FFXIV Auction House Question

I really don't need to get into an MMO, or back into one in this case, but I was wondering, do you still have to go through and do a bunch of story missions and dungeons before you can hire a retainer and start selling on the AH? No other MMORPG I've ever played had such a requirement and I'm curious if they've done away with that and have changed it to just hit level 20, or something to that effect, or if it's still the same, thanks.

Edit: I put the game name in the title so people seeing it in the recent topics list will know whether or not they want to click on it without actually having to.

Edit: Thanks for the answers. That told me what I wanted to know so I'm locking the topic.

Edited by BooneJusticius

Considering that the biggest aspect of change from Vanilla to A Realm Reborn was that you had to start with a combat class, rather than any of the Disciplines, it seems rather fair.

Better to introduce you to the game's mechanics than to just push people into individual aspects.

Well, that and it stops people from starting accounts on the sole purpose of flooding the market with items that they possibly used automated programs to farm. We deal with enough bots selling shards as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of other mmos have what you are referring to. But maybe they do it differently and isnt too obvious. SE probably thought this way could slow down or even reduce gil sellers or material farmers and just sell stuff easily on AH. I personally came from a old school mmo playstyle; and it sucks to be hand held thru a lot of the content or feel like you have to do it a certain way. Oh well, times are changing, people are much more casual. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the way SE does the stuff on the game. I don't mind doing my Story Quests to get access to more things to do. It stops Powerleveling to a degree so there's not alot of ppl that don't know what they are doing. It stops alot of the chinese farming. It's fulfilling knowing you worked for it. In all honestly every mmo out there makes you "DO" something to "Earn" something. Let's take WoW for example. You have to level up multiple characters just to be able to make different things, then there's the whole fact of you have to play this certain character to get this certain acheivement. 

But anyway, i'm not a SE fanboi, before someone states that. I personally find FF 14 one of the best mmo's i've played since Ultima Online. The game doesn't make you feel like you have to do anything special to have fun. 

Plus note you don't have to fight chinese farmers over Gathering Nodes either. Ok one more . Atleast SE is trying to put a stop to chinese farmers, unlike certain companies *cough blizzard cough* That don't give a crap anymore. 

Seeing as long as SE's ran an mmo and has yet to drive it into the ground, you should really give it a chance. 

Only dislike I have with the market board/auction house whatever is it sure is annoying to have to go thru with your retainer to put things up for sale.. why couldnt they just stick to the tradition stress free AH? and everything i go thru with retainer it takes my items for sale off the marketboard, till i send her back... what if i organizing my retainer for hours, guess my stuffs wont be sold for hours.