PS and Xbox to “test” commercials ads in games

kidson2004

2 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

These companies are capitalizing on the gaming industry even more so now. This is outright crazy. 

There are many, many articles about PC and console game makers starting to integrate ads and eventually commercials into games as far back as the mid-90s. 

It’s been a thing for a long, long time. 

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

There are many, many articles about PC and console game makers starting to integrate ads and eventually commercials into games as far back as the mid-90s. 

It’s been a thing for a long, long time. 

And yet, it is an AWFUL idea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, evs_castro said:

And yet, it is an AWFUL idea.

everyone liked that

10 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Why?…… just…….why? 

and in the article, it’s states that Xbox is exploring the same thing. These companies are capitalizing on the gaming industry even more so now. This is outright crazy. 

at least is only to f2p games

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

it has to be a late april fools joke right?

that will be an asshole design if that happen and piss consumers up

How is this PS and Xbox? PS has done no such thing and has not come out promoting the idea. Only Xbox has officially stated this new feature. 

Free-to-play games

Well, at least it's not paid games, I suppose?

It's definitely not ideal, but if free-to-play games have to make money somewhere, so be it (even though I'm sure plenty already make enough with micro transactions). As long as they aren't insanely intrusive, hopefully this won't end up being too much of a nuisance.

I honestly don't really have much stake in this since I can't even remember the last time I played a F2P game. I'd defo be pissed if it happens in games I've paid for, but I kinda don't see that happening, that seems like far too large of a risk to take with the amount of backlash that'd result from that.

2 minutes ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

everyone liked that

I dont know a single person who liked having intrusive advertising on their games, its actually the opposite. Everyone I know tried to avoid ads either by finding a way to block them or surrendering and buying the "premium" version without it.

• Like 1

I had heard something about Xbox trying this out recently, but I didn't look into it too deeply. I don't really care if it's strictly in F2P games. Game is free, fine. I get it. And I'd like to believe that Sony and MS would know better than to try and pull this crap in a full price game, so I don't see this as anything to worry about to be honest. It's not really any worse than being bombarded with in-game ads for micro-transactions and season passes every time you boot up a F2P game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evs_castro said:

I dont know a single person who liked having intrusive advertising on their games, its actually the opposite. Everyone I know tried to avoid ads either by finding a way to block them or surrendering and buying the "premium" version without it.

I think they were being sarcastic...

7 minutes ago, Tolmancer said:

Microtransactions were only free to play.

This is the hill I will die on, if I get advertised to in my games I will not play games.  

4 minutes ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

Well if it happens, and is just F2P games, then I guess I'll stop playing those games. Hopefully a huge percent of players follow suit, in attempt to boycott it.

I’m with both of you. If I start getting pop-up ads or constantly pressured to watch ads for in-game currency in any game, I simply won’t play that game anymore. 

...Or someone more tech-savvy than I will come up with something that will block the ads without having to mod your console, and I’ll use that. 

• Like 1

If I have to play Devil's Advocate, if it is an add that pops at the corner screen or it shows up in a menu or somewhere during a pause, that is still acceptable if we have to resort to that as long as it doesn't mess with the flow of the game.

Now if it is an add that downright stops me in my gaming session and it forces me to look through adds, that is completely unacceptable, and I can't defend this your highness. You gamers are then obliged to call out this predatory practice.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

people overreacting. NBA 2K and SFV had ads which were hardly noticeable if i recall.

Not a big deal. Get over it.

Also if its only f2p games, it makes sense. 

I mean, I wouldn’t say a subject like this is something someone can just “get over”. Ads being placed into an increasing amount of video games would be a dramatic change in the gaming industry, let’s be honest. Plus, the ads seen in the games you mentioned might not even correlate with other games that implement them, so that point makes no sense.  

I do agree that if it’s just F2P games getting this implemented, it shouldn’t really matter too much. AAA games and the like having this idea implemented would be drastic though. 

Edited by HoorayForTyler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

everyone liked that

at least is only to f2p games

While this is true, I’ve been wondering if this’ll come to full paid games? It’s a horrible thought, but given how much success games have been, one has to wonder about this. 

• Like 2

Ugh, no thanks.

I’m ok with billboards or something in games that advertise real life stuff like in racing games but if it interrupts the game then they can just bugger off. And I’m sure AAA games will want a piece of the pie too. Nothing is safe if this catches on.

• Like 2

If they're playing an advert in a loading screen - fine. As long as it's not extending the time.

If it's in game, such as a board in a game on the wall etc, - fine. As long as it's not changing the game.

If it's in game or in a loading screen and affects my gaming - fuck you.

• Like 1