PlayStation has created a Game Preservation team!

Rebourne07

2 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Did a mod stealth change my title? Is that allowed? I created this topic as "Playstation creates Game Preservation team" or something along those lines and now it's "Jim Ryan creates a Game Preservation team for Playstation"

I didn't mention Jim Ryan at all...who did this and why?

...that's kinda weird and borderline sus.

• Like 4

@Rebourne07 @Eraezr @Undead Wolf

This is definitely suspicious. Not too long ago I made a post describing how sexy Jim Ryan is and it got deleted. It wasn't even off topic because it was about a Sony event in which Jim participated.

Anyway on topic, I have no interest in the Game Preservation team until I learn what exactly they do.

Edited by pot1414

5 minutes ago, xh117 said:

Trails in the sky and star ocean 2 please. They are sitting on a goldmine with PSP titles that can be brought over with trophy support, these should be the easiest to port/emulate on ps5.

The enhanced remaster of Star Ocean 2 is already available with trophy support for PS3, Vita, and PS4, just not outside of Japan. So...yeah, really wish they’d get on that (and the enhanced version of the original Corpse Party-similar situation) already. 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4016-star-ocean-second-evolution

• Like 2

Good I guess, but I'll believe it when I see it.

6 hours ago, pot1414 said:

@Rebourne07 @Eraezr @Undead Wolf

This is definitely suspicious. Not too long ago I made a post describing how sexy Jim Ryan is and it got deleted. It wasn't even off topic because it was about a Sony event in which Jim participated.

Anyway on topic, I have no interest in the Game Preservation team until I learn what exactly they do.

There have been a lot of post deletions and title changes with no notice or reason given lately.

• Like 3

What I'm hoping for, best case scenario, is that PSPlus Premium launches with 15-20 classic games per system and they are all upscaled with trophy support already. Then the "outcry" will be that that number isn't high enough and this team is in place to add new games continually. 

This is interesting and, above all, sounds very positive of the PS brand that they're finally taking game preservation as a serious matter, which it is. Hell, they can make it profitable too within reason and preserve games at the same time. It's a win-win situation for gamers and businesses alike if they do it right

As for whether they'll do it right or not, well, that remains to be seen. I kinda want to believe they will. Hopefully, this will mean we'll be getting tons of classic games from past eras in the new tiers for PS+ they are advertising, properly emulated, with trophy support, and with the respect they deserve.

• Like 4

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

From what I've been hearing (from various podcasts and other forums), "Game Preservation" likely has more to do with archiving games internally at Sony. Stuff like source code and assets.

It might have nothing at all to do with emulating/porting previous consoles' games on PS5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GanjiMex said:

Not being able to use original PS3 discs = Scam

If you think it's a scam then you obviously have no idea how complicated the PS3's cell processor really is, and how much of a nightmare emulating it is.

The PS3 architecture is so different to the PS4 & PS5 that it might as well be a completely different console brand entirely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

If you think it's a scam then you obviously have no idea how complicated the PS3's cell processor really is, and how much of a nightmare emulating it is.

The PS3 architecture is so different to the PS4 & PS5 that it might as well be a completely different console brand entirely.

Can't they just do something ala PS4 Pro? Like releasing a much more expensive console but with all the emulation stuff, seeing how a lot of people still have their old PS3 discs lying around, it might be a better idea than just "Here, take 3 or 4 digital games that NOBODY played while giving us all your cash"

Edited by GanjiMex

13 minutes ago, GanjiMex said:

Can't they just do something ala PS4 Pro? Like releasing a much more expensive console but with all the emulation stuff, seeing how a lot of people still have their old PS3 discs lying around, it might be a better idea than just "Here, take 3 or 4 digital games that NOBODY played while giving us all your cash"

You're assuming a "PS5 Pro" would even be powerful enough to be capable of running a PS3 emulator without issues. It might not be financially viable to make one that is, as it would end up costing too much and not enough people would buy it.

When Sony released the PS3, it was backward compatible with the PS2, which was another console that was structurally different to it, and it was so highly priced that it put a lot of people off buying it and they decided to buy 360s instead. Sony don't want to make that same mistake again. I don't even know how many people even used their PS3s to play PS2 games at that time, but maybe it wasn't a lot. Also, while NA models had hardware emulation of PS2, EU models had to make do with software emulation, probably in a way to cut costs of manufacturing. Sony will have figures on how many PS3 games are streamed from PS Now members, and will know themselves if something is financially viable to do.

Edited by Stevieboy

2 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Also, while NA models had hardware emulation of PS2, EU models had to make do with software emulation, probably in a way to cut costs of manufacturing. 

I'm pretty sure later NA models also had software emulation of PS2 (such as my 80 GB BC model), and it worked just fine. 

Bit of a tangent, but while I don't know the intricacies of PS3 emulation, but I still think there would be a market for a legacy console with BC through all previous consoles. Not a huge market, but they could sell such systems at a bit of a premium, anyway, to cover it. Even if the PS3 is unattainable, the PS2 and PS1 should be fine.

Edited by starcrunch061

22 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Bit of a tangent, but while I don't know the intricacies of PS3 emulation, but I still think there would be a market for a legacy console with BC through all previous consoles. Not a huge market, but they could sell such systems at a bit of a premium, anyway, to cover it. Even if the PS3 is unattainable, the PS2 and PS1 should be fine.

Sony has the sales figures for PS1 & PS2 games that were sold on the PSN store that were playable on the PS3, as well as the sales figures for the PS2 games that were released for PS4 with trophy support and enhanced visuals. Now while I don't know how well the PS1 & PS2 games sold for PS3, I do know the reason the PS2 on PS4 games suddenly stopped being made were because they didn't really sell all that well. Sony has to know there will be a big enough market for them to justify the costs for making a system that will run older games, and a big enough market that'll pay the extra costs for said system and I think Sony doesn't believe the market will be big enough based on what they already know.

Let's be honest here, how many PS1 and PS2 games do you think the average gamer will actually play on a beefed up PS5 console that has BC, or even if the average gamer would want to pay the extra costs for such a machine in the first place.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I'm pretty sure later NA models also had software emulation of PS2 (such as my 80 GB BC model), and it worked just fine. 

The 80gb model had software emulation instead of the Emotion Engine the original 60gb model had. 

Emotion Engine had backward compatibility support for 99% of PS2 games. Software emulation had close to 80%. For those ~80%, yes. It worked just fine. 

I believe there is a small, but significant market for a bc PS5 model, but only if they put in the R&D to open a new chip fab and relicense the cell processor from IBM and manage to shrink it down by over 75% so they can make a limited model with the chip onboard for nearly 100% compatibility. If they sell a million of them for a $100 premium, they’ll probably come close to paying off the R&D and investment costs. Then they’d need to convince people to buy PS3 games again to actually make profits back from the investment. 

9 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Soft reminder that a PS3 emulator exists and is pretty accurate function wise for most PS3 games.