Possible PS3 emulation for PS5

Rebourne07

Will PS3 emulation on PS5 become a reality?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will PS3 emulation on PS5 become a reality?

• Yes, soon
    • Yes, eventually
    • No, never

Thoughts on the prospect of PS3 emulation eventually coming to PS5? 

To me it makes sense. Complete the package, remove the need for the less expensive PSPlus Deluxe tier for countries that can't stream. Form the complete PlayStation eco system from the beginning to modern times. Do you guys think it'll happen? If so, how long do you think?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/04/ps3-emulation-allegedly-in-production-for-ps5

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 1

On the current base PS5, no. There's no chance, the system doesn't have the capabilities as countless tech experts have weighed in.

You also have to take a moment to think about the ramifications it would cause. For players that bought a diskless version of the PS5, learning that the disk version would get the ability to play PS3 games would be a real slap in the face.

The most realistic way it is possible is if the mid-generation refresh adds the hardware necessary to run all games. Imagine a PS5 Pro that has the ability to play PS1-5 games but at a much heftier price tag. People would definitely buy it.

I do want to see a console that can just play all of the games, but it's not going to be the base PS5. At least in the sense that you can just put your disk into the system, (PS5 can't even read CDs...).

4 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

it is possible to emulate the ps3 on weaker pcs than the ps5, so I'm sure it's doable. 

Sure, some even reach frame rates in the double digits on hardware at that level!

But that definitely means it's "doable", right?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sure, some even reach frame rates in the double digits on hardware at that level!

But that definitely means it's "doable", right?

I don't know, these look playable to me. pretty sure the build is weaker than the ps5, I had the same graphic card in 2015

2 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

I don't know, these look playable to me. pretty sure the build is weaker than the ps5, I had the same graphic card in 2015

As I said above, about 20-25% of the 3,000+ PS3 games would be able to run without a ton of R&D. That video picked the "Top 150", or 5% and none of them looked to be the well-known AAA games people are going to expect if Sony were to announce PS3 backward compatibility. RCPS3 has a low bar for playable that accepts graphical glitches as long as there aren't game breaking bugs. Sony would never be able to deliver PS3 BC with those low standards.

My thought would be that being able to pop in your existing discs would never be possible. It's more like they curate a library that's made available through PlayStation Plus Premium and THOSE games become downloadable and playable on PS5 through emulation. That'd resolve the issue with discless PS5s and give them control over what games they tackle and which they don't. I'm hopeful it'll happen eventually.

• Like 1

Dreams: Full emulation with your complete library transfer and Store re-opening (on web browser and PS5) within 2 years.
Hopes: Emulation working for the games in Ps Plus Extra Deluxe 3000.
Expectation: Sony saying fuck it and doing the cloud gaming thing globally with some PR stunts.

It would be great to be able to play your PS3 games on PS5 and have everything in one place (well, everything except Vita stuff), but honestly, I doubt that's Sony's number 1 priority. If you want to play PS3 games from your library in the future, I recommend to buy extra PS3, I managed to find a new (!) PS3 imported from Russia/Belarus/Ukraine and luckily their power plug fit EU sockets. After that, about 6 months ago I seen another new one, so they're still out there it seems, just expect to pay about 400 dollars for it since it's so rare. But even used/refurbished consoles should be fine as a backup, just be sure to properly clean it and add thermal paste if you feel up to the task ?

Btw anyone else overwhelmed by the amount of games in your library/account? I don't even aim to Platinum or 100% most of them, but I'd like to play and finish the ones that are worth it and unfortunately, that's still massive number. About 100 games still left on PS3, hundreds of PS4 games, some Vita games from Plus, now PS5 titles started to stack and with extra PS+ collection, which I'll definitely get since I'm a weakling with no self control, we're hitting numbers probably close to THOUSAND GAMES. And the oddest thing is that I don't even spend that much money on videogames, 500 dollars a year on games + services is the absolute most. 

Long story short; the correct answer is 'no, never' at least with the current PS5. This is more a pipe dream than an actual rumor to be honest. 

With them pushing the new streaming service which is including more PS3 titles, I don't see why they'd go out of their way to manufacture a hypothetical PS5 Pro that would have to include the extra hardware in order to play PS3 games properly and to the standard people expect. This would also drive up the cost on a console that will already presumably cost more than the base PS5 model. The question I think Sony is asking themselves is whether or not there is enough demand to warrant doing that. I'm sure they're already looking at the numbers and what kind of games people are streaming on PS Now and I don't think PS3 titles currently on the service are exactly high up on the list. I think for the people that do crave native backwards compatibility especially for the older generation of consoles, it is a big deal, but for the wider, more general, average gamer population, it's not something they care about at all so I don't see Sony prioritizing something like this and they're more just vaguely looking into the possibility if it's something they think will help sell hardware, and ultimately, be profitable for them. 

