I think the simulator genre has gone far enough

36 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

If you think about it, many games can be considered simulators of something.  They just don't all use the word "simulator" in the title. Call of Duty? Military simulator. Grand theft auto? Criminal simulator.

True. But on the other hand the point is they don't call themselves Simulators. COD and GTA are over the top, yes, but that's fine. When there's Simulator in the name I'm expecting at least a little realism. I watched a few let's plays and placing road blocks in the middle of nowhere and cars piling up isn't realistic. You would block streets at intersections without cars being able to drive to the construction zone. So no, I won't buy Road Maintenance Simulator, even though it caught my curiosity at first (especially because it features PS5's trophy progression system), but will buy the next GTA. (As long as it isn't labeled "Simulator")

Edited by woggly4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Not until we get PlayStation Store Quality Control Simulator, it's not. Come to think of it, such a concept may well only exist in simulation...

I would absolutely buy this if someone made it and it was actually playable and decent. Would be satisfying to reject 5 minute platinums with zero creativity, asset flips, or otherwise horribly broken games, if only in a simulation. 

But on topic, I have an odd love of simulation games too, but only those that look interesting to me. I’ve personally never wanted to do road maintenance, so think I’ll be skipping this one. ? 

• Like 1

Goat Simulator is about as far as I go.

Gran Turismo is often considered a driving simulator but it's a proper racing franchise that is high quality and has satisfied fans for decades. You might argue games like Railway Empire and Cities: Skylines are simulators, but they're full on strategy games that offer plenty of good content.

These simulators that are intended as a joke are almost always low quality meant to cater to the lowest common denominator.

• Like 2

Thing is, they are usually eather not complex enough to be called simulators (except maybe some farming ones or microsoft's flight one) or try to be a FuNnY one but joke was old in 2010s and goat simulator was all we needed to laugh at "genre". 

Edited by WiktorM101