I can only advise to not go (full) digital.

LoveInHell

Most physical I bought are limited editions or games that I want so bad.

Back in PS3/Vita years, when the HK PSN store did not contain as many games as the JP store, I usually bought physical releases.

I'm fine with digital games, especially on NS. Not only because of sales, which encourage me to try different games, but also of convenience. Considering switching to different cartridges (NS) while out is inconvenient, and there are no physical releases for some indie games, I'll keep purchasing both.

51 minutes ago, Alantor32 said:

Spaz needs to let go of his hatred of the so called evil big corporations or maybe because he is a little poor.

I buy both physical and digital games and I still enjoy gaming giants like Sony, Nintendo and more from Japan. But Spaz here thinks the big corporations are out to ruin his life, that's delusional don't you think?

On topic, like u said, Elite, digital only future will happen in either the near future or not. Who knows?

definitely delusion. Now, i know I'm not the most liked, i can be an ass, mean, etc. but normally i have a valid reason, and points to back it up. I've never hated company leaders, because any one of us in that position would do the exact same. I think Spaz likes to try to play the victim. I mean if he hates Jim Ryan soooo much, why the hell support Sony products? oh so yeah, he plans to pay the corpo he hates. Makes sense.

But regardless of digital only future happening sooner or not, when it happens ill be quite annoyed if that's the ONLY means to game, however.... i will adapt. Even if trophies one day got wiped out by Sony. I will still game,  because at the end of it all, i play for the experience first. Not the trophy count. Thats why I'm never going be anywhere near 100% profile.

As far as buying digital games, ill buy them if no other means exist and i want to play it such as Salt & Sacrifice for example. 

Only times I usually buy digital is if the game is on sale and significantly cheaper than the Physical copy, or if the game is digital only. 
 And yet somehow I am closing in on 1,000 digital titles well this total is added between PS3, Vita, PSN+ Games and PS4 games but even so.
 And have over 100+ digital on Switch as well I believe.
 Unfortunately I have a lot of Physical games too and running out of space where I can put those since I buy quite a few movies and books on top of that.
 And pretty another factor in why I haven't bought the Playstation 5 or Xbox series x yet aside from that hasn't been a game I wanted that  bad for them yet.
Kingdom Hearts IV might do it though, but going to wait and see if that doesn't come on the Playstation 7 first.

• Like 1

It's nice having two options so everyone can decide what is best for them. In my country physical got expensive so I prefer digital, in a different world I'd have a giant physical library. Also, some games have limited runs, like Hades.

• Like 1

Prefer physical but not opposed to digital when physical is not available. I understand the industry and market wants to move towards digital but call me an old timer and traditionalist. Besides, love the touch, look, and displaying my collection. 

• Like 3

If you get PS5, DON'T get the digital-only one. I'm glad mine is the Blu-ray. Yes, a game can be cheaper digitally... but not always. I had found Demon's Souls on PSN at $40 for the regular, or $60 for the deluxe last night. And the other way around can easily happen, with a game that's on PSN and still $70 going on special for $30 at a retailer. Over time, savings like that will make up for the extra $100 you pay for a Blu-ray system.

One main weakness of digital games is the risk of delisting (higher on licensed titles). Then again, limited run physical releases can end up with prices inflated to hundreds of dollars in the after market, while the digital copy may go down in price. Best of both worlds.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

If you get PS5, DON'T get the digital-only one. I'm glad mine is the Blu-ray. Yes, a game can be cheaper digitally... but not always. I had found Demon's Souls on PSN at $40 for the regular, or $60 for the deluxe last night. And the other way around can easily happen, with a game that's on PSN and still $70 going on special for $30 at a retailer. Over time, savings like that will make up for the extra $100 you pay for a Blu-ray system.

I have the physical and I'm glad I got it, even though literally the only physical games I play are rentals (and Skyrim VR.)

Thats why I would be afraid to get a gaming PC and go through Steam, too many sales, ah here and there 5 bucks a game.

These days is a fast paced world, with new things popping up back to back.For gaming it feels like, that you gonna miss out on sth.

"Ah im gonna buy this and play it later" then u have another game go on sale and so on.

