My Playthrough to Platinum. Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

6 hours ago, Bergen75 said:

Ugh, they made this so confusing. I was hoping to be very close to the Platinum, but it seems I’m still a long way off.

Got all the endings, and when I went to Sprigg’s House to use the Chrono Cross, I found out I was missing Harle and Guile, even though I got other endings with them.

I also found out that my Razzly doesn’t have her level 7 tech, needed for a trophy,

and I don’t know how to fix that, because my first playthrough didn’t include her at all, and that’s the one that Continue+ uses. Such an obtuse system. 

Edit: From what I had read, it seemed like whenever you finish the game with certain characters, and save it to your clear file, it just adds them to your total list. But it doesn’t work that way at all, and actually replaces the characters you’ve already gotten with the ones from the current save.

So I can Continue+ from the last save of my first playthrough and end up with everyone but Guile with the Chrono Cross, but when I go back to my (New Game+) save, recruit him, fight TD, and go to Sprigg’s house, I’m not only missing Harle, but also Korcha, Mel, and Razzly.

I don’t know how to get them all from here. 

What I'm seeing is.. you "lost" some characters because you weren't able to "collate" them. This could've been avoided if you stick with just one endgame save (the one you keep on overwriting whenever you finish a playthrough, and the one you keep loading to use Continue+ on).

5 hours ago, Toxia said:

So I have every character except Harley and no other saves beside my clear save and my current save after using chrono cross to collect everyone, anyone know the best way to add Harley to finish this from here?

Maybe use your clear save to start New Game+. Play until you recruit Harle, use Time Egg to end the game and keep her.

You should have everyone now, when you next use the Chrono Cross item.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Unpreeh said:

What I'm seeing is.. you "lost" some characters because you weren't able to "collate" them. This could've been avoided if you stick with just one endgame save (the one you keep on overwriting whenever you finish a playthrough, and the one you keep loading to use Continue+ on).

I only have one endgame save. The characters on that save seem to disappear/reappear depending on which save I used to finish the game last. So the order you complete them seems to matter. 

10 minutes ago, Unpreeh said:

Maybe use your clear save to start New Game+. Play until you recruit Harle, use Time Egg to end the game and keep her.

You should have everyone now, when you next use the Chrono Cross item.

I’ve done this multiple times. But when I have her, I don’t have Guile and vice versa.

For now I’m reading my best option might be to start a brand new playthrough, get Guile, and Continue+ (using my save that SHOULD have all the other characters) on from there to get through the rest of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bergen75 said:

I only have one endgame save. The characters on that save seem to disappear/reappear depending on which save I used to finish the game last. So the order you complete them seems to matter. 

Is this AFTER you used the Chrono Cross item?? Because in case there is some misunderstanding, you don't immediately get everyone on your next Continue+, you have to use the Chrono Cross item every single time.

15 hours ago, Bergen75 said:

Ugh, they made this so confusing. I was hoping to be very close to the Platinum, but it seems I’m still a long way off.

Got all the endings, and when I went to Sprigg’s House to use the Chrono Cross, I found out I was missing Harle and Guile, even though I got other endings with them.

I also found out that my Razzly doesn’t have her level 7 tech, needed for a trophy,

and I don’t know how to fix that, because my first playthrough didn’t include her at all, and that’s the one that Continue+ uses. Such an obtuse system. 

Edit: From what I had read, it seemed like whenever you finish the game with certain characters, and save it to your clear file, it just adds them to your total list. But it doesn’t work that way at all, and actually replaces the characters you’ve already gotten with the ones from the current save.

So I can Continue+ from the last save of my first playthrough and end up with everyone but Guile with the Chrono Cross, but when I go back to my (New Game+) save, recruit him, fight TD, and go to Sprigg’s house, I’m not only missing Harle, but also Korcha, Mel, and Razzly.

I don’t know how to get them all from here. 

For your first playthrough save file that you have with everyone but Guile and you already got chrono cross

Here i recommend keeping 2 save files:
1. Uncleared save file. (Do not beat final boss). eg :Save File A

2. Cleared save file (After beating final boss). eg : Save File B

then, load your save from your completed playthrough (already beat final boss) with everyone except Guile and Harle.( Save file B )
then continue+ to your save file from your first playthrough at Termina before choosing between Guile, Nikki or Pierre. (or just New game if you dont have save file from first playthrough/ uncleared playthrough)

Choose Guile and Save Kid at Guldove.
Recruit Razzly, and exclude her from your party when fighting Hydra in Hydra Marshes.

