Kingdom Hearts IV

Abby_TheLastofUs

Plot twist: it's called IV because the series has grown so feeble and anemic it's basically on a drip feed at this point. I have no interest in Nomura's Lemmiwinksian journey into his own self-indulgent generic animu passages.

Just make it a quick and doable platinum so I can get it over with and go back to Kingdom Hearts games that are actually good.

• Like 1

should be current gen only. idc about availability issues for others.

But this was expected, more confusing stuff. I'll buy day 1. I just wish they'd get rid of Sora

As for release, hopefully 2 years tops. Kind of tired of devs showing a game 6-10yrs early.

Edited by Infected Elite

46 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I'm seeing a bunch of people call KH's story a "mess," it's only really messy to explain to someone else. When you play the games, it usually tells you everything for three times longer than in needs to, and while you're playing you generally do understand everything the game says. Some of the only points where it can get confusing is when the story's been deliberately concealing information for the sake of twists later on and expected you to remember some information from a decent while before.  

Hi, Kingdom Hearts fan here who has played all the games and completely understands the story. The story IS a mess. 3D made the whole thing unnecessarily conviluted with its complex time travel. Any time something doesn't make sense the game just says "because time travel" and then you just have to think about it hard enough until it makes sense. Kingdom Hearts has some amazing emotional story moments, and it IS understandable if you put the work into understanding it, but it is undoubtedly a mess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZOMBIESLAVES said:

Hi, Kingdom Hearts fan here who has played all the games and completely understands the story. The story IS a mess. 3D made the whole thing unnecessarily conviluted with its complex time travel. Any time something doesn't make sense the game just says "because time travel" and then you just have to think about it hard enough until it makes sense. Kingdom Hearts has some amazing emotional story moments, and it IS understandable if you put the work into understanding it, but it is undoubtedly a mess.

The time travel in kingdom hearts isn't that complex, it's the fairly popular rule of a "time travel always happened when it happened" the "Bootstrap Paradox" allow me to give an example from Dr Who so I don't mention spoilers for anyone reading this thread:

Imagine you a a massive fan of Beethoven, so much so that you've memorised all his compositions, you decide to time travel to meet him and get his signature on copies of all his works. You arrive to late 1700s Germany, but no one has heard of Beethoven, not his family, not his music. You believe that the world needs his music even if he doesn't appear to exist, so you decide to publish it. One by one, in the order that it was meant to be published, towards 1800 you realise that you're going deaf and their was always a Beethoven, it was you, and you would always travel back in time to release that music.

Now the paradox comes in with the question: "Who actually wrote the music?" it has no original author. Much like how Xehonort's plan on how he would assemble the 13 darkness never had a complete origin, Xehanort copied the plan from how he remembered it when he was Young Xehenort. (The paradox is more of an aside because it's my favourite kind of time travel story and is the usual baggage that comes with the Time travel style that KH does, even if it's not really a 100% match)

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The two things that have kept me away from Kingdom Hearts all this time are the total chaos of all the Kingdom Hearts titles and a lack of clarity on order someone new should play them in. 

And the KH zealots. In-person Kingdom Hearts zealots are the worst. 

Seems like someone new shouldn’t just play I, II, III, and then play IV when it comes out?

As a longtime Kingdom Hearts fan I can confirm the story is all over the freaking place lmao, but really the way I recommend playing it is just playing I, II, III, & IV. The main games in the series. There will be some gaps you may or may not notice, or care about, but that can quicky be filled in by an internet search or a quick video of what happened between two games if it even matters to you (it probably won't to most). If you wanted to play more you could play Birth by Sleep as that's fun too, but not required.

Mainly I would say to just play the main games, have fun, and enjoy the gameplay!

• Like 2

As much as it pains me to say it, being a fan of the franchise for almost two decades; I think I'm going to jump off the Kingdom Hearts train now.

The gameplay has consistently become worse ever since hitting the peak in KH2. It prioritizes spectacle rather than actual thought out combat. Well-balanced combat challenges can only come so far apparently. What is more important is to make the screen flash fun colours all the time, and to fill out the combat with pointless minigames that don't add anything substantial to the base gameplay loop. 

