TERA Official PC Server Shutdown - June 30, 2022 / Console Version Unknown As To How It Will Be Affected

POEman553

The publishers FAQ and other social media pages state that only the PC version is shutting down at the moment.

I believe the console and PC versions of the game have different publishers but seeing as it is Bluehole's, the developer for both versions, choice to stop working on the game and halt services, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Tera servers will eventually close on consoles.

• Like 2

There's been a ton of shenanigans around publishers and who owns the rights for PC and console versions. Will definitely replay the game to 100% before this date, but the PS4 side might not be affected unless confirmed directly.

• Like 1

I've never played a proper MMO before, is this worth playing and getting the plat before the possible shutdown? Is it easy to learn, soloable, etc?

Thanks for the honest replies, I think I'll leave this one, FFXIV is definitely on my list. Good luck anyone going for the plat.

Edited by Kamurotetsu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kamurotetsu said:

I've never played a proper MMO before, is this worth playing and getting the plat before the possible shutdown? Is it easy to learn, soloable, etc?

If you can get/buy a Level 65 Scroll, it’s definitely doable. Everything in the game minus 3 of the end world bosses (and potentially the two final dungeon trophies, I never ran those dungeons alone, but you can queue/match for them at level 65-though it might take over an hour to match with a group) you need for the last two trophies is simple to solo at level 65 with the proper gear.  

As for if it’s worth playing....if you’ve never played an MMO, probably not-it’s fairly dated. And without the scroll, quite grindy once you reach level 40 (you need to get to level 65 to unlock all level-based trophies). The story is mindless, but the combat is decent. 

Unless you really like the designs of some of the races in this game, there are likely better free MMOs for PS4 out there that aren’t (potentially) about to shut down.

I haven’t played any more recent ones that I would recommend over this one (I do NOT recommend Skyforge), so I’ll leave that to others. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Kamurotetsu said:

I'd suggest a P2Play or sub-based MMOs if you haven't played any before. As you can imagine free MMOs tend to be heavy on monetization; it's not a bad thing, and might be something that you very well could prefer - but I'd look into more sophisticated MMOs (ESO and FFXIV are my top suggestions).

I have only played Tera a few years ago, but I logged in recenrlty just to check it out, and even as a level 1 character my skills bar has already been riddled with skills and actions - not a very beginner-friendly experience to figure a ton of things out. That's why more premium MMOs tend to have a more fleshed-out flow, where you are slowly introduced to mechanics one by one.

Edited by Sydoki
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sydoki said:

I'd suggest a P2Play or sub-based MMOs if you haven't played any before. As you can imagine free MMOs tend to be heavy on monetization; it's not a bad thing, and might be something that you very well could prefer - but I'd look into more sophisticated MMOs (ESO and FFXIV are my top suggestions).

Can’t speak to FFXIV, but I played a bit of ESO on PC and despite liking The Elder Scrolls franchise quite a bit (Morrowind is my favorite), never quite got a feel for it. IMO, it’s less MMO beginner-friendly than Tera. And the trophy list for it on PS4 is intimidating AF. 

That being said, I’d probably attempt it again on PS4 (I wanted to like it) if I could justify perpetually paying for a PS Plus subscription (unfortunately, I cannot ATM). 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 4

I don't think the console version will be shut down at the same time. The development of the PC version was done by Bluehole Studio, which is now a subsidiary under KRAFTON, and it's a development team directly under KRAFTON that develops and publishes the console version. And there have been no announcements from the official channels of the console version regarding this shutdown. This following screenshot is from the Steam forums:

giwXoC.jpg

Even the official announcement on the korean site of the developer just explicitely mentions the PC version and no console version: https://playtera.co.kr/news/notice/914

Official site for the console version: https://tera-console.com/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StarWolf3000 said:

I don't think the console version will be shut down at the same time. The development of the PC version was done by Bluehole Studio, which is now a subsidiary under KRAFTON, and it's a development team directly under KRAFTON that develops and publishes the console version. And there have been no announcements from the official channels of the console version regarding this shutdown. This following screenshot is from the Steam forums:

giwXoC.jpg

Even the official announcement on the korean site of the developer just explicitely mentions the PC version and no console version: https://playtera.co.kr/news/notice/914

Official site for the console version: https://tera-console.com/

That's good to know but I would still recommend to just get the plat before the PC shutdown on 30th June to be sure.

Just last month they were giving a level 65 scroll for free, and right now they are giving another if you login for 25 days from 14th April to 13th May. There's not enough days for that if you start now but anyone interested should keep an eye on any kind of event like that. Maybe after 13th May there will be another of those scrolls to grab. It brings the completion time from 50 hours to 10.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2022 at 9:04 AM, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

I knew this will happen so I got the platinum last year , it's a great mmo pve game (for pvp not so much) and the platinum it's not hard I did all alone , just 4 bosses are a pain because they spend a lot of time respawning

Which is the class that you’ve used?

On 26/4/2022 at 7:35 AM, nojokaboom said:

I tried first creating my character as Slayer but it doesn't let me as I need to be level 40 first, is there a way to bypass that? 

Thats very weird, maybe they change the requirements for slayer as a starter( like wow with the death knight) but in my case i create a female elven slayer without any restrictions, maybe are the requirements at this moment

19 hours ago, UserNameButcher said:

Thanks i'll create my character today. Let's start this game and finish before the servers goes down. Still have a good amount of time.

Yeah its 70 hours platinum so it's better to start faster if anyone needs help at any time i can help all of you, because im going to install the game to keep pics, videos and memories because its sad when a game close like that :( and this is a good mmo

3 hours ago, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

Thats very weird, maybe they change the requirements for slayer as a starter( like wow with the death knight) but in my case i create a female elven slayer without any restrictions, maybe are the requirements at this moment

Yeah its 70 hours platinum so it's better to start faster if anyone needs help at any time i can help all of you, because im going to install the game to keep pics, videos and memories because its sad when a game close like that :( and this is a good mmo

I just add you as friend. Thanks for willing to help. And i´ll ask for help for sure. I'll just bought the coins and i'll exchange for the level 65 scroll.

2 hours ago, timpurnat said:

I recently got the platinum again on AS version. If you buy level 65 scroll, you can get the platinum in less than 15h. I was playing as Archer and I was able to solo everything except the lvl68 bosses. You can buy teleport scrolls for dungeons from a specialty store merchant in Velika. The only reason it takes 15h is because you need to rush the story to the level 51 quest "search and destroy" to be able to access Akasha's Hideout dungeon. For level68 bosses just spam in the chat for help and team up with a high gear level player, 90% of the time you will find someone and they will kill the boss in a few mins solo lol. I also recommend buying Village Altus and a travel journal or elite status which includes both. Makes boss hunting and story way easier and faster :)

I am only not sure if you can buy an lvl65 scroll if the game is not the same region as your account because it's a microtransaction and you need to buy it using real money. I got mine from an event a while ago. If you are really patient you can get one if you do 25 consecutive logins

I'll take a look on these. I didn't see how much cost the elite status. I didn´t decide which character i'll create yet. Brawler, Ninja or Archer.

Thanks for those tips.

• Like 1