One Favorite Thing You Like About Videogames?

TrophyChief

Mine?

Idle animations - Just love 'em! Fun, entertaining, and can be downright creative.

Would love to see your "one" thing. Yes, I'm sure you have many but if you had to pick just one? No wrong answer here.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

Mine?

Idle animations - Just love 'em! Fun, entertaining, and can be downright creative.

Would love to see your "one" thing. Yes, I'm sure you have many but if you had to pick just one? No wrong answer here.

Idle animations? As in watching your character stand still? Any examples of which ones you like? I definitely appreciate them in 2D games that have a lot of frames, such as Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

Favorite thing, personally, is simply fun factor! I know that's a pretty broad answer but there's too many things that come to mind about all the different games I've played that I can't single out a specific feature. For me, fun factor can come from the game's soundtrack, visuals, story, challenge, multiplayer ability, and even times where a game is "so bad, it's good" just because of how awful/hilarious it is.

However, I think if I HAD TO pick a specific thing, I'd go with soundtrack. There's a lot of pretty lousy games I think fondly of just because of how much I loved the music.

• Like 1

The stories. I really like a game with an engrossing story. The interactivity of playing is just icing on the cake. Just like Segajam mine is sort of broad. A game with bad to okay gameplay (like The Order 1886) I can play through if I am engrossed enough in the story. 

Recent examples of games with good stories that come to mind are Life is Strange True Colors and The Last of Us 2, especially the latter. They both also had good gameplay too! 

For a less broad answer, a story that lets you choose how it plays out (like the Telltale games or some RPGs)

Edited by Otter
  • Like 1

If I think back to my childhood, the thing I remember most about videogames is the music. I played some games 20 years ago and I can still hum the soundtrack or remember a catchy intro song. And the music is undoubtedly important to a game - imagine a game without sound! ?
Just listening to the soundtrack makes me relive the gaming experience ✌️ So I'd say my favorite thing about games is definitely the music!

• Like 3

It’s a medium still to reach its peak, and where the boundaries are still undefined.

Movies / TV / Novels / Theatre - those mediums have been explored almost fully at this point, and the limits of what is achievable is a relatively known quantity.

Games though - their progress is tied not only to artistic freedom and innovation, but to continually expanding technology, so the limits of the scope artists have at their disposal is constantly evolving.

That means that with Games, more than any other medium, we get to follow along with the artistic innovations, even as the limits placed on those artistic innovations erodes - and that makes game truly exciting from an evolutionary standpoint!

The limits of what a game can do, and what even constitutes a game, are continually changing - and we get to live through that renaissance in real time! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I have moderate aphantasia, a right bastard when it comes to visualizing printed media. Never could grasp how other readers could paint entire mental portraits, tapestries within their minds, when I could formulate grayish blurs. Yet television and cinema hardly seize me. Manga's fine, but costly, and arrived much later in life. Video games supply the visualization that I need for fiction to fulfill me to its fullest, plus the interactivity that clamps down upon my focus like a steel vice. They're hugely fun, yeah, but they also mix my ideal concoction. I truly adore them, no matter their deficiencies, above other fictions.

• Like 2

Aside from escapism and enjoying the stories and gameplay and such, one thing I really appreciate about games is that it's a medium where it feels like it can evoke certain emotions in a way that other forms of entertainment can't.

Like the fear or uncomfortableness you may feel playing a horror game, or feeling like you're directly part of the plot/world because of the choices you make (even if it is just illusion of choice much of the time, it still feels engaging).

But to give more specific examples, I like how games can mess with you in ways only games can (slight spoilers for the following games):

Metal Gear Solid:

Spoiler

If you've played this, you know what I mean - Psycho Mantis and his ability to read your memory card, and having to put your controller into the second port in order to defeat him. There's similar forms of psychological fuckery in the other MGS games as well, but this one will always be the most memorable for me.

Eternal Darkness:

Spoiler

I don't think anything has ever frightened me quite as much as a game pretending it's deleting my save file rather than saving it. There's tons of ways this game messes with you, and it was insanely cool back in the day. The only downside is that once you know all the gimmicks, it's not quite as entertaining and sometimes actually just got a little annoying, but it (aside from MGS) was one of the first games I played that messed with my head, and I look back on it fondly for it.

Dragon Quest 3:

Spoiler

You think you've beaten the game... Only for it to be a fake out and for the story to be far from over. This kind of thing has happened in quite a few games since, but DQ3 is the first game I can think of that I played with this "fake end" mechanic. It's a little worn out nowadays, but still cool nonetheless.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (kinda major spoilers for this one):

Spoiler

I wasn't a massive fan of this game, as it kind of felt like a poor man's Ico (with Ico itself being kind of painful to play even when it was new). But one thing that really stuck with me is how half your controller just becomes useless once one of the brothers has died. It really cements the feeling of loss, into a more physical form.

And then there's VNs like House in Fata Morgana and Doki Doki Literature Club, as well as games such as Undertale and One Shot. For those games, if you know, you know, if you don't, I won't spoil anyone.

And on more minor notes, things like motion controls and how some games will manipulate how the console is used to play it (e.g. some of the Mario & Luigi games, how Inkay evolves in the Pokemon games, a multitude of DS and 3DS games, etc.) has always been kinda cool to me, even if they are often just gimmicks that don't really add much substance otherwise.

• Like 1

The fact that gaming got me through some of the most difficult times in my life.

I beat Chrono Trigger, one of the all-time greats, on my 16th birthday, back when my childhood was... not going well, to put it mildly. Later in life, when I was struggling to find my place in the world, games helped keep me stable, even as lawmakers and media portrayed games as evil and destructive. Now, as my life seems to fall apart as the world leaves me behind to crusade to end political careers or reopen bars (most of said crusades fail I might add) games keep me focused on something positive.

My passion is the evolution of gaming. My 4 "1st to Plat" Moments prove to the "wasting your time" crowd that they couldn't be more wrong. I started on my late father's knee with an Atari 2600 joystick as a toddler and will continue until my eyes close for the very last time.

I'm sure I said quite a bit for one thing. Thank you all for reading.

The sense of progression. Playing an RPG: leveling up and mastering skill trees until you can do anything. Farming Sims: starting out with no money and slowly building up an empire, upgrading houses, growing a desolate area into something thriving with life. Survival games: going from dying consistently to building up an unbreakable base with everything you need. 

Things like that. One of the biggest reasons Im not into platformers is that theres (usually) not really a sense of overall progression. Just clear the level and move on. Clear that level then move on. Those kinds of games rarely hold my attention. 

For me, the only form of entertainment that offers greater escapism than (not all, but the ones I consider excellent) video games is live concerts. And due to various issues (worldwide & personal), I haven’t been to a live concert in years. 

Since I deeply value escapism, I value excellent games that pull me into their world so completely that I entirely forget about the real world for awhile. 

• 3 weeks later...