Hints and Tips for beating Expert

Alos88

I just completed Expert, and hope my findings come in handy to those of you looking to attempt it:

• I finished the game once beforehand, getting the Normal ending. Knowing where to go and how to get there is pretty much mandatory, since as long as  you're constantly moving (and know when to hide) you can keep away from the Nun for most of the night.
  • While she's faster than the other modes and kills you in one hit, I found I could still outrun her by fleeing up several flights of stairs, so it really isn't the instant death sentence you might expect if she happens to spot you.
  • Surprisingly, walk- don't run. If you aren't being chased, I found walking is silent enough that I didn't encounter her much. Also, leave the lighter off unless you badly need it- again, she can't see well in the dark and it's often lit well enough that you should be able to make your way around without it.
  • Items like the Radar and Gun aren't very useful at all in this mode (or any other, frankly.) I see them as red herrings, distractions from the key items you'll need to pick up along the way. 
  • I went for the Normal ending on my run since I couldn't find the last TV and I'd already done everything needed for the Normal ending. Better not to risk it if you reach the school section and are basically a few minutes from the Normal ending anyway.
  • Nothing is randomized outside of the Nun. If you're struggling to find an item I strongly recommend a playthrough with the Nun turned off entirely just so you can look around and start piecing together where everything is- it might save you time in the longrun. if a room happens to be unlocked in one playthrough and not another it's because the Nun has used it, but even this isn't too common a problem and you can unlock every door she can regardless.
  • it's actually possible to sneak around the Nun in certain large areas- I managed this as she entered the first-floor hub (the one connecting the two sides of the building, it has a kitchen and an outside area crucial to the Normal ending.) Be sure your lighter is off and that you walk around as opposed to run, or she'll instantly spot you.
Edited by Alos88
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried it awhile back just to experiment, from what I can tell it only makes her appearance a lot rarer, kinda sucks but the game is really vague on what 'turn off jumpscares' actually means. At least you can turn off that horrible noise if it upsets you, lol
(There's a trophy for messing with these two settings too)

Edited by Alos88

Did the patch that released yesterday fuck up the Extreme Difficulty?

I played through the game on Medium to get some knowledge of the map.

Switched to Extreme and the entire screen is just pure black?

I mean the description is its a bit darker than other difficulties but complete black?

1814da3013899-screens2mjhf.jpg

If I select the Circus Scenario and Extreme its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I’m really struggling on Extreme. Must have done 30+ playthroughs (usually up to just before or after the screwdriver/hex key) but the moment she spots me I can never react in time. I hate to say it but I’m really growing a bit worried I’ll never manage it. The absolute darkness (as seen in that screenshot a few posts above) is just so hard to navigate without the lighter active. :( 

8 hours ago, liammill18 said:

Man, I’m really struggling on Extreme. Must have done 30+ playthroughs (usually up to just before or after the screwdriver/hex key) but the moment she spots me I can never react in time. I hate to say it but I’m really growing a bit worried I’ll never manage it. The absolute darkness (as seen in that screenshot a few posts above) is just so hard to navigate without the lighter active. :( 

I strongly recommend turning the lighter off and walking instead of running when you can- you can still avoid her decently enough with the lighter on, she seems to respond to running a lot more, but there are a few areas where there's enough light to unequip it for awhile. As for getting spotted, it's still possible to outrun her as long as you don't mind taking a bit of a detour (running all the way upstairs tends to help).
Edit: Holy shit they've completely broken Extreme, what were they thinking? Yeah you're going to need to unlocked the Circus mode to play Extreme now, apparently that mode doesn't have this insane, unplayable darkness to it.

Edited by Alos88

On 6/20/2022 at 6:16 AM, Alos88 said:

I strongly recommend turning the lighter off and walking instead of running when you can- you can still avoid her decently enough with the lighter on, she seems to respond to running a lot more, but there are a few areas where there's enough light to unequip it for awhile. As for getting spotted, it's still possible to outrun her as long as you don't mind taking a bit of a detour (running all the way upstairs tends to help).
Edit: Holy shit they've completely broken Extreme, what were they thinking? Yeah you're going to need to unlocked the Circus mode to play Extreme now, apparently that mode doesn't have this insane, unplayable darkness to it.

