Really wanna play this game, but i'm scared.

Arzoden

So i have wanted to play this game for months now. Ever since i bought it on sale i have been very tempted to start it but when i go on here and hear what people say about it, it makes me really nervous to start it

Reasons for this is because i am not all that good at puzzle games.. I am not the worst but i am not great at all. I would class myself as just below average. What also scares me a little is all the endings there seems to be. I have this fear i might spend way to long on this game if i have to start a new game every time i get a ending to get the next ending. Because i am not even sure how long the game is, i have experience with grinding games despite them being long and grindy. But i don't search for the grindiest games on purpose if that makes sense?

I also cannot find a video guide for the platinum, witch is really bad for me personally if i get stuck at some point. I mean yes i could just go to the forums and look it up, however this is unsual for me to do so it's just scary to start this game overall..

My question to you guys who have already played it i guess would be this

~ Catherine Full Body ~

Is it a 100% Puzzle Game?

Does it require much backtracking?

Are you forced to start a new game many times?

Do you obtain different throphies based on your dialogue?

How many difficulty modes do you have to beat?

Edited by Arzoden
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

Is it a 100% Puzzle Game?

50% puzzles, 50% story and cutscenes, I'd say

Does it require much backtracking?

There's no going back, when you mess something up you'd need to reload a save or start from scratch.

Are you forced to start a new game many times?

It is technically doable in 4 playthroughs with strategic saves, but doing more is actually beneficial. When you play the different stages via replay mode using your in game phone, you can't save between levels of the same stage. So you can't play half of a stage and close the game when using replay. BUT subsequent playthroughs for endings or clearing stages can be sped up by a lot: 

- When you've got a gold prize in a specific difficulty and mode combination before, you can just skip the entire level and don't have to play it again

- All Cutscenes can be skipped and if you're going for the endings there's no need to watch every cutscene before the ending again. Most cutscenes are the same across playthroughs and story/cutscenes deviate more at the end of a playthrough.

Do you obtain different throphies based on your dialogue?

Yes, all endings and all "save character x" trophies depend on your dialogue choices. You should use a guide to save time (after a first blind playthrough). It is almost impossible to save all characters without looking up the answers in a guide.

How many difficulty modes do you have to beat?

Six. Classic levels on Easy, Normal, Hard and Remix on Easy, Normal, Hard.

My review and advice:

You don't have to be really good a puzzle games. I'm probably average or below average as well. You can use guides for 95% of the game although there's also a bit of randomness outside of Babel mode. Video guides can be found in the trophy guide on this site. They cover everything. It is a hard game. Everyone who finished the game said that. But it is definitely doable with persistency, discipline and video guides.

The trophy list will take around 70 hours to complete. This is a lot and especially going for all difficulty and mode combinations will test your patience. Babel in pairs mode wasn't that bad after going through all levels on hard and took only 3-4 hours. I finished them in pairs mode with my girlfriend who barely played 15 games in her entire life. But the gold prizes will take around 30 hours of playtime. If you don't follow guides for hard levels, Rapunzel, dialogue choices and strategic saves, you can easily add 30-50 hours depending on your puzzle skills.

This is what you can expect from your platinum journey:

4-10 playthroughs with skips and/or partial replays

192 gold prizes to earn (32 levels x 6)

128 Rapunzel levels (no time limit, but hard puzzles to solve without a guide)

4x 100-200 steps to climb without a guide in Babel. Do yourself a favor and complete them in pairs mode.

Overall, it was a very rewarding plat, but it took ages to finish and was pretty hard sometimes. You decide if you want to go for it :=)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arzoden said:

So i have wanted to play this game for months now.

Then nothing else matters.

There's only one reasonable thing to do, and you know what it is - you knew when you bought it, you knew when you posted the question, and you know now ?

Hope you have fun! ?

• Like 2

Babel is a joke in this version in coop as both players start with 3 double jump power ups if I recall correctly. The original babel stages were really fun and challenging to do on PS3 but on this version I pretty much beat all 4 stages in a few hours and it only took 2-3 tries on all of them.

Although easier, the platinum is a huge chore though because you need to gold every level SIX times. Overall, this is not a hard game at all using youtube guides to assist you for the story levels and Rapunzel stages (maybe a 6/10 at best, the last 2 story chapters can be a pain on hard difficulty). It is a pretty long game though. If you've never played Catherine and you're interested you should definitely go for it as the story is very unique.

The game also offers a 'rewind' ability in the story now that makes the levels a lot easier and you can totally cheese the boss attacks now. 75%+ of the platinum time will be on the El Dorado trophy.

You can skip previously played levels and you can save whenever you want so getting all endings is not a big deal. It does require multiple playthroughs though as there is 13 endings in this version.

• Like 1

My only advice, as someone who is also not great at puzzle games, take it easy. I went head first into the PS3 version back in the day, and some nights I was dreaming with block moving and tower climbing.

Luckily I never died lol.

Take your time, it sure is a cool experience.

• Like 3

It's one of the finest games ever produced, it's meant to make people uncomfortable. Playing with a partner you adore makes it hotter.

If you have good memory retention that's a benefit because you'll see some things you did in hard mode apply to some babel stages, and if you can re-apply on-the-fly that's an advantage. You don't see many videos because babel is random generated. Although with PS4 over PS3 there is the snappy mode now, and they added QoL things to sell the game again. Game is so long though.

• Like 2