Sony invests 1 billion into Epic Games Metaverse Development

You

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but...It kinda feels like a bit too early for an April Fool's joke.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/04/11/sony-invests-1-billion-into-epic-games-metaverse-development

Well, I guess we now know where all our PS+ subscription funds are going...

If Sony has that much money to burn or just throw about. I'd rather have a Playstation Plus Lite which only has online play and cloud saves.

I'd happily give away my "free" games in exchange for a cheaper subscription. Especially if doing so gives Sony less money and stops them making bat shit crazy business decisions like this.

• Like 2

Possibly controversial opinion, I'm interested in seeing where this will go. VR is getting better and better with each iteration and this Metaverse thing has the potential to be something uniquely special.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jgm4789 said:

I really hope this is more on the line of sony creating say making a better version of PlayStation home and not wasting money on facebooks metaverse(which honestly, facebook is the last company i want to be sucessful if this whole metaverse thing takes off) because i dont want anything to do with that awful company.

Agreed there. Fuck Facebook. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

VR development is cool, but anything metaverse immediately makes me suspicious as that term tends to correlate to NFTs and similar bullshit.

The abiltity to have real ownership of digital items which means being able to re-sell items as you see fit. Maybe even use digital items between various games/metaverses. 

Such "bullshit"

Facebook deserves to die a painful death. I blame Mark Zuckerberg for starting a lot of shit. You guys already know the story.

4 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

I am getting pretty tired of gaming companies grand claims about anything bigger, better, newer, I'd be in favor of them getting their shit together first and relearn what they already knew during the PS2 era, that not every game needs to be a massive franchise, or a new genre flagship challenging the current mountain top, and that releasing a finished experience should come first before all the extra garbage that is designed to take more money out of you. I miss big companies reliably releasing finished, polished and well crafted middle shelve experiences, ones that make you glad and excited whenever they end up releasing expansions to them months later.

Not going to happen sadly. All of the old innovators and creators that were around during the PS1/PS2 generations have pretty much retired or moved on to do other things. While there is still a lot of gamers much older than myself, it's probably safe to say we're NOT the target audience anymore.

The casuals and the kids growing up today make far more bank for these companies than us hardcore gamers do.

It's sad that games like A Bard's Tale, Splatterhouse for the PS3, Dead Space 3, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear Solid 2, Kingdoms of Amalar, Dante's Inferno, etc etc I look forward to playing more than any big budget modern AAA game. Just about all these games are at least a decade old, and yet, they look far more interesting and original.

• Like 3

Just now, Xillynoc said:

$1 billion for the Metaverse but no PS4/5 ports of inFAMOUS 1/2/Festival of Blood almost a decade after the launch of the PS4. What the fuck, guys? This is the shit you wanna put resources into?

I mostly feel this contributes to the constant remake/remaster trend that's basically gone mainstream these past few years. Those games would be nice, but I honestly would like to see some actual PS2 games and games from the 2005 - 2007 era get a much deserved remaster.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction would be good, along with Resistance: Fall of Man. Then there's the vast library of PS2 era games that could use a much needed re-release.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It's sad that games like A Bard's Tale, Splatterhouse for the PS3, Dead Space 3, Dragon's Dogma, Metal Gear Solid 2, Kingdoms of Amalar, Dante's Inferno, etc etc I look forward to playing more than any big budget modern AAA game. Just about all these games are at least a decade old, and yet, they look far more interesting and original.

I get what you're saying (don't agree, but get the gist).... but by-the-by, Dante's Inferno seems a really weird example to include on that list....

It's a shameless God of War clone, laid over a brainless Dude-Bro's interpretation of a book written in the year 1320... 

...so about as "original" as an Ikea bookshelf. ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

$1 billion for the Metaverse but no PS4/5 ports of inFAMOUS 1/2/Festival of Blood almost a decade after the launch of the PS4. What the fuck, guys? This is the shit you wanna put resources into?

They could have given a couple of million to Shenmue III after they announced it live on their stage. It might have been less shit (might)

They could have not shut down the Team Asobi the team that made the best VR game ever made and arguably one of the best exclusives on PS5, the tech demo game that came free with the PS5. I mean it's not a million, it's a BILLION! So much could have been done with that money... Unfortunately Sony gets shit loads of money from Fortnite now. So it's in their interests to keep in Epics pockets.

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I get what you're saying (don't agree, but get the gist).... but by-the-by, Dante's Inferno seems a really weird example to include on that list....

It's a shameless God of War clone, laid over a brainless Dude-Bro's interpretation of a book written in the year 1320... 

...so about as "original" as an Ikea bookshelf. 1f602.png

That's true, and while EA had their hands in it, I wouldn't call it outright shameless. Obviously, it was done on a much lower budget than say God of War 3, since the game borrows heavily from God of War 1 & 2.

The Bard's Tale (2004) was a spoof on old PC role playing games like Baldur's Gate. Splatterhouse was poorly received and is now a rare game that gaming collectors try to seek. Only two or three games I listed are actually good. Dragon's Dogma, if I ever cut my backlog down a bit and have the time, would be a game I want to play.

Edited by AJ_Radio

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

A Bard's Tale was a satire on old PC role playing games like Baldur's Gate. Splatterhouse was poorly received and is now a rare game that gaming collectors try to seek. Only two or three games I listed are actually good. Dragon's Dogma, if I ever cut my backlog down a bit and have the time, would be a game I want to play.

True - Dragon's Dogma isn't one that really hooked me when I played it - but it certainly takes some swings, and it is nothing if not original.

We've done this before, and you know my stance - I disagree that originality died out - I think there is as much, if not more, originality in the current indie scene than there ever was in the big games of the PS1 / PS2 era - but I still get your point....

....it was just the Dante's Inferno example that stuck out, because trust me - I played that one... and that game is practically an antonym for the word "Original" ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

True - Dragon's Dogma isn't one that really hooked me when I played it - but it certainly takes some swings, and it is nothing if not original.

We've done this before, and you know my stance - I disagree that originality died out - I think there is as much, if not more, originality in the current indie scene than there ever was in the big games of the PS1 / PS2 era - but I still get your point....

....it was just the Dante's Inferno example that stuck out, because trust me - I played that one... and that game is practically an antonym for the word "Original" 1f602.png

I never said originality died out completely. It's that the big companies aren't putting out original content anymore. Even Elden Ring, as great as it looks and as fun as it looks to play, basically borrow the blueprint of the original Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, from 2009 and 2011 respectively.

If you followed me long enough then you will know that I tend to be very inconsistent and play in spurts. I just don't have the time to dedicate a number of hours every single day to a game anymore. Even Yakuza 0, which I basically no lifed, I basically couldn't play for a couple days here and there because of life commitments.

I can't trust Sony to provide all too original content anymore. I've been thinking of getting Cuphead on Steam, and there is more originality there than any of the first party Sony games from the past five years. Even if the game was heavily inspired by old 1930s Disney and Warner Bros cartoons.

Indies in general I wanted to think of as side dishes such as potatoes and green beans, while the main course were the big budget games that served you the nice hot steak. Elden Ring was that particular hot steak for many, but there shouldn't just be one good bigger budget game every now and then. They have to be consistent, and AAA companies have failed to be consistently good since the early - mid PS3 era.