18/30 ron or tsumo on mahjong....!!!

ShariusTC

... ffs, this is the only completion left on my list, trying to play in easiest table a whole afternoon and didn't get once ron or tsumo, either running out of tile when i waiting for one or being beat by computer

i swear that mahjong in this series make me hate mahjong, don't wvwn want to touch that mahjong game in FF14 since the day they update it

It isn't really difficult, save before you play, if the RNG isn't in your favour, then restart and try again. 

If you're just looking at ron or tsumo completion, I find the easiest way is to get a pon of dragons (either Red, White or Green) which gives you a scoring hand and then just pon and chi until you win. I also recall getting few 7 pairs in Kiwami 2. 

Just have to keep at it and/or alter your strategy if it isn't working.

Maybe read the below for some additional tips 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/218734-yakuza-kiwami-2/faqs/76366/mahjong

Edited by Artty44

Mahjong is pretty streaky in much of the series.  Seems you either run the table or are getting your ass kicked the whole time.  When I ran into a bad streak of RNG, I would change the rules up.  Turn kuitan off / turn on 2 han minimum or vice versa.  If it didn't help, then I would leave and do another activity (arcade, batting cage, darts,) and then come back to see if the RNG was any better.  Worked sometimes.  Good luck with finishing it.

21 hours ago, kinnyman said:

Mahjong is pretty streaky in much of the series.  Seems you either run the table or are getting your ass kicked the whole time.  When I ran into a bad streak of RNG, I would change the rules up.  Turn kuitan off / turn on 2 han minimum or vice versa.  If it didn't help, then I would leave and do another activity (arcade, batting cage, darts,) and then come back to see if the RNG was any better.  Worked sometimes.  Good luck with finishing it.

there is no other activity to do for me, this is the last one

well end up just brute force my way through it, just start the game, if i ddin't have good hand i just quit and repeate, it's not like money a problem for me at that point

• 2 weeks later...

Easiest way to achieve this is going for easy hands. Usually, a triplet + 3 sequences + pair or 2 triplets + 2 sequences + pair will do the job. Don't bother much with the scores, you only need to win, so chi/pon if you don't get the tiles you need. Also, it depends of your starting hand. If you start with several pairs, it worth to give a try to go for 7 pairs or 4 triplets + pair (pon all you can for this last one). Ignore to go for Kans (4 same tiles), usually it fucks up the easiest hands forcing you to go for more complicated ones, making ron/tsumo much harder.

If you can't be bothered learning the game better and getting better strategies (like me), you can just brute force your way through it as long as you understand the basic hands and going for those basic hands (triples and pairs). Focus on getting triples and pairs and you'll naturally get ron or tsumo over time. It may take hours as you do pretty much have to get lucky if this is the route you're going with but you will get it eventually. It just takes time. Sometimes I found myself going a whole hour without getting ron or tsumo once in that time and then getting a streak of 3 in a row and dominating the table. It all depends on the RNG if you're going to brute force it like this. It is not something that can be rushed. 

And don't necessarily stick to the beginner table, I found the intermediate table is easier to get ron or tsumo on for some reason. The AI tends to go for more complicated, higher points hands and keep the game going longer which ups your odds of stealing a ron or tsumo. 

This is technically the third game in the Kiryu saga in the Yakuza franchise is we are to look at the games chronologically. Yakuza 0 is often considered the first, and Yakuza 6 concludes the Kiryu story.

As with any gambling game in Yakuza, there's a lot of luck involved in Mahjong. I suggest you guys actually get the objectives in Mahjong out of the way first because I consider it to have the steeping learning curve out of all the gambling games. I wasn't too familar with Koi Koi and the other Asian gambling games but they didn't take me as long to learn. Shogi can be tough as well, as I see it as the Asian version of Chess.

There is a certain substory where you have to rescue someone by playing Mahjong and you're basically at a big disadvantage at the start, so getting high scores does matter. But for the most part, I wouldn't worry too much about getting high scores as you basically need to win given you have a hand that enables you to.

It took me several hours to learn Mahjong in Yakuza 0, but I'm at the point now that despite the fact I lose most games, I'm actually enjoying it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

To maximize your winning chances:

- Play only on easy table - Kamurocho. It's the fastest way to win one round.

- At this point you should have LOADS of money from Cabaret Club and Majima Construction, so don't bother with saving and loading (it takes time), but check if you can win with your hand, and if not -> exit and rejoin. One game costs 12.500 Yen, it shouldn't be a problem even if you had to restart hundreds of times.

- Save when you win. You never know what can happen next

- Use half game rule, turn on Kuitan and Dora. It can help you win (+ Dora may give you more points)

That's pretty much it. If you can play mahjong at beginner level, it will just take some time to get 30 wins. Today I've finished everything besides mahjong on my Completion List. Having 30 Rons/Tsumos will be time consuming, but it's doable.

Good luck :)