Did nobody tell the devs the secret to success?? (Trophy Thoughts)

Spraragen88

Let's not equate the people who stack Breakthrough games with the (saner) majority who couldn't care less about trophies. Not having a platinum might cut developers off from that sub-strata, but I'd be curious on the actual sales impact it might have in the grand scheme of things. I know the game is in my wishlist for sure!

• Like 1

It feels (purely anecdotally, of course,) like the majority of folks who care about profiles, care about S-Ranks, not platinums. 

Some of the best games out there don't have a platinum associated with them - if they're good, they will still sell well regardless, I'd imagine.

• Like 2

I think the context of the word "Success" is up for interpretation here.

If the developer's only measure of success is number of units sold, then they would just need to sell their game for a dollar with a platinum that can be obtained in minutes. In that case every developer has been incredibly successful who has done so. I'm sure the audience who buys many of those inexpensive, quick games spends lots of time thinking about each of those developers and how successful they are.

If the developers measure of success is putting out a great game that they feel proud of and fans appreciate and respond to, even if they don't move as many units, then they can be incredibly successful as well.

Saying developers aren't successful if they don't compromise their vision and cater to a group of people who generally don't seem like the audience they're seeking is a bit misguided.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Some of the best games out there don't have a platinum associated with them - if they're good, they will still sell well regardless, I'd imagine.

For example, Firewatch, What Remains Of Edith Finch, Brothers, Journey, the list just goes on. Heck I'll add the Laid-Back Camp games just because they're super chill and relaxed. 

• Like 4

Trophies are becoming a joke at this point due to the influx of games with little thought put into them being put on the PS Store. For every gem that releases there are a bunch of stinkers. That's how it always been.

Also with Sony's stance on indie games, developers are going to Nintendo and Steam to release their titles. Personally I would love to have Rogue Legacy 2 get released on PlayStation, but that is probably wistful thinking.

At least Axiom Verge 2 is on PlayStation. One indie gem that got buried in the endless sea of shovelware crap and games made solely for a quick buck.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It feels (purely anecdotally, of course,) like the majority of folks who care about profiles, care about S-Ranks, not platinums. 

Agreed, S-Rank whenever possible. A rank acceptable if there's just some trophies I really cannot bother to give anymore of my time to (Damn you final Arkham Knight DLC Pack!!!), or DLC came out I didn't get to yet. B or less I either didn't enjoy it, didn't have the friends to complete it, or the servers are offline.

For me:

Completion doesn't = Platinum

Completion does = Percentage

I've played some amazing non platinum games, and I know I'll play more. Hell this game might be one of them now that this thread brought my attention to it.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 2