Can we please get an option to get rid of the "H" for hidden games?

36 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

They are quite different though. Starting over means leaving behind trophies that you had already obtained, some of which might be very hard to get or no longer obtainable. If that's an exchange you're willing to make, that's great. Equating this to hiding your trophies misses the point of this thread. The OP wants his cake and eat it too.

If you hide a trophy list, then you are literally leaving those trophies behind - in the sense that you not only don't get them shown on your profile, or have them count towards your level, but you also cannot earn them again on the same profile. 

Starting over means you are leaving them behind, but there is nothing stopping you re-earning all the ones you know you can get - so I don't really see how one is much different to the other, or how starting over is seen as being so much more "acceptable" on the site.

12 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Right well first of all I've fielded plenty of derision about starting over so let's just be clear about that. And anyway there IS a difference and that is accountability. People like me decided that their accounts weren't working for them and they made what was likely a difficult choice: lose things they cared about and may never get again but gain the ability to make what they want actually happen, or to not do that and deal with the account they have. What the OP and others have suggested is to be able to just pretend like the things they don't like on their accounts don't exist and not even "suffer" the consequence of having a symbol marking their choice. 

Allow that and 100% accounts, which already receive mostly negative attention, will be cheapened unfairly.

So your answer to combat the "derision" you have fielded for having started over - something totally fine, and up to the individual, and nothing at all to be ashamed of - is to yourself deride people who hide trophies, and consider their profiles to be inferior to yours?

I'm literally here arguing for people not feeling ashamed or feeling like they need to hide stuff, but if they do, for everyone else being a bit less judgemental, and a little less eager to assume the worst about each other.

If you have been subjected to unfair derision, I would think you would be on board with that? :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If you hide a trophy list, then you are literally leaving those trophies behind - in the sense that you not only don't get them shown on your profile, or have them count towards your level, but you also cannot earn them again on the same profile. 

Starting over means you are leaving them behind, but there is nothing stopping you re-earning all the ones you know you can get - so I don't really see how one is much different to the other.

But it's not just the action but the intention. You hide a trophy list because you WANT to leave those trophies behind. Maybe you no longer like those games, feel ashamed of them for some reason or, more often than not, they are dragging your percentage down. When you start over you leave those trophies behind not because you want to, but because there is no other way. You're misunderstanding the intention behind both actions. If there was an option to remove a trophy list from your profile without leaving a trace, pretty much no one would create a new profile.

Plus, the "you are literally leaving those trophies behind" is patently untrue, since they can be unhidden at any time. They'll once again be shown on your profile and they'll count towards your level. You cannot merge two separate accounts.

Again, equating both actions ignores both the intention and the penalty.

Edited by Iker_01
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

Plus, the "you are literally leaving those trophies behind" is patently untrue, since they can be unhidden at any time. They'll once again be shown on your profile and they'll count towards your level. You cannot merge two separate accounts.

That’s true - there is a difference there I guess.

I’d still argue it’s not enough to justify one being so much more generally maligned than the other around these parts, but that’s a fair point, well made.

Not gonna lie - it's a massive abuse of privacy for this site to have access to how many trophies you've hidden and it shouldn't be that way. 

In fact, people shouldn't even know you've hidden a trophy. The option becomes useless, obsolete, counterproductive at that point.

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That’s true - there is a difference there I guess.

I’d still argue it’s not enough to justify one being so much more generally maligned than the other around these parts, but that’s a fair point, well made.

I think it is more maligned because of how little it takes, compared to creating a new profile. I'll use myself as an example.

I am having an awful time with Gran Turismo 7. I SUCK at it. I'm stuck on license IA-8 and I'm feeling hopeless. If I started a new account that would mean leaving behind stuff that took a lot of effort, like Dishonored 100% or Vanquish. Worst of all, I'd have to restart FFXIV. That's a massive cost. Sure, I'd leave behind that troublesome trophy list, but along with it a big chunk of effort. It is absolutely not an easy choice to make.

Hiding a trophy list is a minuscule thing. A tiny H next to your profile. Being capable of hiding the H would debase the completionist aspect of trophy hunting.

Edited by Iker_01
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

I think it is more maligned because of how little it takes, compared to creating a new profile. I'll use myself as an example.

I am having an awful time with Gran Turismo 7. I SUCK at it. I'm stuck on license IA-8 and I'm feeling hopeless. If I started a new account that would mean leaving behind stuff that took a lot of effort, like Dishonored 100% or Vanquish. Worst of all, I'd have to restart FFXIV. That's a massive cost. Sure, I'd leave behind that troublesome trophy list, but along with it a big chunk of effort. It is absolutely not an easy choice to make.

Hiding a trophy list is a minuscule thing. A tiny H next to your profile. Being capable of hiding the H would debase the completionist aspect of trophy hunting.

Maybe - though I would argue the more insidious part of that example - and the part that actually debases the hobby - is the very idea that you would feel any need to hide or restart anything, simply because you took a shot at a tough game, and didn’t manage to best it :dunno:

Chasing completion and those sweet S-Ranks is all good fun (I’m big into it myself!), but the idea that simply failing to complete one of the challenges you undertook is somehow ‘shameful’ enough to make you consider hiding any evidence of having attempted it - or even obliterating your whole profile! - is evidence of a seedy toxicity in the air around this hobby that just cannot be healthy ?