When arriving on Water Dragon Isle save before you fight boss in this area (Hi-Ho Tank)

After you beat the boss (Hi Ho Tank), check nearby fairy (Rosetta),

If the fairy still alive, reload your save and wait for a whille or fight some of the monsters in the area and try again.
if the fairy died, you can continue the story

Play until you recruit Harle, and save the game. eg: Save file C

Continue play the game and after beating FATE, come back to  Water Dragon Isle (Home) and check the tree in the middle. you should get Razzly level 7 tech and weapon.

Assuming, you already got Leena level 7 tech as well. Equip MaidenFaith on Leena, and Raz Flower on Razzly. when you fight any monster using Serge, Leena and Razly use delta force and the trophy will pop.

Then load Save File C, go fight final boss and make a new save (eg: Save File D)

Next, Load Save File D, and continue+ to save file A use chrono cross. you should get everyone.

14 hours ago, Toxia said:

So I have every character except Harley and no other saves beside my clear save and my current save after using chrono cross to collect everyone, anyone know the best way to add Harley to finish this from here?

i'm assuming your current save with chrono cross item and have everyone except Harle is uncleared save file.

(eg: Save File A)

i suggest start New Game and play until Harle joins, go fight final boss. save the game (eg:Save File B )

then, load save file B and continue+ to save file A and use chrono cross. you should get everyone + Harle now.

Tips for Recruiter (using continue+):

Here is the video i just made today recruiting Pierre and Harle using continue+ method and keeping some of the save files from first playthrough.

Forgive me for the slight pauses here and there.

What i do in this video is:
i load my completed first playthrough (Recruited everyone except Nikki, Pierre, Korcha, Mel, Razzly and Harle)

Next, i continue+ to my first playthrough save file#1 Termina (before choosing between Guile, Nikki, and Pierre)

Next, i choose Pierre and i go fight final boss after that i save the game

Next, i load the save game i just created and continue+ to my first playthrough when Harle already in my party.

Next, i go to fight final boss and save the game.

then, i reload this save game i just created and continue+ to save file from my first playthrough when i get chrono cross.

next i proceed to sprigg house and use chrono cross. Pierre, Harle and all characters you recruited on first playthrough should be there when you use teleporter.

Hope it helps.

Edited by blue_cool

I used to play this game religiously back when I first started but I was admittedly too young to really pay attention to much of the nuance of RPGs at the time, so most of it was just throwing stuff at the wall and proceeding with what sticks. Thinking back on it, I'm amazed that I even got as far as the Devourer with that kind of attention span.

But I'm fascinated with how the Devourer's elemental attacks missed without fail. Is there a particular setup to achieve that or is it something I'll discover further in the story? With what little time I have to do any gaming this month, I'm contextually just reaching Guldove after the first encounter with Lynx, so please no spoilers if you can avoid them! ?

I remember particular environmental snippets here and there but most of the mid- to late-game narrative will hopefully be like I'm playing again for the first time.

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

I used to play this game religiously back when I first started but I was admittedly too young to really pay attention to much of the nuance of RPGs at the time, so most of it was just throwing stuff at the wall and proceeding with what sticks. Thinking back on it, I'm amazed that I even got as far as the Devourer with that kind of attention span.

But I'm fascinated with how the Devourer's elemental attacks missed without fail. Is there a particular setup to achieve that or is it something I'll discover further in the story? With what little time I have to do any gaming this month, I'm contextually just reaching Guldove after the first encounter with Lynx, so please no spoilers if you can avoid them! 1f609.png

I remember particular environmental snippets here and there but most of the mid- to late-game narrative will hopefully be like I'm playing again for the first time.

Spoiler

It's battle boosts and available from the start.

Press right thumbstick (R3) to turn it on.
what it does :

- All enemy attack to your character will miss
- All element will be available at the start of battle
be careful, your character will also miss when trying to steal from enemy.

Tips:

Turn off Battle boost (R3) before attempting to steal from enemy.

Hope it helps. :)

On 4/29/2022 at 5:32 AM, blue_cool said:

snip

Oh, yes... that most definitely does help. Certainly hasn't been a need to use it so far, but definitely something to look into when reloading saves for the different endings.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Ok so here is the situation I'm in and I would appreciate any assistance if possible.  I just need the recruiter trophy.  I have several saves.  After my second playthrough I have a save that has every character on it EXCEPT for Pierre and Harle.  Call this Save 1 (It's currently saved before going to Terra Tower).  I have a Save 2 that is right before you fight Radius after you become Lynx in Home World.  I have Harle, Lynx, and Sprigg in the party and on this very same save I recruited Pierre.