In my school days this would be heaven but now working and a busy time schedule,you might have the money for many games but not the time.

I am 35% Digital and 65% physical, some games i had em on disc sold it and bought digital cuz was cheaper and I can share it with my family on my second PS4 instead of byuing the same disc twice, Example R6. disc costs around 15-20€ here, but the digital delux ed was just 9€ + Operator set, so ofc i bought cuz i played this game to death and it seems its gonna have more years of support.

GTA V is another example I played it to death disc costs still 15-20€ digital premium ed was 15€.

Really if I know im gonna have a game long enough i buy digital. but my rule is never go  above 20€ per game.

I just wanna try out a game and read mixed reviews i prefer buying disc.

For new releases i also buy disc, since if i dont like the game i make way less - than digital.

I am still waiting for sony to allow trading digital games, but this must be well thought through, as it would harm the developers very hard if its not regulated.

I already saw service where they buy a game cheapo on an account then sell it to others

2 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

If you get PS5, DON'T get the digital-only one.

As far as I could tell, it's pretty difficult to find the digital only one anyways. ?

I wanted the digital one, but couldn't find one anywhere...so was forced to buy the bigger one, that looks worse, has a useless extra dust intake (the disc drive), and numerous additional points of potential failure that I will never want or need... and I got to pay 50 quid more for the privilege! :blink: ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No thanks.

I don’t want clutter in my house, I want the convenience of getting games as soon as I feel like playing them, and, personally, I don’t like the whole concept of the second-hand market, as it denies the people who make the games any of the profits from the purchase of them.

I'm with you. I used to be pro-physical copy but I almost exclusively buy digital. It's faster, cleaner, cheaper (e.g., flash sales) and more convenient. I have a pretty healthy PS2 and PS3 collection and small PS4 collection - and now it just sits there. I don't play them, the majority of them are practically worthless compared to what I paid for them. I'm aware of the trade-offs of not buying physical, but I don't really care at this point.

Edited by pathtoninja
  • Like 2

I used to be all for physical copies but nowadays, it’s become more of a mix. As many have already said, some games are digital only or can be too expensive on disc. I tend to buy a lot of indies on the psn store as well as games I really want to play if they go on sale for a really good price. 

Physical is great in that you’re pretty much able to play the game straight out the box barring any big updates or patches. Being able to lend them to friends and family is also a plus. And lastly, for me, having a nice collection of games to look at is just cool. 

As for the cons, like people said, not everyone has the space. If your disc drive breaks, like it did for my sister, you lose access to your games until you sort out the problem which she hasn’t bothered to do. The only other thing for me is being stuck with whatever game you have in the console while using remote play, especially for an extended period, which is where digital games come in.

Digital seems to be the norm nowadays, at least for a lot of my gaming friends. The sales are great as long as you’re interested in the games on offer. Having subscriptions such as PS Plus, Now or even EA Play gives you access to numerous games for less than buying them individually. 

On the other hand, I see why people may be detracted from a digital library due to store closures, games being tied to that one account only, having slow download speeds and being unable to offload your collection. 

At the end of the day, it’s really down to personal preference and circumstance. Having a good balance of both makes sense to me but you should just do whichever one works best for you. 

• Like 3

I just buy whats convenient to me but in the recent year since i had to move in with my grandma in Kentucky due to hurricane ida ive been buying more physical because i now live within 20 miles of a shitton of game stores(i have a flea market, gamexchange, card-n-all gaming, 2 comic shops and like 3 gamestops within biking distance) but in all honesty i rather support whats left of the physics market while i can as i honesty find going to physical stores fun and i always enjoy finding stuff in the most random of places(like finding a copy of tokyo twilight ghost hunters extra gig for 5$ randomly in a movie rack inbetween some obscure spanish cartoon and a copy of paul blart mall cop 2 at a peddlers mall)

I don't have much of a preference on digital or physical and I would just go with the tide here. Let's face it even with physical the big companies can take away the access w/o too much effort technically.

Currently I am going with 60% to 40%, physical to digital. Main reason is that, at least in NA market, it is easier to find deals for physical version of main stream games. Furthermore it gave me the freedom of running unpatched games if I decided to go for an exploit.

