Why do you still have a PS3 and use it?

HamiTosh

Still have games to play. My backlog for my PS3 isn't super huge anymore (16 games), the only reason I don't jump on it often are 1. I have a PS5 now, so it's hard NOT to want to play PS5 games. 2. My PS4 backlog is nearly 100 games deep, my focus tends to be on that more. and 3. like 14 of those 16 games require multiple playthroughs and Hard/Very Hard difficulties. I have to be in the mood for that. Though I definitely don't play it as much as I should, it's been like once or twice a year now.

To top it all off, I just bought a Vita and a Switch...so that just adds more reason not to get on the PS3 as often. I love the system, it's just a perfect storm of a reasons I don't cater to it much anymore. 

I still have mine, in fact I'm trying to complete a few old games on it to increase my completion %. Once I'm done with that I'll probably never touch it again, but I will probably keep it as I tend to keep my consoles. I still have the PS2 in my parents house and my old Nintendo 3DS and PSP in my drawer, even though I never use them

I have about 11 PS3 games in my backlog still. I think there are a handful more that I want to snag at some point, but I am trying to work through my unplayed purchases before committing to any more. I don't think I'd ever be willing to give up my PS3 even when those are finished. I loved the console - it was my first foot in the door to trophy hunting and playing games with friends.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yuna said:

I have about 11 PS3 games in my backlog still. I think there are a handful more that I want to snag at some point, but I am trying to work through my unplayed purchases before committing to any more. I don't think I'd ever be willing to give up my PS3 even when those are finished. I loved the console - it was my first foot in the door to trophy hunting and playing games with friends.

I actually made my backlog a little bigger again hahah, just buying used games for 6€/game,cant say no to that.

Yeah the time and memories with the PS3 are unforgettable.

Back then when it wasnt really about graphic-whoring,mtx,online fees.

Plus I just measure the power consumption of my slim it uses way less power than my pro .

PS3 ~80-85 W

PS4 PRO ~120-160 W (Especially on boosted and upscaled games)

• Like 1

Still got games to play on it, Currently I’d say my backlog of games on that system is about 30+, But most I bought a few years back because they were cheap so figured I’d buy it in case I wanted to play them, But if I don’t it won’t matter to me to much most are not priority a few are though but still I would like to finish most of them but I probably won’t since I got a way bigger backlog on my PS4, I’m currently playing on my PS3 finishing off a few.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:02 PM, HamiTosh said:

When it was clear that PS4 wouldnt support PS3 games, I held unto my PS3.

I still have a huge  backlog that I created (intentionally), since here in Germany you can buy PS3 games used dirt-cheap, like some games under 5 €.

Plus the online was free which was nice, ok yeah there were online passes for games, so if you bought a used game they charged you like 10€ but this was far cheaper than

60€ (No I dont care about "free" games a month or cloud storage).

Also the first years of the PS4 played a big role of why I wouldnt rush to the store to sell my PS3 for dirt,there were no titles that interested me, mostly (still to this days) there is this big practice of remastering games, I wouldnt buy same games on ps4 which I have on ps3 already(later did for a small buck tho).

Throughout the life cycle of  the ps3 Uncharted and GTA V kept me on the console for thousands of hours,impressive what the console could handle at that time.

Ah yeah durability, of course my ps3 freezed on some games but then I turned it off and on, but my then launch ps4 was a turbine, got too hot the controllers(still) brake fast, whereas my DS3 was solid for  atleast 4-5 years, my DS4 need to be replaced after max 2 years....

You got in love with the XMB like me? Well God forbid the menu on PS4 which is throwing you from one window into another.

The 300€ for my PS3 slim was the best investment for a  teenager back then

My friend regretted when he sold his ps3, I told him before that graphics and all the fancy-shmancy  are not the most important part., then he bought back another ps3 to play again.

Guys dont forget to take care of your PS3 dust,give it enough air circulation  and cover it with a towel when its off.

Great post

I recently bought 2 refurbished limited edition models from Japan, One Piece and FF13. Because I do have a large library and still play PS3. Both now have a 1TB drive installed and the condition is almost mint. I'm that anal about my consoles that I now have 4 working ps3's, But you can never bee too sure right?

• Like 1

I just got my first PS3 just a few months ago, didn't really have any games for it at that time apart from a few that were PS3/PS4 crossbuy but I wanted one so I'd have every console that you can earn trophies on (PS3, PS4, PS5 and PS Vita).

41 minutes ago, savageamusement said:

I've been buying PS3 games recently and still tempted to buy a back up console.

PS3 was and still is an incredible console, my plan is to stick with PS4 and previous consoles as I have no real interest in the PS5 nytime soon.

Yeah the biggest plus for PS5 is insane fast loading of data,but tell u honestly?

I dont really care,if i know GTA 4 is gonna load 2 mins into the game im just gonna get a cup of tea or stretch myself.

but behold the loading advantage doesnt really matter anymore as soon as u start to play online with other people on PS4 with HDD...poof fast loading

• 1 year later...

I play my PS3 nearly every week. This month I've played it every single day! 

I cleaned up all my MP trophies in the last 2 years but I still have like 80 single player games in the backlog to eventually play!

Another reason I love the PS3 is because the leaderboards are way better due to a lack of shovelware plats. Nearly every game on PS3 has a well rounded trophy list. Even though there are maybe 20 "easy" trophy lists which each still require you to actually complete the games, the leaderboards are a lot better due to the competitive nature of it.

My goal is to eventually hit the top 20 PS3 gamers but it will take a few more years to get there!

• Like 2