I don't understand what Continue + would do.  Is there anything I can do with these two save files?  Pierre seems easy enough but I didn't realize Harle was going to be such a pain in the butt.  I have a few other random saves still (first play through complete, 2nd playthrough before kid decision)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, Rudrose said:

Ok so here is the situation I'm in and I would appreciate any assistance if possible.  I just need the recruiter trophy.  I have several saves.  After my second playthrough I have a save that has every character on it EXCEPT for Pierre and Harle.  Call this Save 1 (It's currently saved before going to Terra Tower).  I have a Save 2 that is right before you fight Radius after you become Lynx in Home World.  I have Harle, Lynx, and Sprigg in the party and on this very same save I recruited Pierre.

I don't understand what Continue + would do.  Is there anything I can do with these two save files?  Pierre seems easy enough but I didn't realize Harle was going to be such a pain in the butt.  I have a few other random saves still (first play through complete, 2nd playthrough before kid decision)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

To keep it as simple as possible.. start a New Game (fresh start, not New Game+).

Recruit Pierre, then play until the point that Harle's in your party (After you turn into Lynx). Save. Let's name this file "FreshSave".

Load your "save that has every character except for Pierre and Harle", then Continue+ on "FreshSave" when prompted. That should solve your problem.

Edited by Unpreeh
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Unpreeh said:

To keep it as simple as possible.. start a New Game (fresh start, not New Game+).

Recruit Pierre, then play until the point that Harle's in your party (After you turn into Lynx). Save. Let's name this file "FreshSave".

Load your "save that has every character except for Pierre and Harle", then Continue+ on "FreshSave" when prompted. That should solve your problem.

Thank you so much!  That is very concise!  2 questions.  If I do this

A) Do I need to finish the game on the "every character except Pierre/Harle file?  Currently sitting at Terra Tower, do I need to make it cleared data?

and

B ) Do I need to play through the end of the game on "Fresh Save" to where I get the Chrono Cross and can unite everyone?  Or will simply getting to recruiting Harle unlock the trophy?  I'm not sure how Continue + works with the other characters.

Just want to know what I am in for, thank you :D

• Like 1

1) Yes, this needs to be a cleared data, so you can play New Game+ / Continue+ off of it.

2) Yes, the trophy will pop once you use the Chrono Cross item and pull everyone later in the game.

Note: After using Continue+ on "FreshSave", immediately kill Time Devourer via Time Egg; then save (This new save should have everyone now, and you should be able to pull everyone now when you do another Continue+ or New Game+; basically, the only way to keep Harle is to "finish" the game while you still have her).

Edited by Unpreeh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Unpreeh said:

I did this too a T and it did not work :(  I used the Chrono Cross and everyone appeared EXCEPT Harle.  This is 3 play throughs now and I'm beyond sick of this game.  I don't want to give up with one trophy away but this is ridiculous it's this complicated to get a character I never even use.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have so many different save files.

I cleared the everyone except Pierre/Harle file.  Started a brand new game (Just New Game, no new game plus) and played until I got Harle and made the Fresh Save.  Then I loaded the all but two file and did Continue Plus onto the Fresh Save.  I then played until I rescued Kid from her nightmare and used the Chrono Cross.

I'm at a loss here.

Edited by Rudrose

5 hours ago, Rudrose said:

I did this too a T and it did not work :(  I used the Chrono Cross and everyone appeared EXCEPT Harle.  This is 3 play throughs now and I'm beyond sick of this game.  I don't want to give up with one trophy away but this is ridiculous it's this complicated to get a character I never even use.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have so many different save files.

I cleared the everyone except Pierre/Harle file.  Started a brand new game (Just New Game, no new game plus) and played until I got Harle and made the Fresh Save.  Then I loaded the all but two file and did Continue Plus onto the Fresh Save.  I then played until I rescued Kid from her nightmare and used the Chrono Cross.

I'm at a loss here.

"I cleared the everyone except Pierre/Harle file.  Started a brand new game (Just New Game, no new game plus) and played until I got Harle and made the Fresh Save.  Then I loaded the all but two file and did Continue Plus onto the Fresh Save." - Yes, you did this correctly.

Then, upon loading FreshSave with Continue+ (since you have Time Egg now), immediately kill Time Devourer using the Time Egg; then save again after the fight. Let's name this "NewClearData". This "NewClearData" is the one with all the characters; this is the one that will give you all the characters on your next New Game+ or Continue+ when you use the Chrono Cross. Much better if you have an uncleared save with the Chrono Cross item already so you won't have to go through the entire game again.

OMG sorry my bad I could have noted this earlier. I assumed you would be using the Time Egg immediately, not play until saving Kid from her nightmare. >.< 

Go for it man, one last trophy. Don't you give up now.

Edited by Unpreeh
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:08 AM, Unpreeh said:

"I cleared the everyone except Pierre/Harle file.  Started a brand new game (Just New Game, no new game plus) and played until I got Harle and made the Fresh Save.  Then I loaded the all but two file and did Continue Plus onto the Fresh Save." - Yes, you did this correctly.

