May 2022's PS+ Games - Tribes of Midgard, Curse of the Dead Gods, and FIFA 22

Abby_TheLastofUs

I really like Tribes of Midgard and recommend giving it a go. 

It’s a blend of genres that many find difficult and jarring to begin with, which explains the surprisingly low user score found within the OP. Take your friends in with you because it’ll likely be a clusterfuck for the first few days with all the newbies. 

A successful run often takes at least an hour and a half, which might make you balk but is actually one of my favourite aspects. The game mixes the relaxation of a farming sim with the stressful race against time of a survival sim, and I’m a big fan of committing to a run that lets me wind down in the early stages before ramping the intensity up later on. 

It was only £15 at release so don’t expect the world, but for what it’s worth the devs are the rare breed of people that actually care about their product and continue to make positive additions all across the board. 

Trophies are fairly simple although you do have to reach max season pass rank. Thankfully seasons last many months, however once you’re accustomed to victory the game is particularly formulaic. 

-

Curse is a really solid game but FIFA on PS4 is so typical it felt like I rewound 8 years of my life. Football fans might wanna give it a go on PS5 as it has a different engine or something to that effect. 

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 1

FIFA?! I'm not knocking those that enjoy that game, but the last time they tried to offer a soccer (Futbol) game on plus it got a TON of backlash to the point they took the game out for that month and put in another game in its place. I think they offered it in other parts of the world, so correct me if I'm wrong on that part. But I'd rather see Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 remastered or even Sekiro to take FIFA's place for May. Tribes of Midgard I nearly bought last year so I'm glad I didn't. 

Just now, arcanehornet_ said:

Remember when we used to have one or two triple A games for PS4, a game for PS Vita, and a game for PS3?

I remember.

Now there’s no PS3/Vita games, and just random schlock most of the time.

Remember when they gave us a different PS3 game every week? I damn sure do!! Got a LOT of great games in my PS3 backlog as a result. 

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lf0840c.png

For anyone unsure, note - this game is great.

One of the best rogue-likes I've played - ended up ranking it even slightly above Hades, which probably tells any Rogue-like fan all they need to know about how much I liked it 1f602.png

If anyone who wants to know more about it, I wrote a review HERE

Between Slay the Spire, Invisible Inc, Rogue Legacy, and now Curse of the Dead Gods, it's pretty amazing how many of the best rogue-likes on playstation have been part of PS+ over the years!

How dare you write something positive in a PS+ thread! You, sir, are a monster.

• Like 1

Easily the worst month for me PERSONALLY, i mean FIFA....really? The other two games I have no interest in, April had better games and I thought April's games kinda sucked, worst month so far...

(I'll still be redeeming them tho since ya know...FREE GAMES WAHOO!!

here's hoping June brings in some BIG DOGS cuz thats when the new ps plus system is introduced

(ok upon further inspection, Curse of the Dead Gods actually looks interesting)

Edited by Exeshow678

Not a bad month at all. FIFA is not good for most of us, but casual players will like it and at least they're giving the latest version and not the 2014 edition or something dumb like that. I've played Tribes on PC and it's fun, specially with friends, you can play with up to 10 people or solo if you would like (difficulty is adjusted according to that). CotDG looks fun and I've only heard good things about it from other members.

• Like 1

i've played curse through share play, it's genuinely awesome. one of those types of games where the difficulty doesn't feel like a chore since the game is so good to back it up. but it has some rock solid moments im definitely gonna be getting that done. fuck the others though, cheese :S

thanks abby great info as per usual

5 hours ago, Batmannequin said:

Whether it's your sort of game or not (for me it's not, really, tbh), FIFA is an absolutely massive get for PSPlus. Objectively it's probably the biggest game to be on Plus in years 

Yes, trying to expand their audience.  Similar to when we got NBA 2K16 and 2K20 I think it was.  Great games.

4 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

I really doubt the latest version of fifa will ever be a free ps plus title

I bet it will.  Same leaker who is batting 100%.

This would be the time to release FIFA as it just a few months before the next release.  See when NBA 2K was released on PS Plus (also a highly popular title).

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Lf0840c.png

For anyone unsure, note - this game is great.

One of the best rogue-likes I've played - ended up ranking it even slightly above Hades, which probably tells any Rogue-like fan all they need to know about how much I liked it ?

If anyone who wants to know more about it, I wrote a review HERE

Between Slay the Spire, Invisible Inc, Rogue Legacy, and now Curse of the Dead Gods, it's pretty amazing how many of the best rogue-likes on playstation have been part of PS+ over the years!

I almost bought it a few days ago.

How random are the perks or in some way depends on the curse you choose?

Let's say I start choosing the stronger curse of the bunch, does that give me better drops?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoldenShaka said:

I almost bought it a few days ago.

How random are the perks or in some way depends on the curse you choose?

Let's say I start choosing the stronger curse of the bunch, does that give me better drops?

the drop rate and quality of items you get is based on one of your stats - discovery, which you can choose to upgrade rather than strength or dexterity. 

There are other perks that can modify it, but the base level is from that stat.

Generally, the curses / perks are not really categorised as "strong" vs "weak" - they are all just more or less beneficial / detrimental based on how you are playing, and what weapons you have.

Certain curses can actually be really beneficial depending on your style, while certain perks can work against you. (For example, I'm terrible at parrying, so I never parry... so the "curse" that gives you more invincibility frames on dodges, but makes parrying impossible isn't really a curse for me - it's a delightful bonus that I try not to cure!

The whole game is kinda like that - you have to keep switching up how you play, to maximise the benefits of the items you find.

• Like 1

I'm actually pretty interested in two of the games... I've been looking at Tribes of Midgard for a while now and Curse of the Dead Gods sounds like something I'd love to try. 

But let's be real, FIFA is straight up an insult. Why do they still hand out sports games knowing that the majority of the community wants nothing to do with them? 

All in all though, it's a better month for me than the last few have been. 

• Like 1