Why do you still have a PS3 and use it?

HamiTosh

Same as you mostly, there's still games on the PS3 I want to play.  Not just backlog either, "new" games too.  And yea, the controller is real nice too.  I still have the same one that came with it and works fine.  Don't know what the battery life is, but it's a lot longer than the DS4.  Not to mention the lifespan, I've gone through 3 DS4s to the one DS3 and just from normal gameplay too.

I like the PS4 themes over the XMB.  I've had To Zanarkand as my theme since I've had the PS4, only switched out to Chrono Cross a couple weeks ago.  I do like how you could get new backgrounds with trophies though, like in FFXIII.

Edited by Ilzakia
  • Like 1

I still have a PS3 hooked up, and it gets fired up once in a while.

I wouldn't say I play it a huge amount nowadays, and I can't recall the last time I actually bought a PS3 game, but I still have a big stock of unplayed digital games I bought back in the day - or received via PS+, and once in a while the mood will strike, and I'll want to go back to one of them, and like knowing I have that option available. Looking at my profile, I played 5 games on PS3 last year, which isn't much, but still a decent amount of play for a 15 year-old system!

It helps that a Duel-shock 4 can be synched to the PS3, so I don't need to have the old controllers lying around, as I must admit, I do find the PS3 controller quite hard to go back to now - it feels so small compared to the Duelshock 4 / Duelsense! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I still have a PS3 hooked up, and it gets fired up once in a while.

I wouldn't say I play it a huge amount nowadays, and I can't recall the last time I actually bought a PS3 game, but I still have a big stock of unplayed digital games I bought back in the day - or received via PS+, and once in a while the mood will strike, and I'll want to go back to one of them, and like knowing I have that option available. Looking at my profile, I played 5 games on PS3 last year, which isn't much, but still a decent amount of play for a 15 year-old system!

It helps that a Duel-shock 4 can be synched to the PS3, so I don't need to have the old controllers lying around, as I must admit, I do find the PS3 controller quite hard to go back to now - it feels so small compared to the Duelshock 4 / Duelsense! 1f604.png

Same feeling going back from DS4 to DS3 is a different world, especially as for me in sweat plays the PS3 controller can lose grip as It doesnt have that anti slippery coating like the DS4

• Like 1

I think I've played more PS3 games so far this year than any year since I got my PS4. A mix of reasons:

1) I'm doing a challenge to clear all my E ranks from my profile. That includes a bunch of PS3 games.

2) I still have games on PS3 I haven't played and might want to.

3) My PS4 developed a bit of an overheating problem. Still works but too much usage in a short time can cause it to turn itself off, so I like to mix it up between consoles to avoid that.

4) I prefer using my PS3 as a dvd/blu-ray player.

Still use my Vita too, good when I want to play something while watching TV. And in all honesty I'm happier going back than I am in trying to get a PS5, I'll happily wait years before getting one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nauticus87 said:

I think I've played more PS3 games so far this year than any year since I got my PS4. A mix of reasons:

1) I'm doing a challenge to clear all my E ranks from my profile. That includes a bunch of PS3 games.

2) I still have games on PS3 I haven't played and might want to.

3) My PS4 developed a bit of an overheating problem. Still works but too much usage in a short time can cause it to turn itself off, so I like to mix it up between consoles to avoid that.

4) I prefer using my PS3 as a dvd/blu-ray player.

Still use my Vita too, good when I want to play something while watching TV. And in all honesty I'm happier going back than I am in trying to get a PS5, I'll happily wait years before getting one.

I never got a console on lauinch, for the ps3 i also waited for the slim as i didnt have much space in my bed room.I was happily gaming on ps3 while most friends - mainstreamers- right up bought the ps4 and werent really playing it

Have plenty of games on it I have yet to play, plus it doesn't really bother me that it's an "old console" with "old games". If anything, that actually draws me towards it. I collected hundreds of games for it (both in physical and digital format) when it was easily possible for me to acquire many and, as a result of that, I have a veritable background of games I'd like to play and clear at some point. Granted, I try to use my PS4 and my Vita too, but I often end up gravitating more towards one or another for extended times.