On the other hand, I need to buy games from other regions and unfortunately digitial is the only practical way.

• 2 weeks later...

I converted from physical to digital as well, and like others said the reasons are similar: too much space, availability and money.

However, I have few additional things to add as that recently made the weight more on the digital side:

- Developers adding DLCs to games after a long time passed: not for everyone but if you are someone who wants to 100% a game, you would like to have it in hand. So either you'll keep each physical game at least two years for that (these days even that is not enough for some developers!!), or simply delete a digital game when you are done with it and re-install if there is a new DLC.

- Re-play an old game when you feel like it: This is maybe just me, but I sometimes want to play a great old game again, which I wouldn't be able to if I sold the physical copy.

- Installing the games are much easier than the past in term of the internet speed

- I hate selling a game second-hand, because usually the buyers are try to go extremely cheaper than your price and it feels terrible to negotiate on few dollars difference

On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

No thanks.

I don’t want clutter in my house, I want the convenience of getting games as soon as I feel like playing them, and, personally, I don’t like the whole concept of the second-hand market, as it denies the people who make the games any of the profits from the purchase of them.

Hmm *examines post from the left side*

Hmmmm *examines post from the right side*

Hmmmmmmmmmm *joins hands and wiggles index fingers whilst viewing post from the rafters*

after much speculation I don't have a clue what I am doing.

However in response to your post. Well the first part is purely down to your personal preference, no one could justify disagreeing with it. 

However. The part about the second hand market. Well physical products usually only have a select amount of units, be it in the millions or a few dozen, its still a finite number. So at some point you're not going to be able to buy the original game from either the original owner or its seller. So the physical world will always have a second hand market and rightly so. Now if you get a second hand copy of something whilst the original product is in high sales during early release, so for example a video game in this situation. Then it then comes down to a number of factors, is a second hand game for a person short on cash for a number of reasons a bad thing, even if millions of units have shipped and a few dozen thousand get the second hand copy. Maybe, but look at how it helps the retailer keep staff and stuff like that. Also in terms of video games, is the price of new product and its quality of release deserving of the full price. Again this all comes down to personal choice. 

I myself pretty much went full digital during the PS4 era. Not because I don't like having a physical collection, just because the sales were good and it was more convenient. Only recently when going though my backlog of unwanted games did I wish they were retail so I could sell them on, but thats the only downside to digital for me, which can be solved by wiser purchases.  

Before I said im 50/50 on this, but it really depends, if I know there is a game i just wanna try out lay through and not keep, i ll go for the disc version.

But if I like the game,it has multiplayer,high replay value and is cheaper than physical than i buy it digital, since I can share it with my family which would cut the cost in half to say the least.

Example: AC Unity on disc it costs here still like 15-20€, digitally for the same price i got AC Unity,Syndicate and IV Black Flag which comes down to 6-7€ per ame /2 ~3.5€ per game when i share it with my family. this is by all means cheaper than any disc u will find out there.

the only 3-4€ discs i got here were used decade old AC games hahah.

If you have family or good friend to share games with digitally then it ll be worth much more.

Yeah about licenses, i mean after 10 years u still wanna play the game? the longest I played a game "actively" was GTA V from 2013-2018, five years.I sold the disc and bought it again digitally for 15€.So at any point when i come back to it to introduce friends/colleagues or family to the game i can simply share it and not bother to search for the disc.

I dont know what laws will be there here in 10-15 years in the EU but we have pretty strong rights here,might be a chance that publishers even tho they state in their "end user agreement" to be able to revoke the agreement at any time, that this wont go easy through european law.

My base rule for digital is 20€ per game and be patient there is so many games to play, by the time u finsh other games ur desired might be on sale already

I get both, i just go for the cheapest option. For digital, I will only ever buy them if there is a massive PSN sale or discount that makes it cheaper than the used physical copy. I usually buy used physicals as that often ends up the cheapest option for most games to me, but sometimes when there's 70-80% off on PSN, I go for digital. 

I have more digital games because of PS plus, but in terms of games I bought definitely way more physical for sure