I can only advise to not go (full) digital.

LoveInHell

I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I will say that the ability to own a game physically was important to me…right until it wasn’t. I now have a vast physical collection of ps1, ps2 and PS3 games that take up space in my closet. Sone I could for a decent amount, but it’s hardly worth my effort now. I think the ability to sell games is vastly overrated, particularly since I buy most of mine for $10 or less.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

No thanks.

I don’t want clutter in my house, I want the convenience of getting games as soon as I feel like playing them, and, personally, I don’t like the whole concept of the second-hand market, as it denies the people who make the games any of the profits from the purchase of them.

• Like 2

No thank you, I live in a small town and ordering games would take forever plus I don't have the mind set "gotta be physical to own" been in it for almost 10 years across platforms and have 0 desire to go back to physical, it's only nice for the collection kinda thing,which is entirely personal, it sounds more like you have a problem with your 350 uplayed games than with the whole digital thing, it was more of a rant than an advice tbh and telling others not to do something based on a personal opinion is bit condescending.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2

I’m also a converted digital-to-physical. I don’t trust these companies to keep your licenses in perpetuity, but you can still play games from 40 years ago if you have the cartridge.

No matter how people feel, NFTs are the way to selling digital games and having “limited runs” so they can be rare. Gamers are anti-NFTs for some reason though, so that might take a while.

• Like 2

I hear you, and I pretty much only buy digital: 

1)If that’s the only way to get a game (and even then I wait for the discount to get as low as it has been-checking PS prices) and I usually pay around $5 or less, with almost no exceptions, I don’t spend over $25 on a digital game. 

Or 

2)The game is hard to obtain physically (only available in other regions/limited run/ridiculously expensive-often a combination of the three) and even then I wait for a deep discount on the digital version (usually under $10). 

About having little intrest in gaming, I’ll say this. I personally go through phases. Sometimes I won’t touch games for several months because I’m binging a tv show, listening to albums on repeat, reading a book series, practicing an instrument or singing, etc. And before I got into trophy hunting a couple years ago, my gaming was spread out equally between about 10 different platforms. Even now, I don’t exclusively play PS3/PS4-though I play them more frequently than I did. 

But i I completely agree about selling digital games, there needs to be a way to do it. I’ve bought many digital games I thought I would like and ended up loathing them-forgetting them completely or (if PS3 or PS4) suffering through until I got the platinum/100% and then promptly uninstalling them, never to be touched again. Hell, this could also present a way for people who really wanted some delisted games/DLC (I’m one of those people) to get them. Can only hope some consumer rights lobbyists do something about this in the future, (and also apply it to digital movies and books-maybe not music because burning a cd is super easy) because it really should be allowed IMO. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

I'm all about physical.  When given the choice, I'll picked physical 9 out of 10 times.  The only time is if there's only a physical limited edition that's like 30 more dollars and I'm like eh to the stuff.  I don't care about selling.  There's so many PS1/2/Gamecube games I used to own, but sold them and want to go back to.

Hey,Sega, can we get Skies of Arcadia on current gen?

Edited by Ilzakia

I'll never go fully digital as long as physical is an option, buying and reselling games has saved me a ton of money over the years.

Also hate the idea of being trapped into only having one market to buy your games from, look at how long it takes for some games to hit a good price on the ps store compared to the amount of deals available physically

• Like 2

A lot of times indie games, or small games in general either have no physical release available, or they're weirdly expensive due to how unpopular they are. They also go on digital sale often. I usually go for physical copies with the bigger titles. In general, if I can get a game digitally for similar or slightly more money that I would lose on buying/playing/reselling a physical copy, I go with digital for convenience. If a digital copy is $30 (not a launch-day-buyer) and I can play it for $5 by buying and reselling physical... I can live with putting a disc in the console, and putting a box in an envelope when I'm done. 

Oh yeah, and strategy games - it's a bitch to resell console versions of them, so here I'm a bit more flexible. But that's just me. Price to performance in every way. 

Smaller, indie, crappy or "hey look, cheap trophies" games... I just look what's on digital sales and get what seems interesting in one way or another. 

I know that I prefer physical for... so many reasons (cheaper at launch and often at the end too, actually keepable if you get banned for some reason, big shelf of reasons why I'm single) but I'm pretty sure its genetic. When my brother got an eBook as a gift, I discovered 4 years later that he hadn't even used it more than twice, and he still goes to the store to buy books.

• Like 1

I always buy physical if games exist as a retail version. Digital is convenient, no doubt but the whole Wii shop closing thing, the inability to play some PS3 games now and the ability of companies to close stores in general is just worrying. I wanna be able to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in ten years as well and not be hindered by some legal reasons, DRMs or whatever.

