the sooner it gets picked up.

And, people familiar with paradox games, know that stuff like this always happens.

DLC will break former content in someway, achievements/trophies will be glitched, someway.

And, then will keep on happening the entire lifespan of their projects.

(not saying that that is right or good, because it's not. Just saying that... it's to be expected with them)

Edited by JusttJD

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, nickr_ said:

A new patch was released and according to the patch notes on twitter, it should fix random crashes and save corruption on autosaves.

Great to hear! Sure took a while for them though... However on Paradox forums people are saying saves started before the patch are still crashing hard on Xbox so might have to start a new game to have a smooth experience or something. They are also saying the patch broke the "build holding" interface button so I'm not totally sure how well all of this was tested. ?

Doesn't look like they fixed the unobtainable trophy yet either so gonna keep waiting for another update on this game but anyone active in this game please let us know if the save corruption is gone or not!