We’re all here to have fun, guys!

Telling the tales of that one trophy you just couldn’t get, or that white whale you’ve been chasing for a decade, or that last hurdle you stumbled at? That’s supposed to be part of gaming!

Let me tell you - I’m mighty proud of my profile… 

… but it’s got some stories of failures past plastered all over it! ?

I’m not hiding them - they’re my gaming past, and I’m proud to display those losses right alongside the wins ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I actually agree. In fact, I would go further to say that I think it's a massive abuse of privacy for people to be able to look at your account at all. That privacy is why I signed up for a social hobbyist website like this and haven't hidden my entire profile.

There is a huge difference in what you said and what I said. First, you consent to having the public part of your profile on this website. In the second, no. It's quite simple.

The option to hide trophies exists for a reason, and since third parties violate this privacy, there is absolutely no argument that legitimizes this violation.

No website or people should have access to how many trophies you have hidden.

"Oh, but that would hurt the stats" that's not my problem or anyone else's who decides to hide trophies for whatever reason.

Jesus, please learn to respect the privacy of others, some things don't even need explanation because they should be obvious...

6 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

This logic falls flat for me. You are on a website that is meant to track your PSN profile, which you decide is public or private. If you’re complaining about the ability for other people to see that you have hidden games, delete your profile from this site or switch on over to PSN Trophy Leaders. No one is stopping you. 

You failed miserably in trying to legitimize this site's action in revealing how many hidden trophies someone has, and everything you said adds nothing.

Read my previous post again until you understand the difference between allowing the public part of your profile and not allowing hidden trophies to be revealed.

Your agreeing that hidden trophies can be revealed is essentially an arbitrariness that defeats the original function.

Also, PSN Trophy Leaders also violate this privacy with a yellow mark on your account so you don't know what you're talking about.

1 hour ago, kevao97 said:

There is a huge difference in what you said and what I said. First, you consent to having the public part of your profile on this website. In the second, no. It's quite simple.

The option to hide trophies exists for a reason, and since third parties violate this privacy, there is absolutely no argument that legitimizes this violation.

No website or people should have access to how many trophies you have hidden.

"Oh, but that would hurt the stats" that's not my problem or anyone else's who decides to hide trophies for whatever reason.

Jesus, please learn to respect the privacy of others, some things don't even need explanation because they should be obvious...

I honestly don’t know why you’d consent to having your profile on this website if you obviously don’t consent to some of the terms. 

Look, I get wanting privacy, my PSN profile is very restricted when it comes to who can send me friend requests, I sometimes check the “appear offline” box, and I loathe trophies that require multiplayer (and not just because I think having to pay a subscription to play online on paid games for PS4 is stupid). I will probably never have a gaming headset complete with a microphone for voice chat because I don’t feel comfortable doing voice chat. I’m an introvert and very much prefer to play alone. Playing with other people once in a blue moon can be a nice change of pace, but it’s simply not how I prefer to play most of the time. 

But I don’t think anyone’s privacy is being violated by others being able to see their accurate trophy stats on a site most people willingly signed up for-and can remove themselves from at any time with little headache. 

That being said, I posted in another thread a few days ago that I’m 100% in favor of Sony allowing people to erase games from their profile completely that are not complete and have either:

A)Never been obtainable due to glitchy trophies or

B)Are no longer obtainable due to servers being offline, DLC being delisted, or other issues. 

But if the “H” was removed from this website? Everybody would suddenly have a 100% profile, including myself probably (thanks, OCD)-I’d simply hide games until I got around to getting all the trophies/all trophies I was able to/capable of getting. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

I was merely trying to show the difference between both practices and why one is so maligned. Personally, I haven't hidden my Gran Turismo 7 trophy list just like I haven't hidden any of the games that I've left behind since 2013.

Some people collect platinum trophies, other people play for trophy level, or to obtain difficult trophies. And some others play for trophy completion, which would be diminished if people could just hide their stuff without it being reflected somehow.

That's just ridiculous. You can't call it an abuse of privacy when you WILLINGLY gave access to the website. The only reason why psnprofiles keeps track of your hidden trophies is because they were once shown on your profile, and now they are not. It is as simple as that. There's no hidden backdoor being used to gain access to that information, only stuff that you once showed and then hid.

Jesus Christ nothing you said makes sense lol...

First, "hide trophies" is just about trophies already won, or are you telling me to hide trophies I haven't won yet?

Still, trophies that I have already won and for some personal reason I decided to hide, must be hidden or else the original purpose of the function is simply useless.

Is it hard to understand or do you guys need to come up with long stupid excuses, arbitrariness and things that only make sense in your own head?

15 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Well my apologies for the oversight and ‘failing miserably’. Whether or not PSNProfiles allows people to know the exact amount of trophies hidden on a profile doesn’t make any difference to anyone in the grand scheme of things, and is honestly such a bs thing to complain about. 

