Your platform for buying/selling games

AJ_Radio

We all know Amazon and eBay. Therefore I won’t cover those websites as I’m sure we’ve all used them extensively. 

There is Facebook Marketplace but that really only works if you happen to live in a suburb or city of decent size. 

I had a couple local game stores in my general area that dealt with retro games and consoles, unfortunately I haven’t been to either and I don’t know if they’re still around after the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Craigslist can be great for getting stuff much cheaper than what they’re normally priced. The big downside is it’s a crapshoot. It’s much like Facebook Marketplace. 

I’ve been wanting to do Game Trading (stickied thread) for a long time. I don’t know what platform is preferable for you guys on the internet, or whether you do some selling in person. 

I won’t do buying or selling outside of the United States because the shipping and handling is just too much. I’m even willing to part with some PS Vita physical games that I own.

• Like 3

I've started using Taobao here in China. It's been great for a lot of PS3 and Vita games. I'm actually expecting four games to arrive today. I also buy a few harder to get PS4 games, the most recent two have been Transformers Devastation and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan, as well as games that don't make it to the Australian PSN store

20 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Just be careful if you do eBay or Amazon. They may send you a 1099-K if you sell too much. 

There's a fee associated with a seller account, and I'm not willing to pay that fee just to sell a few games I own. The profit versus the cost isn't good enough.

• Like 1

I live in a pretty big town so FB Marketplace and Craigslist are very convenient avenues and I've gotten a lot of good stuff through both of those. I rarely sell, I mostly buy at least as far as video games are concerned. Everything I have listed on those for sale immediately got interest and I sold them right away but I suppose that's because of where I live. People will always try to haggle you and try and give you super low-ball offers so I just wait until somebody comes along that wants to give me what I want for it and somebody always does and it's always worked out. There's some shady folks on those sites so you have to be a little careful. 

Garage sales/flea markets are also pretty lucrative as far as getting good prices. Nothing beats garage sale/flea market prices still. The downside is it costs money and time to drive to these things and most cases you turn up empty. It's the thrill of the hunt I guess which is why I enjoy these the most when it comes to video game hunting and all that wasted time immediately is made up the second you find something really good. 

I've also got a few local video game stores but stores charge retail prices and in many cases more than ebay so in general if I'm looking for something specific, I'll just go right to ebay and buy it for the lowest 'buy it now' price I can find. I think ebay is the best place in general if you don't mind paying what it's worth. If you're selling, probably not as worth it unless you've got a lot of stuff that's worth a decent amount of money. I'd sell your bigger, higher-priced stuff on ebay, the smaller/cheaper stuff on Marketplace or Craigslist in a lot preferably as lots draw more interest in most cases than trying to sell common games individually. 

Someone is selling 20 PS5 games and the PS5 console on Craigslist who lives a hour away from me, for $1500. Much cheaper than what you'll ever find on eBay or Amazon. I just don't have that kind of money.

If I knew people would buy some games I have @mega-tallica then I would set up a seller account on eBay or Amazon. The problem is these games in particular that I want to sell are not in high demand and have probably never been in high demand. You can wait weeks or months for someone that's interested in buying the games at your price tag.

It's far easier for me to sell Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (I bought the physical copy that came with Modern Warfare Remastered) than to sell an old PS3 or PS4 game that only a select few people really know about. I can sell back X-Men Origins: Wolverine for what I paid for it, but do I want to pay the fee to make a seller account and how long am I willing to wait for someone to buy the game?

I've sold some stuff at local video game stores in the past, but that was years ago and these days it's probably just better to do Craigslist where you're likely to find more people who are buying or selling what you want.

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Someone is selling 20 PS5 games and the PS5 console on Craigslist who lives a hour away from me, for $1500. Much cheaper than what you'll ever find on eBay or Amazon. I just don't have that kind of money.

If I knew people would buy some games I have @mega-tallica then I would set up a seller account on eBay or Amazon. The problem is these games in particular that I want to sell are not in high demand and have probably never been in high demand. You can wait weeks or months for someone that's interested in buying the games at your price tag.

It's far easier for me to sell Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (I bought the physical copy that came with Modern Warfare Remastered) than to sell an old PS3 or PS4 game that only a select few people really know about. I can sell back X-Men Origins: Wolverine for what I paid for it, but do I want to pay the fee to make a seller account and how long am I willing to wait for someone to buy the game?

I've sold some stuff at local video game stores in the past, but that was years ago and these days it's probably just better to do Craigslist where you're likely to find more people who are buying or selling what you want.

That's the downside of ebay; the seller fees and taxes and S&H and all that. It's more designed for bigger sellers with a lot of stuff to sell, not so much the little guy. 

PS3 games are in decent demand right now, especially the ones that are locked on that console like X-Men is, so those could sell somewhat quickly, it's hard to predict. Of course, if you put it up cheaper than everybody else it'll probably sell faster but you'll take a loss on it. That's up to you, if you're looking for 100% return on investment, you will probably have to wait a bit before it sells like you said. No matter what platform you go with to sell though, you'd have that same problem if you're looking to make all your money back. 

It wouldn't hurt to throw it up on Craigslist and Marketplace and see what happens unless you've already tried and got no bites. The thing with those places too is nobody wants to pay you what it's actually worth so a game like X-Men, which is like a $40 game right now I think, if you do manage to get somebody to bite, they'll hit you back with like $20 if that. A local store surely will not give you what it's actually worth either. It depends how much return on investment you want really. Selling is always more difficult than buying. 

I try to buy most of the big AAA PS5 games physically from mostly Wal-Mart and if there's no other options Gamestop. I've tried pre-ordering games on Amazon but those asshole almost never have the games ready on launch day and you'll be waiting days before it actually gets to you in my experience. 

