Playing RDR1 Before RDR2

SCREWBWOI

Hi, I just started RDR2 after recently finishing RDR1 (Amazing Game)

Would like to know does knowing the events of the first game spoil the experience for you or make it better in RDR2. Also anyone who played the games opposite way, how was the experience?

Please let me know without spoiling of course.

Edited by SCREWBWOI

RDR2 takes place 11 or 12 years before RDR1, so the first game's story will have no impact on that of the second game.

If anything, it just means that you'll know that certain characters from RDR2 may survive the game, as they may show up again during RDR1.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

RDR2 takes place 11 or 12 years before RDR1, so the first game's story will have no impact on that of the second game.

If anything, it just means that you'll know that certain characters from RDR2 may survive the game, as they may show up again during RDR1.

I have trust issues from the first game as anyone can die. So I have a feeling of who may die in this game?. Did it make your experience better?

10 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

I haven't played RDR2's story yet.  I'm still working up the courage to tackle such a time-consuming platinum . :D

Ahh I understand, I haven't platinum the first one myself yet, just thought let me play both stories first and then tackle them in my own time as they are very highly rated games and I will end up getting spoiled if I don't play them.

Just keep playing, you will have the story of the first game fresh, you can get a few mentions of throwbacks to the first game but everything that can be said, probably will be a spoiler. So, keep playing, try to keep the same horse the entire game, don't put too much effort on trophies, just do everything you can before a Main Mission and enjoy the story.

Edited by ChecoMayor

I've finished RDR1 on X360 back then, and got its plat last year (I guess) when I bought RDR2.

I'd say it would certainly be a different experience, but I can't say which way I think it would be better to swallow the series' story... I guess both ways work pretty well.
Being honest, knowing that certain characters would/wouldn't die isn't more interesting than knowing how they'll meet their fate.

On 25/04/2022 at 5:16 AM, celobrock said:

I've finished RDR1 on X360 back then, and got its plat last year (I guess) when I bought RDR2.

I'd say it would certainly be a different experience, but I can't say which way I think it would be better to swallow the series' story... I guess both ways work pretty well.
Being honest, knowing that certain characters would/wouldn't die isn't more interesting than knowing how they'll meet their fate.

I'm on chapter 2 now, I was abit iffy that it might ruin my experience but honestly I feel like playing RDR1 was great because I have a connection with the characters already. I think the story will be more interesting on what happened before the events of the first game. I also love the fact that it is from another characters perspective.

On 25/04/2022 at 3:41 AM, ChecoMayor said:

Just keep playing, you will have the story of the first game fresh, you can get a few mentions of throwbacks to the first game but everything that can be said, probably will be a spoiler. So, keep playing, try to keep the same horse the entire game, don't put too much effort on trophies, just do everything you can before a Main Mission and enjoy the story.

Yeah atm I'm just gonna complete the main story as I've heard great things about both games, my initial concerns have gone now that I'm on chapter 2. I think this perspective will make the game more interesting and emotional.

On 25/04/2022 at 3:15 AM, vegetollo7 said:

Playing the first game won't spoil the story or enjoyment of the prequel. Just play it organically and take it all in. 

Yeah I think the story will be interesting. I have no regrets atm, RDR2 seems like it will be one of my favourites.

On 25/04/2022 at 2:44 AM, KingGuy420 said:

You should just play it. I was about to explain it but honestly, my explanation might give spoilers. Or clues to spoilers. Just play it and don't worry lol.

Will do, thanks for the reply

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 1:34 AM, StewartBros said:

I haven't played RDR2's story yet.  I'm still working up the courage to tackle such a time-consuming platinum . :D

RDR2 single player is one of the best single player experiences of all time, it’s in my top 5 and Il bet it’s going to be a very long time before something else drops it out of that top 5, I highlight the single player because the other half (online mode) is complete trash, and with a 200h+ story mode If you do everything it has to offer, the online really isn’t needed, or wanted by most, there’s much better online games to play let’s leave it there. 
But Rockstar like to support their games with online to keep cash flow rolling in because they only release 1 game every 7yrs or so, but that’s because of the effort they put in to the single player, it takes that long to do, my point being, while the online is trash and adds 50h of grind on top of a 200h story that you DONT want to end, don’t restrict amazing games because of time? I played a 500h+ plat in Elite Dangerous because i enjoy space sims, yeah I could’ve had 15-20 mediocre plats instead but I don’t regret a second I spent on that, even if the plat was a struggle lol 

Ofc do what you want dude, but hell if trophy hunting meant I stopped playing great games just to pop a few plats I couldnt give a damn about I’d quit immediately.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, St-Lonit said:

Since it's a prequel, I think it's rather obvious RDR2 should be played first. Unfortunately, I played the first one when it came out, so I spoiled a lot for myself, If I had the choice I would do it the other way around, the game could do with a remaster

Yeah loved both games. Hopefully remaster will come for rdr and a ps5 version of rdr2

On 25/4/2022 at 2:13 AM, SCREWBWOI said:

Hi, I just started RDR2 after recently finishing RDR1 (Amazing Game)

Would like to know does knowing the events of the first game spoil the experience for you or make it better in RDR2. Also anyone who played the games opposite way, how was the experience?

Please let me know without spoiling of course.

Well u can imagine what will happen to certain characters since there are not in the first game. Quite obvious.

But it is interesting to know the context that drives you to RDR1.