Why do I get defeated when clearly about to win?

I failed killing bandits twice because of one move they make. I was about 45 points ahead, about to win with 3 cards left but suddenly they make a move and it’s like red magic that attacks one of my cards.

Then the following message pops up:

”DEFEAT: Meve’s army was overpowered and forced to retreat to safer ground. From there, the queen planned her next moves…” 

I’m very new to the game, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong to get defeated cause the points say otherwise. ?

• 1 year later...

This is a very old post but i want to try explaining how i understood it in case this helps anyone - just got this game and loving it so far.

There are several types of Gwent battles. The one with the bandits is a "special" battle that has a specific requirement to win, there are numerous called "puzzles". Such as "win with reducing opponents cards strength to 1", "eliminate x amount of opponents cards", "destroy the horse carriages, don't let them escape" and so on. There, you don't simply win by beating the opponents points but its tied to a requirement, even if you technically could win by points. The requirement always pops up on the left explaining how you can win.

Edited by majo334