The story is a mess, but worse than that Nomura seems incapable of giving it any sort of closure, keeping the series in absolute perpetuity by never letting things fully return to a form of status quo, leaving every single ending unsatisfying. 

Even as we embark on this new arc, we have a lot of unexplained baggage and recapping from the previous games, which is going to probably take up most of the first half of KH4 together with pointless Disney worlds that are paradoxically both the bread and butter of the franchise and complete filler at the same time. The final half of the game is going to be setup for the next game. Continue this loop of KH games until the Big Freeze claims us all. It's all setup, no real payoff. 

A lot of this is probably also just due to me getting older and the world getting worse. Disney is no longer a magical place, but a world-conquering money-hogging entity, sucking the soul out of everything they touch, and it is most likely impacting the story that could be told here. KH used to be a fairly magical franchise, but the mask is slipping. I guess, I just don't want to be there when it finally falls off revealing Bob Chapek knee deep in blood soaked money and Nomura making out with his own butt. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arcanehornet_ said:

I’ve wanted to try this series for years, but it seems like I’d have to spend an enormous amount of energy to attempt to understand what was happening in them. I wish the series was a little more accessible. 

It's not very hard, you can watch the cut scenes in YouTube ( Everglow has done a excellent work putting everything in chronological order) or in KH wiki

• Like 1

I’m really excited for this. Not so much for the mobile game as I don’t play those. Final fantasy sora looks weird. It would be fantastic if it was just a final fantasy game. I prefer the Disney World and the Disney look. I’m trying to figure out how they would get goofy and Donald to look like Final Fantasy characters in real life. Also, I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t announce a collection of all the previous games for the  PS5. I’d buy that instantly 

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

As a longtime Kingdom Hearts fan I can confirm the story is all over the freaking place lmao, but really the way I recommend playing it is just playing I, II, III, & IV. The main games in the series. There will be some gaps you may or may not notice, or care about, but that can quicky be filled in by an internet search or a quick video of what happened between two games if it even matters to you (it probably won't to most). If you wanted to play more you could play Birth by Sleep as that's fun too, but not required.

Mainly I would say to just play the main games, have fun, and enjoy the gameplay!

1) That's is where the confusion come from. Many treat 1,2,3 as main games and everything else as a spin off you can ignore.

2)KH 4 is built upon the narrative of Unchained X and Back Cover, which the first is a mobile game and the second is a movie from the Foretellers perspective of the event that lead to Keyblade War.

3) Chains of Memories and 358/2 are very important if you want to understand KH2 heck even Coded as now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

The time travel in kingdom hearts isn't that complex, it's the fairly popular rule of a "time travel always happened when it happened" the "Bootstrap Paradox"

You did a great job explaining it here and like I said earlier, the KH story is by no means impossible to understand. However, we have to remember that we're both veterans of the series who have already taken the time to understand it. For a newcomer it's all a lot more daunting, especially with so many moving parts such as how multiple characters jump through time. Really, I think we're both in agreement and we just have different definitions of what makes a story 'messy'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ASMODAIOS344 said:

1) That's is where the confusion come from. Many treat 1,2,3 as main games and everything else as a spin off you can ignore.

2)KH 4 is built upon the narrative of Unchained X and Back Cover, which the first is a mobile game and the second is a movie from the Foretellers perspective of the event that lead to Keyblade War.

3) Chains of Memories and 358/2 are very important if you want to understand KH2 heck even Coded as now.

The funny thing is I've never played any of those (besides the 358/2 & Coded videos on the remasters), lol - I've mainly played the games that have gameplay similar to the main numbered titles such as Birth by Sleep and didn't ever really delve into the card games or the mobile games because the gameplay never interested me. I just filled in the missing information from not playing those games with some recaps on YouTube and such, and it was fine for me :dunno: I get what you mean, but still think it's totally doable for the average person to enjoy the games by playing just the main entries. I don't want to discount that you'd definitely be missing things, but eh, it's fine lol

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Boy this is really the worst advice you could possibly give someone 

• Like 1