(Fixed on Apr 12) Cannot install games on PS3 since Apr 1, 2022. Error code: 80029780

ChenZheCHN

Update: Fixed on Apr 12 for both PS3 and PS Vita. Downloading is now working again.

----

Hello everyone.

Just now, I tried to download games using my HK account on PS3, but failed with error code 80029780.

I asked another player who also has an HK account, and he cannot download, either. He told me that he cannot download PS3 games using his HK account since Apr 1, 2022.

My US account and JP account work well, so this might be an issue specific to Asian regions.

V40Pa0j.png

As you can see, I am trying to download BlazBlue: Central Fiction using my HK account. The title of the game is written in Simplified Chinese, so it must be an HK account.

The error message is in Japanese because I set my console’s system language to Japanese, but you can still see the error code 80029780.

It appears shortly after clicking the download button, so I assume there is something wrong with either the DRM server or the activation server.

Edited by ChenZheCHN
  • Like 1

From memory BlazBlue was a PS+ game. Try deactivating your console in the account settings (as primary console) then reactivating.

I have had a couple issues before that seem inconsistent and a re-linking seems to help.

4 minutes ago, RDT1 said:

From memory BlazBlue was a PS+ game. Try deactivating your console in the account settings (as primary console) then reactivating.

I have had a couple issues before that seem inconsistent and a re-linking seems to help.

Yes, it is. But the game my friend was trying to download was Echochrome II, which is not a PS+ game.

I followed your step, deactivated and activated my PS3 again, but it still fails.

8 minutes ago, closertim said:

Happened to the vita awhile ago, should just come right eventually.

Hopefully it will come right. I wrote an email to customer support. Let’s see what will happen.

I tried downloading games from HK store it shows also error code 80029780. I googled the solution for this issue is to deactive your system and active it again.

Don't bother contact HK customer service cuz il will only waste your time.

Edit: i've tried the method above but it didn't work.

Edited by aimeraya

12 minutes ago, aimeraya said:

I tried downloading games from HK store it shows also error code 80029780. I googled the solution for this issue is to deactive your system and active it again.

Don't bother contact HK customer service cuz il will only waste your time.

Edit: i've tried the method above but it didn't work.

It's so sad why they ignore players !!

52 minutes ago, ChenZheCHN said:

Yes, it is. But the game my friend was trying to download was Echochrome II, which is not a PS+ game.

I followed your step, deactivated and activated my PS3 again, but it still fails.

Hopefully it will come right. I wrote an email to customer support. Let’s see what will happen.

Support of PlayStation it's worse support I ever seen!

25 minutes ago, Tiricy said:

It's so sad why they ignore players !!

It's not that surprising, given we're talking about the PS3. A retired 15 year old system.

Try the reverse of whats been said above. Instead of deactivating it as the primary console, make your PS4/5 primary, then switch it back to the PS3. I did this a while back for some Mass Effect patching and it worked fine. Downloaded what I needed, then reactivated my PS4 as primary.

39 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Instead of deactivating it as the primary console, make your PS4/5 primary, then switch it back to the PS3. I did this a while back for some Mass Effect patching and it worked fine. Downloaded what I needed, then reactivated my PS4 as primary.

That's not how account activations work. Pretty sure your issue was unrelated but seemed like you "fixed" it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helyx said:

That's not how account activations work. Pretty sure your issue was unrelated but seemed like you "fixed" it.

?

I'm in the settings on the PS3 right now, I have an option to make it the primary console on my account. Now, will it work these days since it's all tied through the app, that part I don't know. But it solved whatever the issue was at the time, some four years ago.

Edit: Or I could be misunderstanding the root issue.

Edited by Jelly Soup

Oh no, this crap again? Sony, ONE FULL YEAR WITHOUT ISSUES, that's what i'm asking.

1 hour ago, Tiricy said:

And now it's even worse, via email, as they close cases after just one reply, instead of trying to continue communication and troubleshooting.

Edited by Lance_87

1 hour ago, SegaJAM said:

The most frustrating part of this is that HK/Asian regions had this EXACT issue just a few months ago!

Considering that was exactly 6 months ago, maybe they just renewed their certificate for half a year and it expires again on Apr 1 :(

I have the same problem since starting of april with my Singapore accounts. Deactivate from Sony website and activate on PS3 console didn't work for me. I can still download PS+ game but not the game I purchased including some online pass

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tiricy said:

I don't know why PlayStation still ignore PS3 AND PSVITA !! I know it's old ! but still there a lot of players play it in the world.

Yeah, but both are outmoded tech. I'd enjoy more support as well, but they'd, understandably, prefer to focus on current products.

After 3 days, Customer Service (Hong Kong) just replied to me. I am translating it here:

Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support.

We have received your report about PS3 games being not downloadable. We are sorry for replying late.

We are sorry that you cannot download your games. We have recorded the issue and send it to other departments to look into. Please wait before the issue is fixed.

Well, at least they “have recorded the issue and send it to other departments to look into”, which is much better than Customer Service (United States) ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChenZheCHN said:

After 3 days, Customer Service (Hong Kong) just replied to me. I am translating it here:

Well, at least they “have recorded the issue and send it to other departments to look into”, which is much better than Customer Service (United States) ?

Should you do the same for Chinese accounts on Vita? Or is it a connected issue across Asian accounts on old systems?

On 4/7/2022 at 7:25 AM, ChenZheCHN said:

Well, at least they “have recorded the issue and send it to other departments to look into”, which is much better than Customer Service (United States) 1f602.png

Did they fix it?

On 4/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, MaxieM0us3 said:

Should you do the same for Chinese accounts on Vita? Or is it a connected issue across Asian accounts on old systems?

On 4/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Tiricy said:

Did they fix it?

Just gave it a try on Vita using an HK account. No, it is not fixed. Still got NP-9978-3.