Third-party controller for this game - as terrible as I've heard?

In preparations for getting to PS3 version of Phantom Pain I've started Ground Zeroes, but did read about Phantom Pain in the meantime and what I've heard made me really rethink if I should even buy the game. Nothing about the nuke grind or smth like that, but rather how game game plays with a third-party controller. What I've heard is that if you don't have original DualShock 3, you are completely unable to aim down sights or use binoculars and it just happens that I don't have any DS3 in my house and can't really just go ahead and order one. So, is what I heard true? Because if yes, I might abandon my plan on going for plat on this game.

What you are saying is applying to the regular DS4 controller, I had the same thing happen to me, and I assume it also happens to all the off brand PS4 controllers that are compatible with the PS3 just like the DS4 is. But I played with my horipad turbo controller (since all my DS3 are broken in various ways) which can switch from PS4 to PS3 controller mode and I had no issue with it.

So I guess you could take any controller as long as it’s specifically made for PS3.