PS and Xbox to “test” commercials ads in games

kidson2004

8 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

while its annoying, its a free to play game, so it is what it is

when a company gives u something at no cost, its because YOU are the product

Microtransactions are made for these games. If it would be ads OR microtransactions it would be great but being real there will be both in-game.

Big gaming is borrowing mobile gaming ideas more and more. Next step is no quality control at all (even tho current in no perfect). Like steam library or even worse mobile one.

If this idea sticks they will put it in AAA titles. Then you will have to buy "Far Cry 11 Digital Gold Delux Edition (includes Season Pass and ad revomal)"

Edited by WiktorM101
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

While this is true, I’ve been wondering if this’ll come to full paid games? It’s a horrible thought, but given how much success games have been, one has to wonder about this. 

If it catches on, it absolutely will. Remember when loot boxes were only in FTP games? Remember when microtansactions were “cosmetic only?” 

This needs to be pushed back against, strongly, and quickly. 

• Like 3

There’s been much worse predatory practices in free to play games than adverts.  Pay to win, loot boxes, the list goes on. It’s a never ending cycle of how much bs they can cram in and how much they can squeeze out of the consumer.

Ads are more prevalent on mobile but it was just a matter of time before it trickled down to consoles. I quit free to play games long ago, despite how much money I had invested. That was one of the best gaming decisions I’ve ever made.

6 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

There’s been much worse predatory practices in free to play games than adverts.  Pay to win, loot boxes, the list goes on. It’s a never ending cycle of how much bs they can cram in and how much they can squeeze out of the consumer.

Ads are more prevalent on mobile but it was just a matter of time before it trickled down to consoles. I quit free to play games long ago, despite how much money I had invested. That was one of the best gaming decisions I’ve ever made.

I agree with you about FTP games being predatory, but I actually get enjoyment out of quite a few if they don’t bombard me with ads.

The thing is, over the years I’ve spent....next to no money on the FTP games I enjoy. Maybe a total of $50 or less over roughly 8 years. The few times I have spent money it was either to permanently unlock content (like, to unlock a full game) or, even less frequently, a permanent cosmetic item I was guaranteed to get and really wanted.

I’ve never spent a cent of real money on loot boxes, gachas, or other gambling mechanics. If I can’t earn a limited-time loot box/gacha character/item I want with in game currency I’ve grinded, I just miss out.

• Like 1

Imagine getting an ad for Genshin, in Genshin.  Or Amber comes out, "This domain brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends"

EDIT:  I said that as a joke, but what if they do hire the voice actors from the game you're playing.

Edited by Ilzakia
  • Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't some sports games have ads in the menus already? 

That isn't as bad as mid-game ads I guess, but even the menu ones are annoying. This is a slippery slope, but imagine you're playing a deep immersive RPG, after hundreds of hours of painstaking grind and countless lost party members you stand in front of door leading to the chamber of Akhalmut, the destroy of Zanzibar. He is the one that caused all of this misery, he is the one that killed your father and destroyed your village. There is no going back now. You open up your menu to ensure you and your party have your best gear on and out of the corner of your eye, you see it. It cannot be mistaken for anything else, as clear as day, that is The Lawnmover 3.0, the best shaver on the market, brought to you by the one and only Manscape. Give your balls a treat. Use code "To-hell-with-your-immersion" for 2% off of your next purchase.

Again, a slippery slope argument, but it makes you worried.

Edited by Letenko22
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ilzakia said:

Imagine getting an ad for Genshin, in Genshin.  Or Amber comes out, "This domain brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends"

EDIT:  I said that as a joke, but what if they do hire the voice actors from the game you're playing.

Oh dear God, Raid: Shadow Legends. Just checked, and yeah, that’s one I’ve never downloaded (and I’ve tried almost every free turn-based mobile rpg at some point). But out of sheer spite, I’ll never touch that game. I can still remember when around 50% of the YT videos I watched were “Sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends.” 

Maybe I’m just weird, but all the YT sponsorships/partnerships have the opposite of the intended effect on me-I’m usually just like “now I’m going to avoid your product like the plague.” 

And @Letenko22, much as that did make me laugh, I seriously never ever want to see something like that in the middle of a game. ??

• Like 3

This is why having "free games" every month on PS+, XBox Game Pass is a bad idea.

Free games have to make their money somewhere. Not just games though. Your favourite youtuber is probably scraping a living making your favourite videos, but with ads and sponsored content, it's how mobile games make money and has been for decades, soon it will be how many console games make their money. It's a sad future indeed.

Games like Killing Floor 2, patch in and out content all the time, whether it be Christmas themed related zombies, or whatever. At some point I see games like this patching in and out advertisements too. Fortnite is already doing stuff like this, although not necessarily related to advertising.

Whether it's NFTs, Battle Passes, Microtransactions and perhaps likely ads in games. Companies will pursue every possible avenue they can think of (and get away with) to make a consistent amount of stable money.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

LMAO I can only imagine the worst scenario at this point ?

You're sweating hard, 

You're adrenaline is through the roof,

You've grinded month's,

You're closing in on that sweet Super Meat boy platinum.. Just one more level for that no death run.

mid run while dodging sawblades and pretty much everything that gets you killed

* POOF * 

pepsi-wtf.gif

Drink some soda bitch!

RIP no death run

Edited by Deluziion90
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I mean, I wouldn’t say a subject like this is something someone can just “get over”. Ads being placed into an increasing amount of video games would be a dramatic change in the gaming industry, let’s be honest. Plus, the ads seen in the games you mentioned might not even correlate with other games that implement them, so that point makes no sense.  

I do agree that if it’s just F2P games getting this implemented, it shouldn’t really matter too much. AAA games and the like having this idea implemented would be drastic though. 

honestly if it happened across the board I'd get used to it. Anytime an ad arrived id go take a piss or grab a snack. Meh. If it happened mid cutscenes though, I would be mad.

I can't believe people are supporting this idea.

The industry has proven many times over that if you give them an inch they will take a mile. It starts off in sports games where the ads are only in the banners at the edge of the pitch/field. Then it moves into FtP games but we cant argue cos its FtP. Then they start cropping up in loading screens, it doesnt matter though its just a loading screen and then BAMN you're paying full price for a game hidden somewhere in an ad.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DizzyDavidson said:

I’m ok with billboards or something in games that advertise real life stuff like in racing games

yeah, thats actually kinda clever, make the ADS something like billboards or something creative, i dont wanna be playing a game, then have it suddenly stop to give me a fucking Word Cookies or Flying Gorilla ad or heaven forbid....a tiktok ad