Super Bullet Break (anime-style roguelite deckbuilder) coming to PS4

Undead Wolf

hOsKcfn.jpg

The publisher PQube and its developer BeXide have announced Super Bullet Break, an anime-style roguelite deckbuilder, for PS4, Switch, and PC. It will launch both physically and digitally in the summer of this year. You can pre-order the Day One Edition from Funstock.

Description from the Steam page:

ABOUT THIS GAME

Header_3.png?t=1649343172

Super Bullet Break is a one-of-a-kind strategy deck builder inspired by your favourite gacha games. Filled with a wild bunch of cute and colourful characters – ‘Bullets’ – each and every one of them unique in their own way. Rescue the online game world from total destruction in Super Bullet Break, where online multiplayer games have been taken over by a rogue AI! Can you save the world, defeat enemies in strategic turn-based battles and beat Super Bullet Break?
1_take_2.png?t=1649343172

No two girls are alike! Get to know the Bullets you collect along the way, all of them featuring original artwork and character designs, and build the perfect team. Gather a wide variety of items and bullets to make them work together to your advantage! From Common to Legendary, Active to Passive, each item will be useful to you in its own way.
3_Play_as_2.png?t=1649343172
Play as either Akari, Hikaru, or Sumire! Each of them comes with different features and may be of advantage to you depending on your playstyle. Do you prefer a stable playstyle or defeating your enemies with technical combos? Super Bullet Break has a character for everyone.
5_Maps_2.png?t=1649343172
From Seasons of Love to The Aquarhythm Deep and Phoenix Gunner, each of the 7 game maps has been inspired by classic game genres, from dating sims to rhythm games and dungeon crawlers.
6_Gacha_2.png?t=1649343172

Super Bullet Break is inspired by classic gacha games but takes the microtransactions out of it! Purchase items in the shop with in-game currency, receive them as a battle reward, or find them in the treasure chests scattered around the map to improve your deck! Super Bullet Break is all about strategy after all … and a little bit of luck. With your character determining your starting deck, it's now up to you to take the risk to swap cartridges, find items, and scout Bullets - a deck builder with a twist, if you will. Improve your strategy with every replay!

I recently got into Slay the Spire and have really enjoyed my time with it. Definitely interested in trying out more deckbuilding games now, and this one looks right up my alley with the anime-style artwork. It looks great!

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Game is out, though if you want it physical there will be some more waiting time. I think it plays pretty good and people should give it a look. No platinum which is disappointing but people shouldn't let that stop them getting something.

I'm usually quite selective when it comes to deck building games. It doesn't seem like the game has much story? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the gameplay is enjoyable enough to make up for it. How've you been finding it so far? There doesn't seem to be a ton of reviews currently aside from those on Steam.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

I'm usually quite selective when it comes to deck building games. It doesn't seem like the game has much story? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the gameplay is enjoyable enough to make up for it. How've you been finding it so far? There doesn't seem to be a ton of reviews currently aside from those on Steam.

There are dialogue scenes represented as text messages in-between stages. Each stage has a scene at the start and at every boss (3 on each level). I'm not an expert on deck building games but I've been having fun with it. The 3 characters (not yet played as the third one) each have their own starter decks and from there you build your deck, getting bullets by winning fights, from events, chests, or by scouting. Not all bullets are available straight away as some are unlocked by beating the stages (story bosses) or by simply completing a run (if you succeed or not). Some bullets are also exclusive to certain characters.

5 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Looks promising. The artwork is adorable, and the game has been out a couple of days now without any one hour completions showing up, so I have to assume that PQube did some justice to the trophy list.

I'd say it has charm to it yeah. As for trophies it has two collection based trophies. One for getting all the bullets (the characters) and another for cartridges (gear). Due to scouting the characters are actually not a problem as long as you know what the traits for what you're missing are, which can be solved with a guide (I'll be working on one). For gear there is no scouting but there is a tile that allows you to reroll your gear.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

There are dialogue scenes represented as text messages in-between stages. Each stage has a scene at the start and at every boss (3 on each level). I'm not an expert on deck building games but I've been having fun with it. The 3 characters (not yet played as the third one) each have their own starter decks and from there you build your deck, getting bullets by winning fights, from events, chests, or by scouting. Not all bullets are available straight away as some are unlocked by beating the stages (story bosses) or by simply completing a run (if you succeed or not). Some bullets are also exclusive to certain characters.

Thanks for the response.

Given the game is a roguelike, I assume you lose any bullets you obtain during a run if you fail it(?), but do you lose anything else?

I'm honestly not an expert on deck building games either, the only games I've played in the genre that come to mind for me right now are Mega Man Battle Network games (which I thoroughly enjoyed), if those even count.

On 15/08/2022 at 1:58 AM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Thanks for the response.

Given the game is a roguelike, I assume you lose any bullets you obtain during a run if you fail it(?), but do you lose anything else?

I'm honestly not an expert on deck building games either, the only games I've played in the genre that come to mind for me right now are Mega Man Battle Network games (which I thoroughly enjoyed), if those even count.

If you fail a run then yeah, you'll be back to the base deck when you redo it. Anything you do get is added to the collection though. Each run failed or successful will unlock characters/gear. You could just start, quit, start, quit, and unlock a lot of new stuff (oh, and stuff that gets unlocked is instantly added to your database so need to hunt them down for the trophy afterwards) which likely should make it easier. I'd just do runs without bothering with that. From what I've seen due to event/chest/shop/rest tiles being plentiful and there being no XP system that requires you to do battles, once you're good with your deck you can very quickly get to the boss fights.

• Like 1