I think it's important to find a way to preserve the PS3 and older back catalog of games and be able to play them on an all-in-one modern console, that would be the perfect solution, I just don't think it's realistic as it stands now and they're just going to pump as many PS3 games onto PS Now as they can and call it a day on backwards compatibility. 

Edited by mega-tallica

Some people here are blaming Push Square and it’s important to know the true source. Push Square isn't my favorite either, but multiple gaming sites ran this article last Friday so it’s not on them. That would be Jeff Grubb’s show. It’s at the 15:15 mark and he basically says according to people and sources he talked to is they might be working on it and it will take time. Don’t know these guys, it’s vague and a rumor, but it’s still interesting. I wouldn’t completely rule it out, especially while competition is red hot with recent studio acquisitions and subscription plans. Sony would be wise to have a bullet set aside.

“Since talking about this all week, I’ve looked, I’ve asked… it sounds like Sony might be working on emulation for PS3 on PS5,” he said. “It may take some time.

• Like 1

RPCS3 is not quite perfect. Sometimes a game that is running well can have an occasional stutter (shader compilation?), even if your machine is clearly capable.

If the RPCS3 developers can emulate PS3 so well, then Sony should be able to come out ahead of them in compatibility ratio. Hopefully such an emulator might eliminate the slowdowns or framedrops seen in some PS3 games. With emulation's additional overhead, performance should be prioritized over improving the visual quality... this is where I'd settle for 1080p. Frame rate for 30 FPS games should be improved to 60 unless doing so would break the game physics.

Based off Sony's history and being realistic, as they need to make money which comes first and players expectations second.
If Sony actually listened to its fanbase, which they never do, they will continue going down this dark path as they pretty much always have been. I remember MVG said something like they could of if they wanted too but because they can charge more money for lesser things like remasters then its a subsitute, gamers like myself are sick of seeing remakes, remasters of older successful games. Just goes to show originality has long gown down the drain. It is too much of an investment for Sony to focus on emulation for PS3 considering people are still playing the system (like myself).

On 04/04/2022 at 8:38 PM, czDante92 said:

Btw anyone else overwhelmed by the amount of games in your library/account? I don't even aim to Platinum or 100% most of them, but I'd like to play and finish the ones that are worth it and unfortunately, that's still massive number. About 100 games still left on PS3, hundreds of PS4 games, some Vita games from Plus, now PS5 titles started to stack and with extra PS+ collection, which I'll definitely get since I'm a weakling with no self control, we're hitting numbers probably close to THOUSAND GAMES. And the oddest thing is that I don't even spend that much money on videogames, 500 dollars a year on games + services is the absolute most. 

Yes I am.
Imagine if Sony put together a new tier list like $20-30 for just online only (like Nintendo currently does) or online gaming without paying money?! Payment if you wanted digital games with the new tier list you pay for it. As a completitionist I struggle and wish only to pay for digital games and not be in a bloody subscription model, literally everything is subscription models are they blow.

• Like 1

Surely they must be working on a PS3 emulator for PS5. The current method they use to stream PS3 games just isn't sustainable. Eventually, the PS3 farms they have set up are going to break down and need to be repaired/replaced, but as far as I know, the parts they use aren't being made anymore since they're so old. What happens then? They've got to have a solution in place before that becomes a problem. It sounds like they would have to fine tune the emulator for each individual game which is why we're never going to see full backwards compatibility where you can just pop in your old discs. I could absolutely see them hand pick a few titles every couple of months to put on the new "Premium" tier of PlayStation Plus though. Not exactly what I want, but it would be better than what we have now. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 11:38 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Surely they must be working on a PS3 emulator for PS5. The current method they use to stream PS3 games just isn't sustainable. Eventually, the PS3 farms they have set up are going to break down and need to be repaired/replaced, but as far as I know, the parts they use aren't being made anymore since they're so old. What happens then? They've got to have a solution in place before that becomes a problem. It sounds like they would have to fine tune the emulator for each individual game which is why we're never going to see full backwards compatibility where you can just pop in your old discs. I could absolutely see them hand pick a few titles every couple of months to put on the new "Premium" tier of PlayStation Plus though. Not exactly what I want, but it would be better than what we have now. 

I also recalled that’s how they do things. Tbh, I was very surprised Sony didn’t drop PS3 streaming completely with the ‘new’ tiers. Perhaps they are gambling that few people will pay for the top tier and thus fewer PS3 streamers, meaning they can continue to do this a while longer??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sony will not commit to anything that doesn't include profit except for previous PS1/PSP purchases because let's face it, you can emulate these on the XBSX better with Duckstation and PPSSPP. Even the new premium/super prestigious mega chav service has no new PS2 games that would easily be emulated. It's the same line up that abruptly halted it's evolution.

The diskless PS5 owners knew what they had signed up for.

I'll be %100 honest and can't really understand why people are just not using the original PS3 console, they are easy to find and the games are cheap. It also looks fantastic on modern TV's.