Vita & PS3 games I almost soley buy off of eBay or on rare occasions I'll hit up a couple of retro game shops around my city (Slackers/V-Stock) that have some gems from time to time.

I stopped selling my games around 5 years ago when I got a big boy adult job and could actually afford whatever games I want when I want them, since then I've gone full collector mode and I just keep everything. It's gotten to the point where I've basically had to stop buying games this year cause my backlog was getting too out of control. When I was selling games though it was mostly to people I knew in person or through FB marketplace which is surprisingly reliable if you're not buying/selling games to/from random crack-heads or anything like that. I keep a pistol in my car just in case, cause you know...'murica and cause some people are psychos and you can't be too careful lol. 

• Like 1

I live in the middle of nowhere South Carolina, so FB Marketplace, Craigslist and local game stores aren't an option (the nearest Game Stop is 30 minutes away).

My only real options are Wal-Mart, Amazon or eBay..also the Game Trading thread here on PSNP. Kinda weird that I don't use it more often, since I started the original thread over a decade ago.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, Pray_4_the_End said:

I stopped selling my games around 5 years ago when I got a big boy adult job and could actually afford whatever games I want when I want them, since then I've gone full collector mode and I just keep everything. It's gotten to the point where I've basically had to stop buying games this year cause my backlog was getting too out of control. When I was selling games though it was mostly to people I knew in person or through FB marketplace which is surprisingly reliable if you're not buying/selling games to/from random crack-heads or anything like that. I keep a pistol in my car just in case, cause you know...'murica and cause some people are psychos and you can't be too careful lol.

There's crack heads in every big American city dude. Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Modesto, Stockton, they all have crack heads and meth heads who more than likely hold firearms.

That's when you learn to avoid the poor, bad neighborhoods. Something to keep in mind when you do Craigslist. I've done business with random people in some pretty shitty neighborhoods. Complete with vicious, angry dogs, bad neighbors, and everything else that comes with living in poverty.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2022 at 2:22 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I think that price is expensive. Not sure about NA prices but in the UK they're essentially wanting full price for pre-owned games. 

Thats the major issue I've found trying to buy games from Marketplace people don't seem to understand that games depreciate, if you're selling a second hand game for nearly the same price as brand new, I'll just buy brand new at least I know I'm not gambling much on the condition. 

4 hours ago, Silocia said:

I think that price is expensive. Not sure about NA prices but in the UK they're essentially wanting full price for pre-owned games. 

Thats the major issue I've found trying to buy games from Marketplace people don't seem to understand that games depreciate, if you're selling a second hand game for nearly the same price as brand new, I'll just buy brand new at least I know I'm not gambling much on the condition. 

Item by item, Amazon is more expensive. Especially when you consider that they struggle to keep PS5 consoles in stock. So you’re paying extra just to have it shipped to you. 

Also, most of those PS5 games that he offered only date back to last summer. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is still being charged too much money. 

I never sell my games, so I'm strictly a buyer. But I use eBay for 99% of my purchases...not even just video games, I'll buy essential things I need from there too. I use "Accepts Offers" and "Free Shipping" as filters, so I usually get things for cheaper than I could anywhere else. But I price compare a lot as well. 

Amazon has the convenience...but I'm not a Prime Member (it costs too much), unless I have a free month waiting for me. So since I'm usually trying to get my games for under $20...they charge you shipping if it's not $25 or more...so I tend to not even look there anymore. 

I've started using Mercari and OfferUp more too. Only issue with these sites are you have to pay attention to when something was listed...if it's been months then the seller likely forgot all about it, but the shit part being they have the best price for the item on the whole site. Both sites also allow you to make offers too...so if that's available I'll always take a shot. 

Gamestop and Walmart are very rare. I used to use Best Buy a lot when they had their Gamers Club Unlocked deal going ($30 for 2 Years, and you got 20% off all new (not used) games), but they haven't been worth it since shutting that down. Got my PS5 for retail price from Best Buy though, so they aren't totally useless. 

All in all, I try my damndest to get things cheaper than I normally would. It can be a lot of negotiating back and forth, a lot of sellers not wanting to budge past a $1 or $2 off their price (which gets a decline from me because what's the point of even accepting offers?), but it's worth it to stretch my dollar as much as I can. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, theSpirae said:

Listing the games on eBay doesn't cost you anything. Why not put it up there before you find a better place/site?

The issue is I'm hesitant to make a seller account. At this point I'm just having a bunch of games collect dust that I haven't played since 2014 - 2016. You wait long enough and you might see PS3 era games become collector items on their own.

However, I don't think anything is ever going to top highly sought after Nintendo games of the past. A copy of Earthbound in mint condition is one of the most prized games out there, I remember checking it on eBay years ago and it was going for around $1000. It's probably more now.

A number of NES games have reached ridiculous prices. Highly valuable by gaming collectors.

• 10 months later...

I have a ton of PS3/PS4 games for sale. I did have them up on Scambay... cough cough... I meant Rape-You-In-The-Ass-With-Feesbay... erm, oops, I meant EBAY! I accidentally went over their 600 dollar bullshit limit (so I guess that means I have to file that damn 1099-K form???). Out of the $650 I made I only $400 because of their ridiculous fees and the shipping cost. Anyway, blah, blah, blah - who cares.

WHERE can I sell the rest I have? I have $1,200 worth of games left (if going by the cheapest each game is being priced at on Ebay). I have everything up on Craig's List but that was like almost a week ago and not a peep. Likely a dead marketplace around my way.