Grand Prix events are horrible

AJ_Radio

I would consider myself as an decent driver in these kind of games and most challenges were first try, some of them 5 tries at most. But World 4 Grand Prix on Hard let my stuck there for at least 8 hours and I just wanted to cry and delete this game because it is absolutely down to luck. Eventually I beat world 4 and flew through the game somehow. I was so relieved.

I found it easier to use Team Shadow for the GPs. Be Omega and just feed your teammates your items. Hopefully Team Amy won't just snipe your first place out of nowhere. Had it not been for the randomness of the GPs, I could've done the platinum faster. It got to the point that I'll do Crash Team Racing over again than race with teammates in Sonic

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Can you boost to make this game easier? Or is it only couch co-op for your team? 

Couch coop only. I tried via share play, but I think due to my current ISP it was simply unplayable. 

And I totally agree with OP. 

Edited by Smashero

I got the plat 2 days ago & I can honestly say I only had problems with Chapters 5 & 6 GPs on Hard & Chapter 6 GP on Extreme. Here are my tips to make GP a little bit easier:

1. Be aggressive & spam Item Box Transfer (:circle:) to build you Team Ultimate. If your teammates are already holding weapons, try to hit a rival (they have red outline around them) to get Rival Takedown points.

2. Use a Technique character, 'cos they can drive on any surface. They are also good to cut corners with, 'cos most corners have some type of hazard around them (green sludge in castle tracks, quick sand in desert tracks, lava in volcanic caves etc.). Also try to drift around long corners as much as you can to get a little boost. My main was Silver & my mods were:

Front: Protector's Bow (flash)

Rear: Aero Spoilers (speed gauge)

Wheels: Peaceful Revolvers (speed gauge)

3. Learn shortcuts. Every track has at least one & they can give you big advantage. Most of the time, other teams will use normal route & if you use a shortcut, your teammates will follow you (if you are ahead of them).

4. Always save Team Ultimate for emergencies. If you are 1st place & are about to be hit by a lighting or rock pillars come out of the ground, then use Team Ultimate (:triangle:) to get out of trouble, otherwise save Team Ultimate for last stretch of 3rd lap. Some tracks are long & you can even do 2 Team Ultimates in 1 race.

I hope this helps you guys & remember just because you failed 1st time, that doesn't mean you'll fail  2nd time. It's all about practice & a little bit of luck. So good luck & don't give up!

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 4

That still doesn't change the sheer luck you need to beat the Grand Prix events. And I'm definitely not alone because I've looked at some threads on the PST.org forums and they were complaining about the same thing.

This is the last time I'm going to trust a trophy guide and assume they know what they're talking about.

• Like 1

Sonic Team Racing is just the hardest 4/10 platinum?

Seriously if they gave you like 3 tries after getting a bad placement in a race, then I'll understand how this game is rated a 4.

I certainly did underestimate this game thanks to the guide on here much like others have.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Unlike what most people say, you should actually use your team ultimate immediately.  When the ultimate is charged, you can't build towards the next one, so it's a waste not to use it  Every track is long enough to use it twice, some are long enough to use it three times. Never use the items, just transfer/request them over and over to build up the ultimate fast. Only use the item if it's a 3x item, and in that case use the first two charges immediately and then transfer.

Guide definitely doesn't tell you this. The same guide is on PST.org, and people there were complaining about it too.

I'll try this method and see if I don't get screwed by RNG quite so much.

35 minutes ago, Suicide_Tortuga said:

Sonic Team Racing is just the hardest 4/10 platinum?

Seriously if they gave you like 3 tries after getting a bad placement in a race, then I'll understand how this game is rated a 4.

I certainly did underestimate this game thanks to the guide on here much like others have.

Team Sonic Racing was March's PS Plus game and I myself like many others thought it would be a fairly easy racing game. Wrong. Although I still think Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed is by far the hardest of the Sonic racing trilogy, due to absolutely stupid trophy requirements (the trophy Team Sonic is one of the worst I've seen) and having a very high skill ceiling that you need to have if you want that platinum.

The individual races aren't that hard, it's the Grand Prix events that force you to start all over. Can't tell you how many times I got screwed in the last race and had to restart from the first race.

• 1 month later...

I just want to offer a little defence of sonic team racing and the guide writer. I’ve only been playing the game for two or three days, but I’m nearly done and I’m not buying this ( racing and Grand Prix) as completely down to random number generating. It’s just not true. And I also want to give a bit of credit to the guide writer as I’ve used knuckles the entire time and not had any problems at all on races or Grand Prix on either hard or expert. Only maybe restarting one Grand Prix so far in nearly two complete playthroughs. In fact, I’d agree with others, for some reason expert is much easier to win than hard. To the honourable gentleman who said boosting isn’t that frequent so don’t use a power character, I’d respectfully repute that. You can pretty much drift and boost the entire track of every single race, so having the power character is extremely useful, and as the guide writer suggests, this gives you an advantage in the races if you drift 80% of the race. No need to wait for the super boost, you can just keep using the first boost from the drift and you should decimate the field.

you have rear view option for rivals coming up behind, you can fire backwards on. We have a map of circuit that shows where rivals are in the race and we have all the team play mechanics. Utilising all of these things along with drifting boosts. I think it’s a false claim to suggest rng and rubber banding dominate this game. They don’t. At least not from what I’ve seen.

the challenges can be tricky to get platinum medals in. Like others, I’ve poured time into a couple of events that just felt like I was never going to beat....until I did and it felt great lol. The ones that took me the longest were two of the traffic attack ones. The one in either stage six or seven was easily the challenge I spent the longest on.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I don't think in my 20 years of gaming have I ever played a game with such fucking nonsensical mechanics. There is something seriously wrong with a game when you can lose no matter how well you do, just because your teammates perform poorly, you fucking fail. Fuck this pile of doo doo ass fuckass fuckshit.  

• Like 1