Yeah, at this point I'm wondering if I'll have to relearn the Circus layout since the darkness is so impossible to traverse in a lot of places. I really appreciate your input. <3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/6/2022 at 9:41 PM, urfavoritefitch said:

Don't know if anyone still cares, but someone found a glitch that allows you to get it done in 5 minutes. However, this method might take you multiple tries. Here's the video:

Despite the latest patch 1.08, this is still possible.

Thanks so much for sharing this technique! I tried to jump my way into the coffin for quite a bit, but only came close a couple of times. 

For anyone else struggling, an easier way to do this is to download the 1.00 version and then glitch your way into the good ending. Get the screwdriver and bring a toilet lid with you to the pit where you'd use the cross to float up. Use the same principle of bouncing on the lid to work your way up on the ledge. 

The jumping didn't work exactly the same as it does in the glitch video, but I was still able to work my way up. It looks like there's a big lip, but it didn't seem to stop me. I found this to be a much simpler approach. 

Edited by Sukwendo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Sukwendo said:

Thanks so much for sharing this technique! I tried to jump my way into the coffin for quite a bit, but only came close a couple of times. 

For anyone else struggling, an easier way to do this is to download the 1.00 version and then glitch your way into the good ending. Get the screwdriver and bring a toilet lid with you to the pit where you'd use the cross to float up. Use the same principle of bouncing on the lid to work your way up on the ledge. 

The jumping didn't work exactly the same as it does in the glitch video, but I was still able to work my way up. It looks like there's a big lip, but it didn't seem to stop me. I found this to be a much simpler approach. 

is this basically what this video is doing

11 hours ago, GoonerLukeThe said:

is this basically what this video is doing

I saw that jump when I was looking for alternatives as well, but it was patched out some time ago. It's not the approach I used, but unless you're speedrunning, there's no need to be that fast. Downgrade to 1.00 to remove the invisible wall and then bring a toilet lid with you to be safe and you'll be able to get up. Much easier than the coffin clip and jump. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sukwendo said:

I saw that jump when I was looking for alternatives as well, but it was patched out some time ago. It's not the approach I used, but unless you're speedrunning, there's no need to be that fast. Downgrade to 1.00 to remove the invisible wall and then bring a toilet lid with you to be safe and you'll be able to get up. Much easier than the coffin clip and jump. 

do you know if patch 1.01 fixed that invisible wall or not? it seems as if that's the lowest I can downgrade to

2 hours ago, GoonerLukeThe said:

do you know if patch 1.01 fixed that invisible wall or not? it seems as if that's the lowest I can downgrade to

I don't, but that doesn't make sense to me. I downgraded to 1.00 earlier this year, I'm pretty sure. But either way, go the lowest you can go and you should be fine. Doesn't take long to get there. 

Try 1.01, then, and see what you get. The 1.00 downgrade is performed on a PS4. If you allocate the system storage to pending downloads, you can trick the system into downloading the base game separate from any patches. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:19 PM, Sukwendo said:

Try 1.01, then, and see what you get. The 1.00 downgrade is performed on a PS4. If you allocate the system storage to pending downloads, you can trick the system into downloading the base game separate from any patches. 

the toilet lid jump in the pit works on the 1.01 patch, finally I just gave it a shot :) I tried on easy first just to see and it's all good, I know the route fast and off by heart so extreme will be next :)

On 4/19/2024 at 10:39 PM, GoonerLukeThe said:

the toilet lid jump in the pit works on the 1.01 patch, finally I just gave it a shot :) I tried on easy first just to see and it's all good, I know the route fast and off by heart so extreme will be next :)

Glad to hear it worked for you! Much easier than clipping through the wall.