Sonic 1,2, and CD delisting May 20

MidnightDragon

4 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Remember Mission 53 and 54 from Icecap? The snowboard level. Those two missions were the most difficult objectives in the entire game, and took me hours pounding my head at them to finally push my way through. 

What stung even more was when I found out they removed the rewards you received in the GameCube version for completing every Mission: Access to emulated Sonic Game Gear games. On the PS3 all you get is the :gold:Mission All Accomplished trophy. Of course, the trophy is what we're here for, but I definitely got a bit salty knowing we could have had more.

Haha dude, after the Chao racing nonsense, I just thought nah, some of these time trials are just bullshit. I really Sonic Adventure but like most games, never in a hurry to 100% on them when I'm not having fun. Shame though since 90% of the challenges are great fun. Thumbs to you for sticking with it though.

15 minutes ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

I will never understand the hype of Sonic CD. It wasn't that great at all. 

B2T Delisting still sucks and it's sadly the same routine as for the GTA series. The OG GTAs got delisted because of the Definitive Edition.

Sonic CD has the best OST of all Sonic games, well the Japanese version anyway. :D

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Haha dude, after the Chao racing nonsense, I just thought nah, some of these time trials are just bullshit. I really Sonic Adventure but like most games, never in a hurry to 100% on them when I'm not having fun. Shame though since 90% of the challenges are great fun. Thumbs to you for sticking with it though.

Sonic CD has the best OST of all Sonic games, well the Japanese version anyway. :D

For me personally the best Sonic Game will be Sonic The Hedgehog from the SMS. Timeless Soundtrack. But everybody have different tastes right? ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

For me personally the best Sonic Game will be Sonic The Hedgehog from the SMS. Timeless Soundtrack. But everybody have different tastes right? ?

Indeed. Weirdly Sonic CD is the true Sonic 2, since it was made by Sonic Team who made Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 was made mostly by a new team in America. Love both of the games though.

Sonic CD is honestly fantastic if you get into hit, also, the PS3 version isn't just a Megadrive ROM like Sonic 1 and 2. It's a sort of remake by a fan released by Sega so it's improved and is 60fps.

Each to their own of course. I never had SMS Sonic 1 but I had it on Game Gear which is almost the same. I liked it a lot too. Not as good as Megadrive though and that's mainly because the gameplay feels a bit too different for my liking.

Like you say though. everybody has different tastes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Indeed. Weirdly Sonic CD is the true Sonic 2, since it was made by Sonic Team who made Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 was made mostly by a new team in America. Love both of the games though.

Sonic CD is honestly fantastic if you get into hit, also, the PS3 version isn't just a Megadrive ROM like Sonic 1 and 2. It's a sort of remake by a fan released by Sega so it's improved and is 60fps.

Each to their own of course. I never had SMS Sonic 1 but I had it on Game Gear which is almost the same. I liked it a lot too. Not as good as Megadrive though and that's mainly because the gameplay feels a bit too different for my liking.

Like you say though. everybody has different tastes.

Wow I never knew that.  Thanks.

Maybe it's a little bit of nostalgia too because STH was my first video game which I've ever played. I can't stand the Game Gear Version of STH because of the zoom. It looks so weird but at least it runs smoother than the SMS version. Perfomance wise I would say that the SMS had the worst performance. On some stages it's like you played it with 5 fps hahah

artworks-6hMwbQ90ZKH6Lxdg-6DCncA-t500x50

Whatever happened to “Fun is Infinite?” Hard for something to be infinite when it’s delisted. Lol

Excited to have the new collection coming out, but I also hate the idea of others simply not having the option to own the individual titles down the line. I’m thankful I had these and got the trouble trophies out of the way already.

Side note, was there any reason why we never got Sonic 3/& Knux as a stand-alone title on PS3 like the others? I know it was in other collections, but I was just curious.

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SmileSlice said:

Side note, was there any reason why we never got Sonic 3/& Knux as a stand-alone title on PS3 like the others? I know it was in other collections, but I was just curious.

