Claptrap Trophy Question

I see for the Plat, it is recommended to start with Claptrap because of the associated trophies. However, I really don’t like playing as him (I think I've gotten mine to level 6). If I play with another character, I know it is an estimate, but about how long will it take to grind out the Claptrap trophies? Im early game and trying to decide if I should just take the plunge with Claptrap or get his trophies later. Thanks for any advice!!

Edited by cobaltTangerine

Once you almost complete your TVHM, you can join other players high lvl lobbies and lvl up any other character quite quickly. Should only take 4-5 hours to get to lvl 25 this way. There are still about 3-5 lobbies at lvl 45-50 a day so you can likely find someone. If you are lucky as i was, they might be well equipped to instakill the enemies in the Sterwin (endgame) sidequest. If so, this could be done in about 20-60 mins.

Edited by ryleythecool
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cobaltTangerine said:

I see for the Plat, it is recommended to start with Claptrap because of the associated trophies. However, I really don’t like playing as him (I think I've gotten mine to level 6). If I play with another character, I know it is an estimate, but about how long will it take to grind out the Claptrap trophies? Im early game and trying to decide if I should just take the plunge with Claptrap or get his trophies later. Thanks for any advice!!

You can't do most of Claptrap's Action Skill trophy until he's around Lv35 and you have enough skill points to max out 1 tree so you're looking at roughly 20hrs+ of game time and potentially 1.5 playthroughs if you play legit but due to the RNG nature of his action skill, you could potentially spend even more hours trying to get certain attacks to happen. If you have someone power level you in UVHM using the Guardian, Guardians side mission, you can hit max rank in 1-2hrs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I started the game with Jack, got to level 11 and saw the Claptrap recommendation in the guide. With Jack, I breezed through the boss Deadlift (the boss with all the jump pads) but dropped 5 or 6 times with Claptrap before I finally beat him. That was when I got concerned with the Claptrap route. But after watching a few youTube videos and getting a decent understanding of the Boomtrap skill tree, as well as the weapons that best go with this skill tree, I think I'll just stick it out with Claptrap. I haven't gotten any Cryo weapons yet and that appears to be the route to go, along with a Ravager.

• Like 1

Yeah, I played the PS3 version and PS4 version of this game and really disliked being forced to play as Claptrap as well.

On the plus side, pretty much all of his offensive skills are usable and some of them actually pretty great (PirateShip, Gunzerker)

On the down side, sometimes you end up with useless crap like rubber ducky.

You also have more resistance to elemental damage as claptrap, except for Corrosive which will hurt you more.

And, the fact that you can't suffocate is also pretty nice.

Did my level 50 run with Athena though on the PC, and had so much more fun playing with her.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cobaltTangerine said:

Thanks for the replies! I started the game with Jack, got to level 11 and saw the Claptrap recommendation in the guide. With Jack, I breezed through the boss Deadlift (the boss with all the jump pads) but dropped 5 or 6 times with Claptrap before I finally beat him. That was when I got concerned with the Claptrap route. But after watching a few youTube videos and getting a decent understanding of the Boomtrap skill tree, as well as the weapons that best go with this skill tree, I think I'll just stick it out with Claptrap. I haven't gotten any Cryo weapons yet and that appears to be the route to go, along with a Ravager.

Good choice. This is the way to go.

I didn’t like playing as Claptrap very much initially myself, but Claptrap actually ends up being a fucking beast after you’ve levelled up a bit. If you go with a boomtrap explosive build and obtain some decent explosive weapons (especially a good shotgun) you can do insane damage later in the game while gunzerking and spamming pirate ships. He starts out kinda shitty, but by late game he’s one of the most fun offensive characters to play.

Not to mention you’ll save a good 10-20 hours in the long run. Not only do you have to level Claptrap way up for his action skills, but there’s also a lot of rng with a couple of the abilities that might take quite awhile before you get lucky and see one in combat.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Good choice. This is the way to go.

I didn’t like playing as Claptrap very much initially myself, but Claptrap actually ends up being a fucking beast after you’ve levelled up a bit. If you go with a boomtrap explosive build and obtain some decent explosive weapons (especially a good shotgun) you can do insane damage later in the game while gunzerking and spamming pirate ships. He starts out kinda shitty, but by late game he’s one of the most fun offensive characters to play.

Not to mention you’ll save a good 10-20 hours in the long run. Not only do you have to level Claptrap way up for his action skills, but there’s also a lot of rng with a couple of the abilities that might take quite awhile before you get lucky and see one in combat.

Thanks for the detailed reply and the info! Claptrap it is. I'm pretty confident I understand how to roll with him now.

3 hours ago, MsVelvet said:

I'm also pretty sure u need to be in co op for at least 1 of the action skills to trigger. The 1 where he becomes a nurse n revives. A teammate needs to be down n it's rng if that will be the 1 that triggers.

It's funny, I was just playing with 2 other Claptraps and they kept using the action skill whenever someone would go down. I was wondering what they were doing, but this makes sense now. There are actually 2 that require coop, one for a dead partner and one for a below 100 health/dead partner. Anyway, had no idea until your post. Thanks for the info!!

On 2022-04-18 at 1:44 PM, cobaltTangerine said:

It's funny, I was just playing with 2 other Claptraps and they kept using the action skill whenever someone would go down. I was wondering what they were doing, but this makes sense now. There are actually 2 that require coop, one for a dead partner and one for a below 100 health/dead partner. Anyway, had no idea until your post. Thanks for the info!!

Yeah these are the rng ones i was referring to that can really extend the time you have to play with Claptrap. I had a real difficult time triggering those actions and ended up having to grind it out with a 2nd controller because they just wouldn’t show up in normal co-op play. Iirc it took a few hours and was pretty annoying. One of the reasons it’s just better to play as Claptrap from the start and hope you get them naturally.

• Like 1

You only need to be lvl 25 to get this trophy as you can just respec for the other skill trees. For the 2 coop skills, i only needed the nurse/healing one. Also a good tip, when you first 'purchase' a new action skill for claptrap, your next activation will be that skill. If you get fast lvled to lvl 25 in an online lobby, you can just keep activating the base action skills immediately upon lvling up so its very easy to trigger all of the different action skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryleythecool said:

You only need to be lvl 25 to get this trophy as you can just respec for the other skill trees. For the 2 coop skills, i only needed the nurse/healing one. Also a good tip, when you first 'purchase' a new action skill for claptrap, your next activation will be that skill. If you get fast lvled to lvl 25 in an online lobby, you can just keep activating the base action skills immediately upon lvling up so its very easy to trigger all of the different action skills.

In that case, I stand corrected :).