This topic wouldn’t even need to be brought up if Sony never gave the option to hide games in the first place. I like the fact that we can know who’s hiding games, despite the reason. 

And I didn’t know that Trophy Leaders also has a way of marking profiles for hidden games. If you really think this is a violation of someone’s privacy, complain to the people who run the sites lol. Such a childish thing to be bothered about. 

You proceed to say this after writing several posts debating about it. Just, wow. lol

If your trophies are not important to anyone but you, the H should also not be important to anyone but you. 

So either your claim is untrue, or you wish to boost your completion artificially whilst not taking responsibility for incomplete games, for whatever reason they are so.

Since the stats reflect the hidden percentage, it is more than fair that fellow hunters see that you wish to hide some of these.

We all (or most) have such games /lists, and you always have the choice to show them or boost your stats in, what I think, is a cheap way.

So sorry for being harsh, but man up, and show it for what it is.

Then again, you don't care as you said, so what does it even matter...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

That's just ridiculous. You can't call it an abuse of privacy when you WILLINGLY gave access to the website. The only reason why psnprofiles keeps track of your hidden trophies is because they were once shown on your profile, and now they are not. It is as simple as that. There's no hidden backdoor being used to gain access to that information, only stuff that you once showed and then hid.

You would think it’s as simple as that, but leave it up to people on PSNProfiles to derail the simplest of topics and turn it into something so deep when it really isn’t. ?

6 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Personally I would love if Sony offered a "Trophy Deletion" service whereby you ask them to delete a game for which you have earned trophies from their server. Since it would involve tinkering with the servers, I'd also imagine this would need to be paid for but I would gladly pay up to 10 bucks a game to have it done. This site would still keep flags applied even if a flagged user deletes the game from their profile.

This is a topic that was brought up the other day, not a good idea. You’d find yourself in a situation where your save data can still linger or be backed up, causing potential timestamp problems in games, making it impossible to detect cheaters. Just not a good idea man, but this is off topic and should be discussed elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

You proceed to say this after writing several posts debating about it. Just, wow. lol

Uhh aren’t you the one writing paragraphs about how this whole ordeal is a violation of one’s privacy? We’re talking about trophies dude. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoorayForTyler said:

This is a topic that was brought up the other day, not a good idea. You’d find yourself in a situation where your save data can still linger or be backed up, causing potential timestamp problems in games, making it impossible to detect cheaters. Just not a good idea man, but this is off topic and should be discussed elsewhere. 

Well wherever it was discussed previously I missed it and it's not entirely off-topic, thank you very much, since it is a possible solution to the OPs problem. Anyone doing that would get rightfully flagged since it is abusing save data to unlock trophies in an unnatural way as outlined in the Leaderboard rules. If that's the only reason that it isn't a good idea in your view then that's your opinion, it probably won't ever happen but whatever.

2 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Uhh aren’t you the one writing paragraphs about how this whole ordeal is a violation of one’s privacy? We’re talking about trophies dude. 

Oh, I thought we were in a proper forum to discuss this stupid trophy stuff haha. just my mistake.

it's just funny how you get into an argument, write a bunch of posts and then "oh my god this is pathetic what these people are talking about why are they wasting time on this?"

16 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

Ok, I'll try to say this in simple terms so that you may understand.

Sony, not psnprofiles, Sony, allows you to hide trophies from your trophy list. Again, Sony, not psnprofiles. Are you with me? Are you sure? Good.

Psnprofiles keeps track of how many trophies you have, based on what is being WILLINGLY shown on your PlayStation account. If you decide to hide trophies on PlayStation account, psnprofiles will now only show the trophies currently shown on your PlayStation account, but since they don't match the number previously recorded, it will show the discrepancy as "Hidden Trophies". You're mixing up the functions of the PlayStation platform with those of psnprofiles. Both are working EXACTLY as intended and I can't believe I wasted my time trying to explain this to you, since I already know it'll be futile and pointless.

I understand your point, but it is wrong.

PSN does not claim that you have hidden trophies. The number of trophies remains the same, but is not shown and highlighted "THIS USER HAS HIDDEN TROPHIES, SEE!"

There is a Brazilian site that just subtracts the amount of hidden trophies, discounting the percentage of score/level and respecting your privacy. That's what I'm talking about.

2 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Oh, I thought we were in a proper forum to discuss this stupid trophy stuff haha. just my mistake.

it's just funny how you get into an argument, write a bunch of posts and then "oh my god this is pathetic what these people are talking about why are they wasting time on this?"

It wasn’t my intention to get into any kind of argument with you, but for some reason you feel the need to be condescending, and not just to me but others here as well. It’s pathetic. But continue to be bothered about PSNProfiles violating people’s privacy I guess. Can’t please ‘em all. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

It wasn’t my intention to get into any kind of argument with you, but for some reason you feel the need to be condescending, and not just to me but others here as well. It’s pathetic. But continue to be bothered about PSNProfiles violating people’s privacy I guess. Can’t please ‘em all. 

You were the one who quoted me and then wrote three paragraphs... but ok...

Edited by kevao97