New Tomb Raider Game Confirmed, Uses Unreal Engine 5 (TBA)

ziggypossum

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the TR reboot trilogy, I liked Rise the most. The pacing seemed better to me than Shadow... I felt that the balance of combat and exploration was at its best.

For Shadow, Crystal Dynamics wasn't the main developer, but rather Eidos Montreal. Something seemed off to me about SoTTR compared to Rise. I never finished it, but maybe I should give it another chance. Anyway, I'm glad CD is back in the lead for the new one.

I'm sure Lara will be in the next game. Well, I'd hope. Changing the Tomb Raider series to another protagonist would be simply wrong.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 9:12 PM, TalalHmd said:

why is that? 

I've yet to play Rise and Shadow 

Rise was a great game, just buggy trophies. Shadow was quite boring, but had missable trophies (though very hard to miss). 2013 would've been perfect if not for the conversations trophy and the pointless multiplayer. 

On 21/04/2022 at 8:25 AM, ArmoredSnowman said:

Rise was a great game, just buggy trophies. Shadow was quite boring, but had missable trophies (though very hard to miss). 2013 would've been perfect if not for the conversations trophy and the pointless multiplayer. 

Spot it about 2013. I only platinum’d it because I had a lot of time in the quarantine days, so I did the online grind while watching movies

whenever I think of starting Rise, I look at the list and get discouraged. Collectibles, time trials, co-ops, etc.. I’m only interested in the campaign 

If it plays like the origins games I'm all for it. But please no clunky controls and gaming style like it did back in the 90s I had so much hatred for how they played I avoided the games until I thought I'd try the new underworld game. Even then I didnt like it much.

Edited by RSmark84

On 4/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, TalalHmd said:

Spot it about 2013. I only platinum’d it because I had a lot of time in the quarantine days, so I did the online grind while watching movies

whenever I think of starting Rise, I look at the list and get discouraged. Collectibles, time trials, co-ops, etc.. I’m only interested in the campaign 

Rise isn't too bad. Just take it one step at a time. The co-op DLC is only really buggy for one specific trophy, but is kinda fun to tag along with a partner. The story for the campaign is pretty intriguing, so definitely give it a go. Of course, Shadow is a shorter game, but has some missables (that you'd have to try really hard to miss).

• Like 1

Shadow is a shorter game ? For what I remember, getting the plat for this game is super long

Spoiler

once you've reached the ancient city.

Story is also super boring, I did not remember a thing. However I agree with you about Rise, the story was super intriguing I really liked it, and the multiplayer was fun.

Square Enix Sells Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, And More, Including Tomb Raider IP, To Embracer Group

Embracer Group has entered into an agreement to acquire Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, and Square Enix Montréal from Square Enix alongside a catalog of intellectual properties that includes Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, and more than 50 others too.

Embracer Group is paying $300 million for these studios and associated IPs and it's doing it on a “cash and debt-free basis, to be paid in full at closing,” according to the company. In total, this acquisition will result in roughly 1100 employees from these three studios, across eight locations around the world, becoming Embracer Group employees. This purchase is expected to close during the second year of Embracer’s 2022-23 financial year, or in other words, sometime between July and September of this year. 

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/05/02/square-enix-sells-crystal-dynamics-eidos-montreal-and-more-including-tomb-raider-ip-to

Deus Ex 5 please!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

Now that is some interesting news, Deus Ex has been left to rot in a corner for too long while they've focused on Marvel games. Hope to see Adam have a comeback rather than it being rebooted again though.

Also excited to see where this takes TR.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Anyone else worried about Embracer either coming out with their own machine or creating exclusivity deals with one of the pre-existing big three?

Make a new console? Hell no. Per game exclusivity? If the paycheck is big enough, why wouldn't they? But given what Embracer's CEO has said before, I don't think so.

• 2 months later...

The next Tomb Raider is being developed under the name Project Jawbreaker.

It will be realistic, with fantasy elements

NEWS: The next TombRaider, as reported by notaxation, is being developed under the name Project Jawbreaker.

It will be realistic, with fantasy elements.

Lara is experienced, and struggles with loneliness.

She will work with a group of fellow raiders, who look up to her.

Casting authentic British VA, 30's, 5'6", athletic

Familial drama left behind

Lara's adventures reached tabloids/ media and inspired a new generation of Tomb Raiders

(edit)

https://twitter.com/MelonieMac/status/1553068338372386816

https://twitter.com/MelonieMac/status/1553068339995492352

https://twitter.com/MelonieMac/status/1553068347557904385

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/wbc9nt/the_next_tomb_raider_is_being_developed_under_the/

On 4/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, Viper said:

Figured this was coming at some point. But I'm wondering if we're finally on Lara's journey as THE Lara Croft or if they're going to try and find some way to say this 4th game is still part of her origin story. 

Unfortunately though, I found Shadow to be mostly boring (loved the first two though). So I'm a little weary about this one. 

I am pretty sure the origin story is done with, they originally announced that it was only going to be a trilogy so I am confused on why they are making more? I have a suspicion it'll be a remake of the first Tomb Raider. I could use another Lara Croft GO though. (I could very well have been wrong, I can't remember where I read this.)

4 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I am pretty sure the origin story is done with, they originally announced that it was only going to be a trilogy so I am confused on why they are making more? I have a suspicion it'll be a remake of the first Tomb Raider. I could use another Lara Croft GO though. (I could very well have been wrong, I can't remember where I read this.)

Yeees. Another Lara Croft GO would be oh so nice.

I was never super into Tomb Raider but I loved the rebooted game but fell off hard wih rise and havent touched shadow.

Im not really sure what happened. I think I just dont like the writing of the games? so IDK if I feel really invested in another TR atm. I do kinda wanna go back and play the orginals. I think being an adult I will appreciate them far more now than as a kid.

• 5 months later...

According to reputable insider Miller Ross:

"Tomb Raider is full steam ahead, Perfect Dark I've heard has hit a roadbump or two. You'll see the former before the latter.

I don't know exactly. Just heard the waters were choppy for Perfect Dark.

Tomb Raider has actually been in development for a lot longer than people know, though it did restart when they shifted from Foundation to UE5. It's been in the cards for a while now.

I would indeed expect at least a year between them." ©

https://www.resetera.com/threads/update-confirmed-game-to-be-delisted-on-september-30th-miller-ross-plans-to-cease-development-on-marvels-avengers-have-accelerated.677893/#post-99987856

https://www.resetera.com/threads/update-confirmed-game-to-be-delisted-on-september-30th-miller-ross-plans-to-cease-development-on-marvels-avengers-have-accelerated.677893/page-3#post-99990616

I guess that the game will be released in 2024, possibly 2025. But who knows.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Tomb Raider website was recently updated where you can now access a new wallpaper/artwork if you're signed in. People are speculating this is Lara's redesign for the next game (similar to her look in the recent Call of Duty content), I've attached it below!

utKYviR.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/utKYviR.jpeg

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

The Tomb Raider website was recently updated where you can now access a new wallpaper/artwork if you're signed in. People are speculating this is Lara's redesign for the next game (similar to her look in the recent Call of Duty content), I've attached it below!

utKYviR.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/utKYviR.jpeg

Nice! Looking more like OG Lara. 

• Like 1