Anyways, at least out of my home consoles, both my PS3 & PS4, they do get plenty of attention from me on a regular basis. One of my PS3s (I actually have two of them for boosting purposes) has trouble with reading game discs due to, most likely, a very worn-out laser at this point. I already got the spare parts to fix it but I haven't gotten around to actually fixing the thing due to other complications. But yeah, I love my PS3. It's old, it's clunky, it's janky, but it has some great games that still procure me with a lot of fun. ^_^

• Like 2

I have no reason to part with the Playstation 3 - in fact, the reasons for having one only increase, not to mention the dozens of games I missed and some exclusives. Actually, I'm afraid the Playstation 3 Online connection is discontinued/trophy syncing affected as I want to get a lot of platinum and complete a lot of games there.

there are few games that interest me to buy a Playstation 5, like Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Returnal. But overall, it's the most "meh" console in history for me.

1) Has a great library of games 

2) Lots of hidden gems to be found 

3) Gives me a lot of nostalgia (some really unforgettable co-op moments/games and meeting great people)

I actually got a PS4 at launch but I've never really played it very much. I've always preferred the PS3. Unlike most people, my PS4 is the console collecting dust. It might sound strange, but I kind of like the way games looked back then. Each PS3 game sort of looked unique and played differently from others. Nowadays, I feel as though every game almost looks too clean and polished (if that makes sense). They all look and feel the same which is a shame. 

I've heard people tell me that I should move on from PS3 and get a PS5 but I'm perfectly fine with what I have. Sure, the PS3 is old and clunky but it still gets the job done. And yes, the PS5 has better features and faster load times and whatnot but that isn't why I purchase consoles in the first place. To me, the priority is the games they have to offer. As of currently, the PS5 does not impress me in this area. I have no problems waiting a bit longer if I have to. 

Back when trophies were first introduced on the PS3, I was quite interested in them. I told myself that I would collect trophies on the PS3 but I wouldn't push myself to continue getting them on the PS4 and subsequent consoles. This is still my plan. While I do still enjoy trophy hunting on the PS3, I do want to go back to primarily playing games that genuinely interest me once I have finished my seemingly never-ending PS3 backlog. Like everything else, this moment in time will come to and end, so I am just enjoying the little time I have left with it. 

• Like 1

Cuz PS3 is awesome! :>

There are still some games that never received remasters or re-releases such as Socom 4, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Sly Collection, ModNation Racers, Heavenly Sword, Folklore to name a few.

Free online is a plus as well and it has one of my favorite UIs of any console. 

Most importantly, it introduced us to trophies!!! :D 

I love PS3.

• Like 2

During that generation I main'd Xbox 360 and only had a PS3 briefly for about a year so I could play some of the bangers from back then (MGS4, InFamous, Heavy Rain, Uncharted etc). I missed out on a lot of hidden gems from that era, and just last Christmas I picked up a used PS3 slim off of eBay for a really good price so I can add some of those gems to my trophy collection. Plus as others have mentioned most physical PS3 games I've seen are pretty cheap online and in retro shops now a days which doesn't hurt either. Also with Sony almost shutting down the store for PS3/Vita last year it gave me even more motivation to pick one up just in case they decide to pull that shit again I'll already have all the games I need for it. 

O_o I never knew this was even an option! Learn something new every day, thanks Doc ?

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It helps that a Duel-shock 4 can be synched to the PS3, so I don't need to have the old controllers lying around, as I must admit, I do find the PS3 controller quite hard to go back to now - it feels so small compared to the Duelshock 4 / Duelsense!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

O_o I never knew this was even an option! Learn something new every day, thanks Doc 1f44c.png

Yeah - they didn’t seem to publicise it much when the function was added (think it was in the last few years - definitely a late addition) - I got turned onto the knowledge by someone else on here, so this is me karmically paying it forward, I guess!