Then, upon loading FreshSave with Continue+ (since you have Time Egg now), immediately kill Time Devourer using the Time Egg; then save again after the fight. Let's name this "NewClearData". This "NewClearData" is the one with all the characters; this is the one that will give you all the characters on your next New Game+ or Continue+ when you use the Chrono Cross. Much better if you have an uncleared save with the Chrono Cross item already so you won't have to go through the entire game again.

OMG sorry my bad I could have noted this earlier. I assumed you would be using the Time Egg immediately, not play until saving Kid from her nightmare. >.< 

Go for it man, one last trophy. Don't you give up now.

I got very lucky that I had all my old saves.  So I reloaded one on New Game Plus, right before Fort Dragonia.  Beat the time Devourer with Harle, loaded that old first saved, used Chrono Cross, and voila!  Trophy and Platinum.  Thank you for the assistance.  I really wish Harle hadn't been such a pain though.  I don't understand why it can just pull her in automatically.  Whatever.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Buenas noches, e tenido que borrar  los datos de el juego por que Harle ni hubo forma se uniera con el chronocross estoy por empezar una partida totalmente nueva, solo me falta este trofeo de reclutador y el de ataque Delta alguien me puede explicar como poder hacerlo por favor? 

Google Translate:

Good evening, I had to delete the game data because Harle didn't even have a way to join the chronocross I'm about to start a totally new game, I only need this recruiter trophy and the Delta attack trophy can someone explain to me how to do it please?

Edited by DaivRules
All posts must be in English

On 08/06/2022 at 1:47 AM, walle2022 said:

Buenas noches, e tenido que borrar  los datos de el juego por que Harle ni hubo forma se uniera con el chronocross estoy por empezar una partida totalmente nueva, solo me falta este trofeo de reclutador y el de ataque Delta alguien me puede explicar como poder hacerlo por favor? 

Google Translate:

Good evening, I had to delete the game data because Harle didn't even have a way to join the chronocross I'm about to start a totally new game, I only need this recruiter trophy and the Delta attack trophy can someone explain to me how to do it please?

I've just finished routing a platinum speedrun, have like 12 Google Docs consisting of the first playthrough, and then 11 Continue+ (10 additional ending and then the 44 characters) I do afterwards to optimally and efficiently do everything together.

If you have defeated the final boss (by using the Time Egg on the beach), with Harle in your current roster, then when you NG+ or Continue+ from that Cleared Save file, she should be there when you use the Chrono Cross.

If that is not happening, then you have made a mistake somewhere..............if you share some details, we can try and work out where.........

And in case you are thinking, repeatedly overwriting the same Cleared Save with a new Cleared Save OR always saving new Cleared Saves on new slots doesn't affect anything as I tested it. So isn't that!

The roster from previous Cleared Saves will always be carried into further Cleared Saves whether you overwrote the previous Cleared Save or used a new slot. But what is important is that you keep loading the new Cleared Save and that the same thing was done on all Cleared Saves prior, maybe this is where you're problem has occurred.

Maybe your saves are all mixed up and forgot which is which, or didn't piggyback them all correctly.

There are a lot of save slots to use and I would admit, even now I get mixed up when looking at them.

What I do though and advise is to keep Memory Slot 1 for any random saves you want and then use Memory Slot 2 for all your KEY saves. You know to stay away from Slot 2 then and it keeps your KEY saves more organised.

I've also been merging the Star Levels with all the Continue+ with endings reloads so it makes it naturally easier to see which was the last Cleared Save as my it's always the save with the higher Star Level. 

I think the majority (as it's what's advised mostly everywhere) do a NG, then a full NG+ and then finish the remaining endings and party afterwards.

But there are very specific spots and if you plan the story correctly that you can get like 8 very strategic saves that you can just Continue+ and also get 2-6 Star Levels at the same time. And with the 10 extra Endings you need, provides a opportunity too big to waste!!

Another thing is the Shiny Materials for Rainbow Weapons. Everywhere advises to get these specific summons, set up, and then try to farm them, like everywhere advises this. BUT, Continue+ actually dupes items and if done in the right places, you can duplicate the 5-10 items you find that can actually disassemble into Shiny materials!!!

It's crazy how unoptimal the guides out there are, I think they all say that getting Shiny materials from disassembling is a complete waste of time, but then heres me with like 8+ of each Shiny material, 30+ Rainbow Shells without even doing anything, just a very helpful by-product of strategic saves and strategic pickups!!! xD

This weekend by the way if anybody is wondering for when my guide should start going up. It's all routed now, just going to give it 1 more platinum run to proof check it.

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 3