Purely a hunch, but I'm guessing that Michael Jackson was part of the reason why Sonic 3 & Knuckles wasn't on there.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was released in early 2009, just months before Jackson's death. The standalone titles didn't come until later on, in 2011. We basically got Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD, but not Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That is in my opinion the epitome of the classic era of Sonic. I felt Sonic 3 was too short on its own and having that save state feature trivialized the game in contrast to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 which had to be done in one go. Sonic 3 & Knuckles really brought out the whole experience as you got an extended adventure taking you to some pretty exotic areas, including an Egyptian style tomb.

I never saw Michael Jackson's name in the Sonic 3 credits and he may of asked to get his name removed, as he did some shit that wasn't exactly pleasant.

Still, I think charging over $40 for the Sonic Origins collection is too much, and the only reason I would buy it is for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I've already done Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

31 minutes ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

Wow I never knew that.  Thanks.

Maybe it's a little bit of nostalgia too because STH was my first video game which I've ever played. I can't stand the Game Gear Version of STH because of the zoom. It looks so weird but at least it runs smoother than the SMS version. Perfomance wise I would say that the SMS had the worst performance. On some stages it's like you played it with 5 fps hahah

I had some older cousins who had both the Game Gear and Sega Master System versions of Sonic. Never had the chance to play them thru.

Sonic 2 will always be one of my all time favorites. Played it back in 1993 - 1996 when I was just starting school. Feels like so long ago at this point. Goes to show our age and how long we've been gaming.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Sonic 2 will always be one of my all time favorites. Played it back in 1993 - 1996 when I was just starting school. Feels like so long ago at this point. Goes to show our age and how long we've been gaming.

Literally the very first video game I ever touched as a kid. ?

To date though, I think my favourite still has to be a tie between Sonic Adventure 2 and (yes, lol) Sonic Shuffle.

I must have burned a hole through my Dreamcast with how much I ran those two discs. Lol

• Like 1

The best thing I ever bought for the Mega Drive, Also plays Sega/Mega CD without the cd. I wonder how Krikzz is? He is in the Ukraine. Anyway this and a scart cable plus retrotink 5 x = pure bliss.

612b+UFmrPL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Edited by Z1MZUM

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic 1 and 2 are officially delisted from the PS3 Store, however Sonic CD still seems to be up as of May 25th, so if anyone still wants to grab that last minute, it looks like you're in luck.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:14 AM, JAY_TONY_EVO said:

Does anyone know if the servers are shutting down for sonic 2 tomorrow? If so I need to do that online trophy tonight!

I know you already obtained it, but for anyone else who doesn't know, Sonic 2's online still works (at least I assume, it'll let me create a match, no one to play with though lmao), this might be because it used Peer-to-Peer servers, so those *shouldn't* go away as far as I know.

Edited by tomadom64
Forgot a word
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

So I own both sonic 1 & 2 on my old account, decided to redownload them today and they are not in my download list anymore, I've been through the whole thing three times and I can't see them. Restored licences on my ps4 then looked at download list again on ps3 and they're still not there. Other things that have been delisted are still there for example simpsons arcade and Scott pilgrim. Anyone that has the games purchased fancy looking at their dl list and seeing if there still there. 

34 minutes ago, RedbeardRik said:

So I own both sonic 1 & 2 on my old account, decided to redownload them today and they are not in my download list anymore, I've been through the whole thing three times and I can't see them. Restored licences on my ps4 then looked at download list again on ps3 and they're still not there. Other things that have been delisted are still there for example simpsons arcade and Scott pilgrim. Anyone that has the games purchased fancy looking at their dl list and seeing if there still there. 

I had the same problem with sonic 2 and an error just pops up. I hate that i can't get 100% anymore but i've only got myself to blame

55 minutes ago, RedbeardRik said:

Checked mine and they are still there. Did you buy them or get them when plus gave them away years ago?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Checked mine and they are still there. Did you buy them or get them when plus gave them away years ago?

After checking the release dates on plus here...

https://playstation.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Plus_monthly_games_(PAL_region)#2011

Against my trophy timestamps it seems I did indeed get them through plus. I've not had plus on that account for years. Ah well guess I'm not getting the trophies on this account. Thanks for your help. 

Edit- turns out I'd bought Sonic 2 on my NA account years later so I can at least do that one. Sadly Sonic 1 trophies will never ge mine again on ps3 though.

Edited by RedbeardRik