There’s a small handful of games where it doesn’t fully work - R&C Nexus was one for me - it worked mostly, but the :l2::r2: buttons didn’t, so it’s worth still keeping at least one DS3 around…

…but aside from that, it’s a great feature - really cuts down the “downgrading” feel of going back - as I really think the controller is one area that the later generations improved a lot over the PS3 one!

• Like 1

I've finished (or dropped) everything I want to play on PS3 now, as far as native PS3 games go. Still see myself playing it for the next few years however with the PS1 and PS2 classics I have in my backlog. I'm currently playing Suikoden 3 and the Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

If I could play these games on something newer, I likely would, just for the sake of convenience of having less consoles connected to my TV at once. I currently have 8 consoles hooked up and it'd be nice to reduce that amount, but I'm extremely stubborn about keeping my consoles out and connected to my TV until I'm 100% done with them and their backlogs.

• Like 1

I was a very casual gamer during the PS3 days, so I missed out on some great games. I would like to retire my PS3 sooner rather than later though because I fear that Sony will stop supporting trophy syncing in the not too distant future.

As far as old consoles go, I plan to play my Vita until Sony removes trophy syncing. I'm one of the few(?) people that actually plays it when I'm not home.

Edited by Yuber6969
  • Like 3

For me, it's about the games. 

I still have some games i wanna play, that are on ps3 :) 

I did sell my original ps3, but bought 2 used with a stack of games and 4 original controllers (a collected deal for all of it) for next to nothing, maybe like 50$. Can't remember exactly. 

Now that i have the system again, and some games, i think ill hold on to it forever. No need to sell, since the investment was so low :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

I was a very casual gamer during the PS3 days, so I missed out on some great games. I would like to retire my PS3 sooner rather than later though because I fear that Sony will stop supporting trophy syncing in the not too distant future.

As far as old consoles go, I plan to play my Vita until Sony removes trophy syncing. I'm one of the few(?) people that actually plays it when I'm not home.

I hope that doesnt happen, literally one of the reasons why I would play PS3 is for creating memories through trophies, so I can reminisce later in future about what games I played.

If it was after me they can remove the messaging and store but leave trophy syncing in place.

• Like 2

I like to use my (now third - the consoles are unfortunately not the most robust) PS3 every now and then. My most recent platinum is even from a PS3 game :) It's the same reasons that others have mentioned above: to finish games that I started but didn't finish. I also like the user interface and the media player capabilities. I really liked Vidzone back then - shame it's no longer available.

As someone in his 30s, I think it's no surprise that I cling more to the X360/PS3 era of gaming. Was going thru college at the time and didn't know nearly as much as I do now. Looking back, I truly feel it was the last time developers in big gaming companies were still allowed some leeway. The PS5 generation is mostly big budget AAA titles and smaller indie titles, with little in-between. Not to mention the barrage of remakes and remasters, which are really getting old at this point.

I played thru X-Men Origins: Wolverine last month and it really reminded me what I miss from the X360/PS3 era. Good old school style gameplay that wasn't politicized or monetized, although this era marked the beginning of monetization. Unfortunately a number of PS3 games and even Vita games are now spiking in price, likely due to their rarity. X-Men Origins: Wolverine along with Shadows of the Damned and Splatterhouse are basically stuck on the PS3. There's no Steam version as far as I'm aware of and you can't play these on PS Now. There's a bunch of hidden gems on both the PS3 and X360 that a lot of people don't know about... that I feel are worth playing.

I remember playing Dante's Inferno a decade ago on the X360, and while not as grand or epic like God of War, I had fun with it. Looking forward to playing it on the PS3. Really wish there were more games like this, instead of some of the trash in today's arsenal.

• Like 1

I actually just recently beat the last games in my PS3 backlog (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Resistance 2). I still have the console hooked up and haven't thought of packing it up and storing it somewhere. It's nice to know I can just turn it on any time I feel like playing something on it.