Their are costs and benefits to both so I go with a mix. I could lose all of my physical games to a fire, a burglary, or disc rot, or I could lose all my digital games to account ban or hacking or Sony losing its mind and delisting everything. I hedge my bets.

Edited by Trigonometrize

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No thanks.

I don’t want clutter in my house, I want the convenience of getting games as soon as I feel like playing them, and, personally, I don’t like the whole concept of the second-hand market, as it denies the people who make the games any of the profits from the purchase of them.

Digital games for triple-A games take way too long to download which is why I prefer to buy them physically. Even then I bought F1 2021 physically and still have to wait 20 hours for the update file. This seems to be a huge problem with modern gaming. It would take 40-50 hours for me to download a full triple-A game digitally. Also, physical second games go on sale.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Digital games for triple-A games take way too long to download which is why I prefer to buy them physically. Even then I bought F1 2021 physically and still have to wait 20 hours for the update file. This seems to be a huge problem with modern gaming. It would take 40-50 hours for me to download a full triple-A game digitally. Also, physical second games go on sale.

Ooft - ouch, that’s some rough download speeds for sure!:blink:

I’m lucky, in that my speeds are decent enough -  it’s usually in the 2-3 hour range for a bigger game, so not much of an issue… though I do tend to buy during the day, and do the “download to console” option, so it’s ready and waiting when I’m free to play.

TBH though, so many games have quite hefty day one patches - i can imagine that must be a pain in the butt, even with the discs!

The fact that you don’t have actual ownership over your digital games, and your account getting locked/banned/suspended resulting in the loss of those digital games.... is a good enough reason NOT to fully invest in digital. 

These massive corporations are doing their best to get rid of physical entirely, so that you can subscribe to a live service model where a bunch of business suits decide what you can and can’t get. 

It’s not just gaming either, it’s also music, movies and television. We’ve already hit a point where DVDs are becoming more scarce, not necessarily because everybody has what they want on physical but because they are really no longer profitable with the big companies. 

We’ve had DVDs for over 20 years, but their likely demise will make the death of VHS seem like child’s play in comparison.

I completely understand people who don’t buy digital. But those people are dying out. 

In the near future we could very well witness a generation or two of games inaccessible because of delistings and failure to bring these titles to modern systems. 

Some games are practically stuck on the PS3. There is no Steam version, you can’t play them on PS Now, and some aren’t even available on the PS3 Store. 

With the recent news regarding older PS1/PS2 games on PS3/Vita, Sony is just another massive corporation that just doesn’t care.

They are no better than Amazon, Netflix, Microsoft or even Nintendo. They all have one goal in mind, which is to make money by any means possible while sacrificing everything else. 

This is a byproduct of late stage capitalism. I feel within the next decade, the system could very well implode and collapse.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

They are no better than Amazon, Netflix, Microsoft or even Nintendo. They all have one goal in mind, which is to make money by any means possible while sacrificing everything else. 

I cropped some out but Sony ya ya

Honestly though, yes i am a physical collector and prefer to be. I also have expendable funds for pricier games if i wanted them even though they are rare, but i buy what games i want. Movies etc.

I don't agree with an all digital world either, but eventually it will come to that in our lifetime. Can't stop it.  But unlike you, i don't hate any big corporations, because they are making money. Think of it like a crypto, you cant just put all your investments in one basket and hope it goes well, you need to watch, get a feel for what's hot or going to grow in a near future etc. and plan for that and adapt to the times accordingly. Thats exactly what these big corporations are doing and its smart.

50 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

I cropped some out but Sony ya ya

Honestly though, yes i am a physical collector and prefer to be. I also have expendable funds for pricier games if i wanted them even though they are rare, but i buy what games i want. Movies etc.

I don't agree with an all digital world either, but eventually it will come to that in our lifetime. Can't stop it.  But unlike you, i don't hate any big corporations, because they are making money. Think of it like a crypto, you cant just put all your investments in one basket and hope it goes well, you need to watch, get a feel for what's hot or going to grow in a near future etc. and plan for that and adapt to the times accordingly. Thats exactly what these big corporations are doing and its smart.

Spaz needs to let go of his hatred of the so called evil big corporations or maybe because he is a little poor.

I buy both physical and digital games and I still enjoy gaming giants like Sony, Nintendo and more from Japan. But Spaz here thinks the big corporations are out to ruin his life, that's delusional don't you think?

On topic, like u said, Elite, digital only future will happen in either the near future or not. Who knows?

• Like 1